Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Deathrain

The vocal minority is an issue

10 hours ago, Red Castle said:

But hey, if you prefer to ignore the harassment problem and think it's all a Disney conspiration to try to boost Solo's sales, you go ahead. I'm not even sure why I bothered answering to you in the first place.

If KMT wasn't given access to a social team and actually saw all the hateful comments directed at her, then that is a pretty stunning condemnation of Disney and their failure to protect their actors. If, on the other hand, KMT's Instagram was being run by a team at Disney, then it's easy to imagine this entire incident is a publicity stunt. NOBODY is claiming that KMT was intentionally harassed by Disney. 

Also, please don't blame the alt-right for this harassment. We are huge Tico fans (#Ticopath), and would never do anything to KMT.  

How can we not love her??????!!!!!!

Dd17715VQAA3RIM?format=jpg

I am pretty certain that she doesn't have to hand over her social media over to Disney when she joined Star Wars. And not every actor will pay for, or even want, a social media team. It is there to promote her, not her movie. 

32 minutes ago, Hedgehobbit said:

If KMT wasn't given access to a social team and actually saw all the hateful comments directed at her, then that is a pretty stunning condemnation of Disney and their failure to protect their actors. If, on the other hand, KMT's Instagram was being run by a team at Disney, then it's easy to imagine this entire incident is a publicity stunt. NOBODY is claiming that KMT was intentionally harassed by Disney. 

Also, please don't blame the alt-right for this harassment. We are huge Tico fans (#Ticopath), and would never do anything to KMT.  

Do you have an uncle Ethan by any chance?

2 hours ago, Hedgehobbit said:

Interesting. I think your message speaks for itself so I’ll just leave it at that.

But tell me, do you think it’s okay for people to harass other people on social media?

9 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Fun fact I cared so little about rose tico I didn't know the actresses name until yesterday, I have no dog in this race, I haven't sent her hate but I also feel zero inclination towards defending this grown woman.

Dopamine addiction isn't one of my vices I don't spend all day every day looking for something to be offended about.

I don't drink coffee for the same reason.

Conspiracy theories about the mouse on the other hand I do find entertaining.

You know, it's not about defending Kelly. That people love, hate or are completely indiferent to her, I really don't care. Nobody can please everyone.

My problem is when this hate moves to the next level and start to be personal insults about race, sex, culture, size, anything. And not just on social media, but in life in general too. Problem is, it's so much easier to do it on social media behind the cover of anonymity. What's even worst is that sometimes people get carried away in their own little hate that they don't even think about the consequences their comments, sometimes what they think is just a simple joke to get some likes, can have on the victim.

I'm not defending Kelly. This could have happened to any other celebrity (and it did) and my stance would still be the same. I'm just having empathy for her. Nobody should have to endure this kind of behavior. It's actually pretty sad that some people feels the need to do it, that they have so much hate in them that they feel the need to insult others.

This is not a call to arm. This is not to start a witch hunt. This is not about the left or right. This is not me looking for something to be offended about. This is simply about showing some empathy for a victim of harassement and hope that in a perfect world, this stupid behavior could stop. That some people seems to want to make it about something else, I'll be honest, leaves me quite speechless.

Edited by Red Castle

11 hours ago, Red Castle said:

But tell me, do you think it’s okay for people to harass other people on social media?

Of course not. I do, however, believe that the way many social media platforms are constructed encourages harassment (probably intentionally). If a system is designed to measure success by the reaction to a post; whether it's Likes, ReTweets, or # of Comments, then users will be rewarded for pushing the bounds of decent behavior just to get noticed. 

When I say, "if you use social media, expect to be harassed", I'm often accused of victim blaming or supporting harassment. But my intention is to condemn how social media platforms are designed to reward bad behavior. Just like how Jimmy Kimmel's "Mean Tweets" segments encourage people to send nasty tweets to celebrities in order to get their tweets read on the show. 

Edited by Hedgehobbit

2 hours ago, Hedgehobbit said:

Of course not. I do, however, believe that the way many social media platforms are constructed encourages harassment (probably intentionally). If a system is designed to measure success by the reaction to a post; whether it's Likes, ReTweets, or # of Comments, then users will be rewarded for pushing the bounds of decent behavior just to get noticed. 

When I say, "if you use social media, expect to be harassed", I'm often accused of victim blaming or supporting harassment. But my intention is to condemn how social media platforms are designed to reward bad behavior. Just like how Jimmy Kimmel's "Mean Tweets" segments encourage people to send nasty tweets to celebrities in order to get their tweets read on the show.

Good! This we can agree with.

So why didn't you just say that at first? Why did you feel the need to make it into something else? Why can't we just for once in the last 6 months all agree that something bad happened, that some fans took their hate too far, share some empathy for the victim, and not turn it into yet another stupid pointless fan war?

I actually share your point of view about social media. This forum is the only platform where I interact with strangers on the internet, because it is mostly a good community. I don't have an instagram or a twitter, I use Facebook only to organise my multiple gaming groups and as a news feed about some of my interest, like Star Wars. It's impressive how everything must turn into an argument on social media; there is always someone that will take your message, snipe a little line in it, turn it against you, and forget about all the rest, you know, the core of your message. It can gets pretty toxic.

This is likely a Disney LFL stunt to deflect the boycotting and falling of Diseny Wars.   Though she may have been harassed into deleting her stuff, I doubt this is the case because someone would have posted screen shots of the harassment, or she would have contacted LFL about the support she is getting now after she deleted her stuff, and in turn people like Ryan Johnson would have brought that fact up and attack the fans more. 

Also if you actually look at every article claiming that the fans caused the Rose Tico actress to leave, every single one, except for one, claims we caused it with "ZERO EVIDENCE."  Their was only one article that said that we might have harassed her.   All I see is the fandom being thrown under the bus just like gamers and comic book fans where.

3 hours ago, Red Castle said:

giphy.gif

And yet, you have no evidence she was harrassed into deleting her account.

3 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

This is literally one step away from wearing a tinfoil hat.

As I said to the poster above, no one has any evidence that she deleted her postings for the reasons given in articles that have no sources to back up their claims.

2 hours ago, Aaron Foss said:

Please leave this and every other hobby and never come back.

How about no, I am not good at taking orders, let alone ones like this.

6 minutes ago, Black Knight Leader said:

And yet, you have no evidence she was harrassed into deleting her account.

As I said to the poster above, no one has any evidence that she deleted her postings for the reasons given in articles that have no sources to back up their claims.

How about no, I am not good at taking orders, let alone ones like this.

If you take the time to read the post I wrote right before yours, maybe you'll understand why I posted this gif. Specifically this line: 

Why can't we just for once in the last 6 months all agree that something bad happened, that some fans took their hate too far, share some empathy for the victim, and not turn it into yet another stupid pointless fan war?

Believe whatever you want. I just don't want to argue about it. But as far as evidence, I saw some of the insults that was posted on her instagram, and it was ugly.

Edited by Red Castle

4 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

Believe whatever you want. I just don't want to argue about it. But as far as evidence, I saw some of the insults that was posted on her instagram, and it was ugly.

Why would you react to a post that wasn't mine, but tag me, and then expect to know.... forget it.

Well these are serious claims on the fandom, and I demand actual proof I can see, not a bunch of articles telling me we caused this with nothing to show.

7 hours ago, Black Knight Leader said:

This is likely a Disney LFL stunt to deflect the boycotting and falling of Diseny Wars.   Though she may have been harassed into deleting her stuff, I doubt this is the case because someone would have posted screen shots of the harassment, or she would have contacted LFL about the support she is getting now after she deleted her stuff, and in turn people like Ryan Johnson would have brought that fact up and attack the fans more. 

Also if you actually look at every article claiming that the fans caused the Rose Tico actress to leave, every single one, except for one, claims we caused it with "ZERO EVIDENCE."  Their was only one article that said that we might have harassed her.   All I see is the fandom being thrown under the bus just like gamers and comic book fans where.

Nope. No. You are not denying the existence of the ugly underbelly of fandom. This isn't an isolated incident. 

Gamergate. Sad/Toxic Puppies. Leslie Jones. MakeMineMilkshake. Bring Back Legends. And the ton of **** Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Kelly Marie Tran all were given. It is a trend. An obvious trend. And I have seen enough accounts of people who have seen the racist and sexists posts she received before hopefully being deleted. 

We as a fandom have to stop denying the problem, or writing it off as "just a minority". I don't know what can be done to stop it, because it is clear humans will always be hateful beings. But ignoring it is not an option. 

3 hours ago, Sithborg said:

Nope. No. You are not denying the existence of the ugly underbelly of fandom. This isn't an isolated incident. 

Gamergate. Sad/Toxic Puppies. Leslie Jones. MakeMineMilkshake. Bring Back Legends. And the ton of **** Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Kelly Marie Tran all were given. It is a trend. An obvious trend. And I have seen enough accounts of people who have seen the racist and sexists posts she received before hopefully being deleted. 

We as a fandom have to stop denying the problem, or writing it off as "just a minority". I don't know what can be done to stop it, because it is clear humans will always be hateful beings. But ignoring it is not an option. 

Fun thing about gamer gate is watching the anti gamergate people being exposed as the real abusers.

Every time someone's stridently anti gay it turns out they are in the closet themselves

Same thing with male feminists they attack men but time and again it's revealed they have been the ones doing the vile stuff they accuse others of, look as joss whedon who abused his wife and used his position of power to sleep with young actresses, or Russian deadpool who killed the co-host of his show.

Even on this forum we have People who just last week were abusing people are now trying to act like a moral authority.

The real problem is the authoritarian types trying to control the actions of others while not living to those standards themselves.

6 hours ago, Porkchop Express said:

She's a pointless character, that adds nothing to the film. But that's hardly the fault of Tran, nor is it a reason to bully somebody.

Rose adds something, major stupidity, and cringe.  This isn't the actresses fault, it's Mr. Johnson's. 

9 hours ago, Sithborg said:

All the news articles about her removing her posts have no facts to back up their supposed truth.   If this really was the reason she did what she did, plenty of people, especially from LFL would have confirmed this to be the case with verification from her.  Other people have been harassed in the past into quitting, but that doesn't mean everyone that quits, or deletes their stuff is doing it for the same reasons.

It is more likely this is a diversion created by LFL to distract from the failings of Diseny Wars as of late.  Besides other people at LFL, like Chuck Wendig not proclaiming "they were told by her that harassment was why she deleted her posts," we have this tactic used by other companies with similar ideologies.   Gamers caught game reviewers in bed with game developers giving reviews for games that didn't deserve the review they got.  Then all of a sudden gamers are dead, gamer culture is dead, all gamers are sexists, white supremacists, and so on.  Comic fans point out that people unfit for their jobs at Marvel, and now DC, and Image, are running the comics with their political agendas or said people are just bad at their job and where hired because of a political agenda.  After that all comic book fans are now, sexist, white supremacists, racist and so on.  This always happens in a critical moment when those groups or businesses are exposed breaking the rules or making bad products.

Also turns out daisy didn't delete hers because of abuse she said and I quote from the independent:

“I’m 24. I have a lot of growing up to do. I have to deal with loads of stuff myself personally. For that to be projected with millions of people watching, that is like a bit of an extra pressure.”

So yeah isn't that a blow to the narrative.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:59 PM, TasteTheRainbow said:

That’s a bit misleading. You’re looking at a group within a group there. Real numbers on sexual harassment for women are around 75-85%. Men are a fraction of that. But neither of those poll numbers is going to hit at what we’re talking about here. 

Isn't online harassment exactly what we're talking about at the moment, though?

1 hour ago, Hobojebus said:

Also turns out daisy didn't delete hers because of abuse she said and I quote from the independent:

“I’m 24. I have a lot of growing up to do. I have to deal with loads of stuff myself personally. For that to be projected with millions of people watching, that is like a bit of an extra pressure.”

So yeah isn't that a blow to the narrative.

A Disney employee isn’t going to come right out and say that Star Wars fans are he problem, lol.