exinfris

Stripping models

So after applying a primer coat to a group of Stormtroopers I gave them a white base coat with a some spray paint.

Don't know if it was because the can is old (normally don't use white spray paint), or what, but the paint went on blotchy with a rough texture to it. 

Does anyone know of a safe way to strip FFG's models. I'm not certain about the type of plastic it is, and don't want to ruin the models. Normally I use 90% rubbing alcohol to strip GW models.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a single model ... 

Try Simple Green

Leave it for 1-2 hours

Take a soft tooth brush; gently run the brush over the model, while running it under just warm water

See if it takes a little off.  Don't force it

Then, put it back in the Simple Green.  Leave for a little bit. Take a little more off.  

If it was a non-acrylic spray paint, then I am not sure if this works.  If it was an acrylic paint, it should work.

Gentle; patient and don't go all-in with every model in the solution.  Oh, and don't let it sit for days on end, while thinking that will make it cleaner.  

Been to this movie.  Ruined a model.  Lessons learned.  Try to pass it on.

Simple green works great.  Dilute it 50/50 with water.  Also, if you have $20 to get a sonic jewelry cleaner this really speeds up the process.  Five minutes in the sonic bath and a lot of the paint will flake off on its own.  Primer tends to be harder but it will come off with a soft brush or s toothpick in the hard to reach spots. 

The chemicals and the sonic bath won’t damage the plastic at all.  If you go nuts with the toothbrush you might leave scratches but that’s about it.

Edited by BigBadAndy

15 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

Simple green works great.  Dilute it 50/50 with water.  Also, if you have $20 to get a sonic jewelry cleaner this really speeds up the process.  Five minutes in the sonic bath and a lot of the paint will flake off on its own.  Primer tends to be harder but it will come off with a soft brush or s toothpick in the hard to reach spots. 

The chemicals and the sonic bath won’t damage the plastic at all.  If you go nuts with the toothbrush you might leave scratches but that’s about it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Went to a few shops in my area, but either they didn't have any ultrasonic cleaners or they were too expensive. So I did the Amazon thing and will have it early next week.

I used methylated spirits to strip the paint + primer of a Storm Trooper I'd being testing paints on. I left it to soak for a few minutes, then gave it a light scrub with an old toothbrush, let it soak another few minutes and scrubbed lightly again. Everything came off really easily.

Chances are the paint started drying in the air before it got your model. This happened to me once upon time.

If it's a hot day, you might just want to wait until the sun it's on its way down or the next day, early on the morning. You can also take your chances and hold the can a bit closer but you risk laying down too much primer and muddying the details.