Gun4hire

So heres the meta starting to reveal itself.

The 3rd place list you’re missing from the ukge was mine. Fairly similar to a couple of the others:

Veers

4 x stormtroopers plus dlt19

2 x snowtroopers plus flamer and impact grenades

3 x speeder bikes with long range comms 

So let me get your opinion on your imperial list.

Is there anything you would change now?

Does the list deal enough impact to take out at-sts and at-rts?

How do u like the speeder bikes?

How do u think the list stacks up torebel spam like luke, rebel z-6s, and at-rts?

The list definitely needs room to work, a flank for the bikes to exploit and range for the dlt’s and Veers to use. Best deployment is either battle lines or disarray. 

The snow troopers were great even if I did muck them up in my last game. 

Impact was fine, the only at-st I faced I just ignored, was a hassle but not a big issue. 

The tournament was great, the organisers did really well. As a bonus I got to meet Alex Davy!

That sounds awesome! Thanks for your imput bro. 

Now i know most people think vader is not as competitive but i prefer vader over veers. If you were gonna run a competitive vader list and still be a rounded list to compete against anything instead of just a meta kind of deck what would it be?

21 minutes ago, Gun4hire said:

That sounds awesome! Thanks for your imput bro. 

Now i know most people think vader is not as competitive but i prefer vader over veers. If you were gonna run a competitive vader list and still be a rounded list to compete against anything instead of just a meta kind of deck what would it be?

I think at the moment any reasonable list can do well, it’s more key to understand what deployments and objectives work for you and what doesn’t work for your opponent. It’s something I still need a lot more experience with and probably something that made the top two stand out.

30 minutes ago, Gun4hire said:

What do u think of vader, 3 dlt, 2 flamethrower snowtrooper, and 2 bikes?

Or vader, 4 dlt, 1 flamethrower, and 1 at-st

I'm pretty fond of Vader, 2 bikes and bunch of troops.  I think I've run that exactly list to pretty good effect.  I ended up dropping a bike for Veers and Force Choke and was pretty happy with the results, but 2 Bikes is only a bad thing if you misplay them.

For the second list, I've run similar things (Snowtroopers weren't out so I crammed a unit of bikes in instead) and while it works okay, I think its pretty easy to get behind on.  The AT-ST really needs an aim token I find and can get stuck in a bad place without the option of getting it from Veers.  You end up behind on activations, which lets your opponent play really aggressive and deny both Vader and the AT-ST the kind of targets you want for them.  If they have an option to easily neutralize either one (doesn't even require killing; the threat of Luke or Ion can really limit your options) you can quickly end up in a situation where they can focus on your stormtroopers and leave you unable to catch up.

Ultimately, Vader and the AT-ST are probably the only two units in the game that I find just don't work together.  Vader provides absolutely no support for the thing and its advantages are largely redundant with what Vader can accomplish on his own.  

Interesting video on the meta, and in line with what I personally think is the case. So good to know I'm not entirely crazy.

Some interesting notes in regards to the Invader's League tournament (I was in it) - Flametrooper on Snowtroopers wasn't an option because it released after the tournament launched, and I am of the opinion that really impacted list building. It's possible that the Invader's League results are more reflective of the pre-Snowtrooper meta. 

Also a note on Invader's League, the tournament started as a Group Stage event, and then top players from each group moved on to Single Elimination. The video highlights the top 4 (rightfully so) but here are all of the lists that were used in Single Elimination: http://www.invaderleague.com/league/single-elimination-lists Note that in the Group stage we were able to switch our lists between games. One list that was prominently played by a number of the Imperial Players was Double ATST Veers. Several players playing that advanced to the Top 8 I believe. 

But yeah, the assessment is great and I think the morale of the story is you can't skimp on Corps units. I think that 5 or 6 Corps units will be the optimal way to play, at least until Special Forces come out. Then, perhaps, you'll see some variety (fewer Corps in favour of special forces, backed by a Heavy or a Powerful Commander).

15 hours ago, Gun4hire said:

So whats your advice to not misplay the bikes? And what strategy do u use with them to get the most out of them?

The main thing is just recognizing that they're not sturdy enough to stand up to focused fire.  If they're in range of 2-3 enemy units you're probably going to lose at least one of them and then they go down quick.  Keeping them at range 3 of your target is pretty key, but its very trick with the forced move.  It's often better to spend your free move to turn away from your target to get some distance and use your first action to turn back to shoot.  Keeping your target at the edge of the firing arc rather than pointing them directly at it makes it a little easier to keep your distance as well.