Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Deathrain

The vocal minority is an issue

36 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Hey now. No reason to bash Legends fans. I loved legends. It was my entire childhood into adulthood. But I also love the new Disney sequel storyline.

Heh, I see it more as a generalisation against anti-Rose fans... which I don't agree with because I don't think that if you don't like Rose you're automatically an incel alt-right... Some of my friends, and also my girlfriend, didn't really like the character and they're definetly not incel alt-right persons.

I also personnally liked Legends. I grew up playing the West End Games Star Wars RPG before even the Timothy Zahn trilogy came out. When I first read it, it was simply magical to get back into this universe. That we like it or not, for a long time WEG RPG and Legends books is what kept Star Wars alive. If it was not for those, I'm not even sure Georges Lucas would have bothered to write the prequels and give a second (or third) breath. So you at least have to respect them for that. But in the end, I'm personnally glad that Disney decided to erase it and start anew. If Episode 9 is as good as 7 and 8, the Sequel Trilogy could become my favorite out of the three.

Edited by Red Castle

1 minute ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Social media is eating itself. I know a lot of people that don't bother anymore and I wouldn't either if there weren't some good reasons like local play and international hobby groups.

You and me both. 

Local play for my various hobbies is pretty much the only reason I joined and am still on Facebook.

This thread makes me feel that it was the right choice to not participate in any social media type stuff (I had to look up a bunch of labels used it this one, that was quite an eye opener).

Have fun in Virtual-Land, I guess. Today we are going to take a group of kids to see Solo and they are very, very excited. Actually, screaming like a pack of little wookies would be more appropriate. 

Cheers, John

8 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Social media is eating itself. I know a lot of people that don't bother anymore and I wouldn't either if there weren't some good reasons like local play and international hobby groups.

I left Facebook and Twitter a few months ago. Other than organizing x-wing events I don’t miss out.

19 minutes ago, MtnWook said:

This thread makes me feel that it was the right choice to not participate in any social media type stuff (I had to look up a bunch of labels used it this one, that was quite an eye opener).

Have fun in Virtual-Land, I guess. Today we are going to take a group of kids to see Solo and they are very, very excited. Actually, screaming like a pack of little wookies would be more appropriate. 

Cheers, John

Have fun! The movie is quite entertaining, no doubt the kids will love it!

On 6/9/2018 at 6:51 AM, Ironlord said:

"I encourage you all to fill the Star Wars community with inclusiveness, kindness and openness. Make Star Wars content in the spirit of the ideals George Lucas laid down for us to enjoy a long time ago… Do not justify or condone exclusionary behavior. If a person is doing or saying something he/she wouldn’t do or say in real life, it is wrong. If Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Obi-Wan Kenobi would frown upon it, they’re not doing something you should passively allow. If you’re focusing on the negative too much, stop, chill out, do something else and focus on what you love. This is supposed to be fun.

We cannot blow up their Death Star. We can’t Holdo the heck out of their Mega Star Destroyer. But we can drown them out. We can show the bullied that we don’t condone their treatment by these bad actors. We can express the values passed on to us from the Star Wars films and make sure it is known that we reject values in direct opposition to those of our Jedi heroes. Diversity and inclusiveness define everything about Star Wars and as fans of it, it should define us too."

We can fought negativity this but we need to do it together.

Edited by AwesomeJedi

2 hours ago, AwesomeJedi said:

If a person is doing or saying something he/she wouldn’t do or say in real life, it is wrong.

That is the core of the problem with them. They just don't care. When online, they are completely disconnected from reality.

They have created for themselves another online persona where they can act as tough as they want, where they can be as mean as they want, because there is absolutely no consequences. They'll never meet the victim of their hate, so why should they care? They don't see the real damage they're doing. And if they go too far, they can always just log off for a little while and come back later for round 2. Whatever you say to them, they will never care, because that is not really them. If anything, they'll actually find it quite funny because you are lowering yourself to their level.

They are actually regressing to the the most basic morality level, the moral level of a child. There is no right or wrong for them, there is only their own pitiful personnal need. Usually with a child, they won't do something wrong because there might be a punishment. But if you remove the threat of a punishment, they'll do whatever they want, without any care in the world if it is right or wrong, if it might hurt someone. There is me, and only me. My own little world, my own little need.

That is quite sad and pathetic really, that some people feels the need to act diferently on the internet. That some people put their morality aside when they go online. Because I'm pretty sure that most of them would never do what they are doing, never say what they are saying, never act as if nothing can hurt them, if they were in front of the person in real life.

But it's so easy to act tough online...  

28 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

They have created for themselves another online persona where they can act as tough as they want, where they can be as mean as they want, because there is absolutely no consequences. They'll never meet the victim of their hate, so why should they care? They don't see the real damage they're doing. And if they go too far, they can always just log off for a little while and come back later for round 2. Whatever you say to them, they will never care, because that is not really them. If anything, they'll actually find it quite funny because you are lowering yourself to their level.

I would actually say the opposite. That IS really them and they have created a real world persona to hide from the consequences. 

4 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

I would actually say the opposite. That IS really them and they have created a real world persona to hide from the consequences. 

Yes, you are right.

What I meant by that, is that they are using this anonymous online identity to escape from their reality, their real personnal life.

Sadly, in real life, a lot of people will not do something, not because they believe it to be wrong, but simply because there would be a consequence if they do it. So in that sense, you are right. It's in real life that those people are wearing a mask. They're going back to their most inner pitiful self online. And since it's easier for them to find other people like them online, it only gets worst. 

34 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Well if government's are putting people in jail for tweets how can that be true? Sure you're safe in the states but in Europe there are very real consequences.

Look at count dankula he made a joke video meant to be seen by 10 people and ended up spending two years in court.

Police in the UK are actively threatening people on Twitter with jail sentences of they step out of line, but utterly fail to deal with gun fights And acid attacks.

And Twitter won't hesitate to give details as we all know.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, Chucknuckle said:

3obD9a8.jpg

I like the Last Jedi, I didn't like Solo.

But I will admit it is way to easy to dismiss the opposite side as the vocal minority. The people never back anyone, and popular opinion is ever fickle. 

Interesting read on the subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/06/08/star-wars-toxic-fans-kelly-marie-tran-last-jedi-ghostbusters-oceans-8-incredibles/

I quite liked this part: 

I tend to believe that these are just garden-variety racists and misogynistic trolls who use Star Wars fandom as a cover, but the clickbait and a reaction-friendly media is helping to turn their assaults into mainstream news and inflating their voice and their numbers.

and this one:

But now they have a megaphone. I do think we need to figure out a happy medium between outright ignoring them and essentially elevating their voices by turning their every utterance and action into a news story.

You can’t entirely ignore evil. But giving them the attention they so desire partially so you can clap back or offer a perfect response doesn’t help either. If it’s news when men and boys protest an all-women screening of Wonder Woman, it will keep happening. Moreover, their bigotry risks being given a standard “two sides to every story” analysis. It (unintentionally?) gives credence to old-school misogyny and racism under the guise of the geek culture equivalent of “economic anxiety.” But in a media run on clicks and shares, there is zero incentive not to write up every moronic online action and/or “perfect response” as if it’s a news story.

54 minutes ago, McFoy said:

Star Wars: Jar Jar Binks actor Ahmed Best considered suicide

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44708983

That pesky vocal minority probably everyone on this forum striking back as far as episode 1.

There's a difference between hating a choice and being vocal about it, and attacking the actors for their participation.

I still hate Jar Jar Binks, but I have never, and would never lay my issues at Ahmed Best's feet.

9 minutes ago, Sekac said:

There's a difference between hating a choice and being vocal about it, and attacking the actors for their participation.

I still hate Jar Jar Binks, but I have never, and would never lay my issues at Ahmed Best's feet.

Agreed, but Jar Jar and by extension Ahmed have been getting **** from a way bigger proportion of Star Wars fans for almost two decades. It might have been less noteworthy though because he didn't have an Instagram account to shut down back then.

All the actors and producers have made a fortune with the movies. They have chosen to be part of the business. That does not excuse „unfair“ treatment, but the money should soften the impact.

Since I have neither participated in the public criticism nor been responsible for anyone else I don‘t carry guild or compassion. If those people want the extraordinary fame from Star Wars they better make sure the movie is good. Because if it isn‘t they will be rather infamous forever. It has always been that way.

Again, this is no excuse for unfair treatment, but the risk was right there from the beginning. And all those people have taken it with open eyes and failed. So in my idea they should stop crying.

Edited by Ex Officio
Typos

That's a bit victim-blamey though. Like, we all know it's a risk for women to walk home alone, but wouldn't it be better if they could do so safely? Just accepting that it is how it is isn't good enough for me. And neither is laying responsibility for dealing with it on the shoulders of the film makers. I don't know about everyone else, but I interact with a lot of Star Wars fans online and in real life. I think it's my responsibility to call out hyperbole and excessive criticism and personal attacks when I see them. I don't have a problem with respectful debate and critique, but I don't think the hate should be tolerated even tacitly by remaining silent.