Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Deathrain

The vocal minority is an issue

Just now, Red Castle said:

The hate disgust me. 

Today is the birthday of Kathleen Kennedy, you should take a look at all the hate she receives on facebook...

I'd rather not, I prefer my view on humanity not totaly jaded. Anyone who participates in this invalidates any weight their opinion may have carried.

12 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

I'd rather not, I prefer my view on humanity not totaly jaded. Anyone who participates in this invalidates any weight their opinion may have carried.

That makes me think, you should watch Ricky Gervais Netflix show Humanity. There’s a part where he talks about social media. Quite a good show.

When I was a kid, I was afraid to openly admit I was a Star Wars fan because I didn't want to be bullied for being a "nerd".

These days, I'm afraid to openly admit I'm a Star Wars fan because I'm afraid people will think I'm one of the people doing the bullying online.

The way the online community of "fans" has been treating people has me feeling ashamed to consider myself part of the same community. Vocal minorities really know how to ruin things.

Edited by Derpzilla88

Jake Lloyd (Ep 1 Anakin) got harassed so bad he quit acting.

Same with Jack Gleeson (GoT Joffrey Baratheon), he quit the business as well.

Hopefully Kelly Tran will understand that "Anime Social Media was a mistake" and just ignore the noise from the slathering morons, and go on to have a successful career in acting.

Rabid fan bases suck. You don't go attacking the actors just for portraying the characters that were written for them, no matter how bad Rose sucked.

16 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

When I was a kid, I was afraid to openly admit I was a Star Wars fan because I didn't want to be bullied for being a "nerd".

These days, I'm afraid to openly admit I'm a Star Wars fan because I'm afraid people will think I'm one of the people doing the bullying online.

The way the online community of "fans" has been treating people has me feeling ashamed to consider myself part of the same community. Vocal minorities really know how to ruin things.

Some of them will never be satisfied. I know some are petitioning to replace Kathleen Kennedy for Dave Filoni. I love Dave Filoni, but never forget that he's the one that brought the saber-copter and Mandalorians blowing a Star Destroyer with their jetpacks... I wonder how it would have been received if it was a part of The Last Jedi... 

13 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

Don't let this guy berate you. If you have not harassed this woman then you bear no shame or guilt for what others have chosen to do. Star Wars fandom is enormous. It is a "community" in the same way that New York City is a community.

I bear no responsibility one way or another for what occurs on Ms. Tran's Instagram account. I do not run nor moderate Instagram and do not have an account on the platform. I am not guilty of any abuse she's allegedly suffered there simply because I am a Star Wars and she was in a Star Wars film. 

Look, I hated Rose, the character, in the film but there is no reason that people should give her abuse over it. Its just a character, and it was a job for her, who wants people complaining to you constantly about that one coffee that you made wasn't as good as another barista while being told how to do it by a different manager that day. I get complaining about TLJ because of not liking it and wanting Star Wars to be better but none of the actors should be targeted for harassment. 

35 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

Some of them will never be satisfied. I know some are petitioning to replace Kathleen Kennedy for Dave Filoni. I love Dave Filoni, but never forget that he's the one that brought the saber-copter and Mandalorians blowing a Star Destroyer with their jetpacks... I wonder how it would have been received if it was a part of The Last Jedi... 

If he gets put in charge how much do you want to bet we star getting wolf stuff in the movies too, be it a character, background group, ship, etc? 

Edited by Animewarsdude

2 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Don't let this guy berate you. If you have not harassed this woman then you bear no shame or guilt for what others have chosen to do. Star Wars fandom is enormous. It is a "community" in the same way that New York City is a community.

I bear no responsibility one way or another for what occurs on Ms. Tran's Instagram account. I do not run nor moderate Instagram and do not have an account on the platform. I am not guilty of any abuse she's allegedly suffered there simply because I am a Star Wars and she was in a Star Wars film. 

If you haven't said horrible things about her as a person (or supported those who did) you have nothing to feel berated about. If you don't feel this doesn't reflect badly on the entire star wars fandom, you are wrong, though. We as a community need to stop having the discussion of the new star wars movie in the same tone politic discussion has degraded to. Disagreement is fine like I said in the OP, as long as it is worded respectfully.

14 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Look, I hated Rose, the character, in the film but there is no reason that people should give her abuse over it. Its just a character, and it was a job for her, who wants people complaining to you constantly about that one coffee that you made wasn't as good as another barista while being told how to do it by a different manager that day. I get complaining about TLJ because of not liking it and wanting Star Wars to be better but none of the actors should be targeted for harassment. 

If he gets put in charge how much do you want to bet we star getting wolf stuff in the movies too, be it a character, background group, ship, etc? 

I love wolves!

clan wolf is best of the clans in battletech

Space wolves are the best space marines

Airwolf was the best 80's show

Werewolves are the best horror creatures

Wolves ftw!

Sometimes this "vocal minority" seems like a majority to me. I just hope anyone who is interested in Star Wars doesn't run away when they see that the "fans" are the kind of people who hate on the actors, yell at anyone who disagrees, don't listen to anyone else's viewpoint, and then don't even watch the movies. How some of these people even claim to be Star Wars "fans" at this point is beyond me. 

None of my friends who are women will play X-Wing or do any of this other nerdy Star Wars stuff with me, and I think I'm starting to see why. 

If this continues, I might seriously have to question my own Star Wars fandom, because I'm sick of being associated with these people.

11 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

If you haven't said horrible things about her as a person (or supported those who did) you have nothing to feel berated about. If you don't feel this doesn't reflect badly on the entire star wars fandom, you are wrong, though. We as a community need to stop having the discussion of the new star wars movie in the same tone politic discussion has degraded to. Disagreement is fine like I said in the OP, as long as it is worded respectfully.

Why does this reflect badly on all of Star Wars fandom? If ALL of Star Wars fandom is not harassing this woman why is all of Star Wars fandom responsible for this woman deleting her Instagram account? 

What this sounds like to me is you telling all the people who thought her character was a bad part of a bad movie to keep their criticisms to themselves. This sounds like a way to shame the critics into silence.

It also sounds to me like this woman is doing a bit of "damseling" here asking the internet white knight to come charging in to rescue her from the big meanies who didn't like her character.

I'm not real sure why I should be put out that this woman has a thin skin. Isn't she a strong independent modern woman? She can't handle some anonymous internet criticism making it the problem of all Star Wars fans that some other Star Wars fans are bad people? ?

5 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Sometimes this "vocal minority" seems like a majority to me. I just hope anyone who is interested in Star Wars doesn't run away when they see that the "fans" are the kind of people who hate on the actors, yell at anyone who disagrees, don't listen to anyone else's viewpoint, and then don't even watch the movies. How some of these people even claim to be Star Wars "fans" at this point is beyond me. 

None of my friends who are women will play X-Wing or do any of this other nerdy Star Wars stuff with me, and I think I'm starting to see why. 

If this continues, I might seriously have to question my own Star Wars fandom, because I'm sick of being associated with these people.

Thats a no true scotsman fallacy.

Just because people dont like movies you do does not make them not real fans, it just means they have different standards.

If we apply your standards there are people on these forums that would say that anyone that likes a movie after jedi isn't a real fan.

Didn't the last jedi devide us enough?

15 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Why does this reflect badly on all of Star Wars fandom? If ALL of Star Wars fandom is not harassing this woman why is all of Star Wars fandom responsible for this woman deleting her Instagram account? 

What this sounds like to me is you telling all the people who thought her character was a bad part of a bad movie to keep their criticisms to themselves. This sounds like a way to shame the critics into silence.

I said nothing even implying that. I'm saying that there is a vocal minority that performs actions which reflect badly on the star wars fandom. When casual fans read about this they don't make a differentiation between that minority and you and me. It is important to say 'we are star wars fans, we don't agree on anything, but this is something we universaly don't stand for', so the distinction becomes clear.

17 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

Just because people dont like movies you do does not make them not real fans, it just means they have different standards.

If we apply your standards there are people on these forums that would say that anyone that likes a movie after jedi isn't a real fan.

@Kieransi he's not wrong, you know? As long as I don't get attacked for liking the new movies, I have no issue whatsoever with others disliking it. Being a fan doesn't mean accepting anything that happens under the banner of a franchise. Now of course it does come across a bit hypocritical to load that statement with 'they just have different standards', implying that theirs are somehow superior (the word you were looking for here is 'preferences'), but eh, the core message is what counts.

23 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

Hey, I didn't actually say that, did I? I said that I wasn't sure how some of these people, i.e. the incels bullying actresses on Instagram, can claim to be Star Wars fans. 

I'm perfectly ok with anyone who actually watched a movie and can tell me calmly why they didn't like it. 

I just don't like being associated with people who hate on things they haven't watched and personally attack anyone who was a part of the movie or who liked the movie. 

Also, none of the things I'm saying here are personally directed at you, just so you know. At least you're here, reading other people's posts. That's good enough for me. I wish the rest of the internet could have debates where people listen to each other as much as on the X-Wing forum. 

26 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I'm not real sure why I should be put out that this woman has a thin skin. Isn't she a strong independent modern woman? She can't handle some anonymous internet criticism making it the problem of all Star Wars fans that some other Star Wars fans are bad people? ?

If she decided to erase her account 6 months after the release of the movie, I don’t think it was just ‘some’ anonymous internet criticism. But even if it was only ‘some’, bullying should never be tolerated.

7 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

I said nothing even implying that. I'm saying that there is a vocal minority that performs actions which reflect badly on the star wars fandom. When casual fans read about this they don't make a differentiation between that minority and you and me. It is important to say 'we are star wars fans, we don't agree on anything, but this is something we universaly don't stand for', so the distinction becomes clear.

Yes, you did. Right here: 

1 hour ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

If you don't feel this doesn't reflect badly on the entire star wars fandom, you are wrong, though. We as a community need to stop having the discussion of the new star wars movie in the same tone politic discussion has degraded to. Disagreement is fine like I said in the OP, as long as it is worded respectfully.

I'm wrong for thinking I shouldn't be tarred with the same brush as those who've harassed Ms. Tarn. We can only criticize TLJ "respectfully." And you are no doubt the arbiter of what is and isn't respectful? 

Edited by Frimmel

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

Have you seen people say abusive things and not responded? Then you share a little. Pretty much everyone does. A very little.

53 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

Harassing and threatening female actors is the issue. And that behavior is not just tolerated, but encouraged, in a lot of places on the Internet where Star Wars fans congregate. 

Female actors can have supposedly bad writing or bad acting in other fandoms that are just as large without waking up to thousands of harassing comments  and threats daily. The Star Wars fandom has a sickness. And you can’t fix those by denying them.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

54 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Why does this reflect badly on all of Star Wars fandom?

It looks bad for the whole fandom because they are an extremely vocal group and non-fans will perceive the entire fandom based on it. To counter that the rest of the fan base needs to take the bullies to task or be complicit in the reputation the fan base as a whole gets as bullies, which is what he said. 

12 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Harassing and threatening female actors is the issue. And that behavior is not just tolerated, but encouraged, in a lot of places on the Internet where Star Wars fans congregate. 

Exactly. And if you click a like or upvote a post that is harassment, you’re part of the problem.