VAYASAN

Scariff mk2

Posted this previously but I have now updated it with more land and light / heavy cover scattered around and added some water effects.  Tried to make the cover looked likeit wasnt just puyt there for gaming reasons....but its a hard balance.

The Waters Gloss Varnish is fresh on so its a bit shiny atm.

Only other thing I might add is some base ground markings for the landing area.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: people sitting

Image may contain: table and outdoor

1 hour ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

That looks awesome! 

What terrain rules do you use for the water? 

I think it would be fun to call it difficult terrain, but also, if you're standing in it, maybe it provides light cover? Since you can say it's waist deep. 

I have experimented a little and still dont have a final answer ?

I have tried-

No effect...it takes up a large portion of the table..a lot to cross in certain areas and the troops on R1 seem to run through the shallows easy enough(its meant to be shallow too).

Light Cover for infantry...no effect on movement.  Kind of like it in theory, but dont like the idea of troops just staying in it on purpose.

Light cover for troops on turn 1 only.  Not even sure why..just so people are more inclined to start in it.

I think im liking no effect best in truth....theres plenty of other cover on the map I think.

6 minutes ago, hemblecreations said:

Looks awesome and what brand of palm trees did you use as I'm looking for some to build a Scarif diorama.

Ron

Thanks.

I just got them off ebay....I think from china, said something like 21 days delivery but arrived in like 5 lol.  18cm tall or so if I recall....very cheap for packs of 10.  I bought two different kinds along with more really cheap plastic plants on eay/china....and some lichen added.(also very cheap)

The map looks great.  I really like the water - it looks very inviting!  Yeah, I can see why it would be tough to make so much of the board difficult terrain.  Maybe make the light blue normal and the deep blue difficult terrain?

8 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Thanks.

I just got them off ebay....I think from china, said something like 21 days delivery but arrived in like 5 lol.  18cm tall or so if I recall....very cheap for packs of 10.  I bought two different kinds along with more really cheap plastic plants on eay/china....and some lichen added.(also very cheap)

Thanks heaps mate.

1 hour ago, hemblecreations said:

Thanks heaps mate.

This was the seller...I think this was 1 of the 2 tpyes of palms I got also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Tropical-Coconut-Palm-Tree-Model-Train-Railroad-Wargame-Scenery-1-65-16cm/281996792181?hash=item41a8519175:g:OekAAOSw9idaP2D4

Other type of palm were from same seller, similar but a darker coloured trunk.

I think the plastic plants were from him also.

Lichen is sooo cheap for loads and imo works great on a variety of boards for light cover.  I put lots of dark green round the bases of the trees and plastic plants.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050430.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xlichen.TRS0&_nkw=lichen&_sacat=0

22 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

The map looks great.  I really like the water - it looks very inviting!  Yeah, I can see why it would be tough to make so much of the board difficult terrain.  Maybe make the light blue normal and the deep blue difficult terrain?

Thats actually a very good idea.

Still workable as it is, but kinda wish id had that idea before spraying .

14 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

This was the seller...I think this was 1 of the 2 tpyes of palms I got also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Tropical-Coconut-Palm-Tree-Model-Train-Railroad-Wargame-Scenery-1-65-16cm/281996792181?hash=item41a8519175:g:OekAAOSw9idaP2D4

Other type of palm were from same seller, similar but a darker coloured trunk.

I think the plastic plants were from him also.

Lichen is sooo cheap for loads and imo works great on a variety of boards for light cover.  I put lots of dark green round the bases of the trees and plastic plants.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050430.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xlichen.TRS0&_nkw=lichen&_sacat=0

I just got two lots of Palm tree's and thanks again for your help mate I really appreciate it.

Thanks folks, some very kind comments.

I think its fair to mention on my behalf, the base of the board was copied from a Legion Facebook post, somebody Called Theiry (might be spelt wrong) which was awesome.  I have made my own changes now but the basic layout was virtually identical in terms of the shore/water shape until I added more land and also added in more light cover etc.

That board is unreal. 

Just a thought - if you added 2 or 3 bridges over the water at various points, you could then had the water function as difficult terrain for troopers (theoretically slowing down in shallow water) but no problem for Repulsor Vehicles. Gives some neat choice too - is it better to rush through or to move towards the designated crossing.

1 hour ago, Copes said:

That board is unreal. 

Just a thought - if you added 2 or 3 bridges over the water at various points, you could then had the water function as difficult terrain for troopers (theoretically slowing down in shallow water) but no problem for Repulsor Vehicles. Gives some neat choice too - is it better to rush through or to move towards the designated crossing.

Nice idea...but for the future maybe.  For Scariff I kind of like the idea of the below pic...although I o like the idea of the darker blue being maybe impacting on movement that somebody mentioned above.

Image result for scariff rogue 1

I love the look of the board with my Uwing parked instead of the Shuttle...but imo it takes up too much space haha.  Be nice if there was a Cargo Lander available but I worry the cost would be too much and also take up too much space.

Edited by VAYASAN

6 hours ago, Boomer_J said:

Great job!!! What did you use for the imperial shuttle?

Thanks.

Its a revell snap together kit.  Ill try find the model number later today when im done with some work stuff.

That is a beautiful table but it seems like a ton of work for something that could quickly get stale game play wise. I am wondering if there is away to make awesome tables like that yet have them modular and tileable so they can be rearranged to make the game play more interesting.