Sign in to follow this  
Dash Two

Base Altering Question

Ok ...

So I ordered this variety back of Evergreen Styrene, as I have some ideas and want to try working with plastic card

There are sheets the same thinness of paper.  Meanwhile, the bases have that molded texture.  

I did a test if pva/water to see, if ligbtly applied, it would level the tops of the bases.  Didn’t work.  So ...

Would a layer of plastic card that thin make the bases illegal, if placed on top to create a flat surface?

It would depend on what the TO has to say about it, but realistically I doubt a thin layer of styrene would make a difference in most if not all cases.  But if a flat surface is what you want, have you considered sanding the top of the bases with some fine sandpaper? I've done it in the past with GW bases, gives a good smooth surface without altering the height of the bases noticeably, and if you're concerned about illegal bases probably a safer bet.

@Mr Tough Guy ... noted and thank you

That styrene is so thin that, if you did not say anything, nobody would notice.  But ... you sort of have to go lowest common denominator/worst case with something like that ... zero fun/all rules type person across from you or in the TO slot

I considered sanding.  My idea, though, would also require making additional marks/notations in the base.  Thus, the styrene concept.

Now, cutting that stuff into 1" circles ... yeah ... not easy.  Bought one of these ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BK7NWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And not helpful at that small of a radius.  Moving onto an EZ Hole Punch.  Just not sure if it will punch styrene.

I really wish FFG would just say “all models in tournament will be treated as standard height models” for the purpose of measurements like line of sight and cover instead of making everyone agonize over a mm of basing material.  It’s all just so silly in a game where we hold the movement templates in the air *as described in the rule book* to move over barriers.

Edited by BigBadAndy

Properly dressed edge and remove the same amount from the bottom of the base.  Flat file and 30 seconds or so. This that I'll be doing on my dark helmet and lonestar conversions.

Would smooth bases be worth casting? I've got some other stuff I want to cast as well an they won't be that hard to cast.

Edited by The captn

On Wednesday, June 06, 2018 at 6:35 AM, The captn said:

....  I'll be doing on my dark helmet and lonestar conversions. 

... go on.... 

Also will you be doing Barf, Princess Vespa, and Yogurt? Flying Winnebago for terrain? 

7 minutes ago, Albertese said:

... go on.... 

Also will you be doing Barf, Princess Vespa, and Yogurt? Flying Winnebago for terrain? 

It's entirely possible. When I do it gets custom cards to match eventually. I have the veers figure and the leftovers from my luke I used to make stormtrooper luke.

FFG recently announced that they'll be making fancier bases with some kinda generic tech-panels and vents molded in. Late Q3 I think? 

So, that's a thing. 

Edited by Albertese

1 hour ago, Dash Two said:

Because I am new to hobbying and trying how to learn to do diff things

Not about time or money

I mean, ok I guess, it's just something I've never seen anyone want to do in 20+ years of wargaming. Cutting precise circles from plasticard already seems like a hassle, then getting them to glue flat seems like another hassle, when you can just buy a perfectly flat 27mm circle of acrylic or MDF, letting you spend your hobby time on practising your painting, sculpting, kitbashing or converting skills.

Using platicard to smooth the top shouldn't change anything for gameplay. My Imperials have a layer of plastic canvass over them for a grating on most of them. I have one set that I had sanded smooth and then used a layer of polyeurethane after painting to try for a very smooth, semi-reflective look (Which I then, accidentally, messed up by using superglue rather than the other options that wouldn't have frosted it and forced me to do other things to make it look semi-right).

11 hours ago, Albertese said:

FFG recently announced that they'll be making fancier bases with some kinda generic tech-panels and vents molded in. Late Q3 I think? 

So, that's a thing. 

Yes and those bases look like they would raise the models. So at least the FFG's official bases would allow for this. It is a thing but we still don't know what kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Yes and those bases look like they would raise the models. So at least the FFG's official bases would allow for this. It is a thing but we still don't know what kind of thing.

It’s hard for me to tell whether or not the official “premium” bases would raise the models.  But i agree it does afford FFG with a terrific opportunity to make a clarifying statement about how they expect basing to be handled in “official” play.  They really only have one choice here - they can either ask the players to be mature about it or they can functionally ban anything interesting from basing.  I prefer the former and then just let players and TOs deal with any issues that arise.  This is infinitely preferable to trying to add a bunch of rules and measurements to the tourney requirements.