ovinomanc3r

How to...Triple Cymoon! (Chapters 1, 2 and 3)

1 minute ago, Admiral Calkins said:

You may have covered this before, but why are you not taking Gunnery Teams on all your Cymoons? Or a fleet command like IF for dice modification?

I was trying to build a fleet of identical ships for simplicity. Gunnery Teams and IF doesn't allow for that symmetry, even going with the lower cost Motti. Not saying it's a bad idea; but I was going for fleet simplicity where every ship was identical to lessen deployment and navigation complexities.

Name: 3Cy Motti IF GT
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault: Blockade Run
Defense: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation: Solar Corona

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Admiral Motti (24)
• Intensify Firepower! (6)
• Gunnery Team (7)
= 149 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 125 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 125 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 399

38 minutes ago, ShoutingMan said:

I was trying to build a fleet of identical ships for simplicity. Gunnery Teams and IF doesn't allow for that symmetry, even going with the lower cost Motti. Not saying it's a bad idea; but I was going for fleet simplicity where every ship was identical to lessen deployment and navigation complexities.

Name: 3Cy Motti IF GT

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Admiral Motti (24)
• Gunnery Team (7)
= 149 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 125 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 125 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

K. If you want symmetry and simplicity, just drop IF for another XI7.  Makes all the ships relatively the same (because you need your commander on one).  Seriously lowers your ability to modify dice, but meets your intent.

Given that the topic is now on it's 9th page, I feel like it's worth to repeat my answer to the original question.

Don't.

It may sound fun, but any triple ISD fleet is not competitive (player skill advantage notwithstanding) and any double ISD fleet is more fun while being more  competitive.

I tried another symmetric Tri-Cy fleet. It went...poorly... :)

Name: 3Cy Motti IF DTT HTT

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Admiral Motti (24)
• Dual Turbolaser Turrets (5)
• Heavy Turbolaser Turrets (6)
= 153 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
= 123 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
= 123 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Combat Report here:

Edited by ShoutingMan

On 2/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, PT106 said:

Given that the topic is now on it's 9th page, I feel like it's worth to repeat my answer to the original question.

Don't.

It may sound fun, but any triple ISD fleet is not competitive (player skill advantage notwithstanding) and any double ISD fleet is more fun while being more  competitive.

I’ll have to disagree.  I placed in the top 25% in both the regionals I played in with my triple moons (25+ players in each).  The only failures I had were in my play, not my matchups (I’m the queen of choke.  The guy I lost to round three I was tied with on TP, but he took first from his 8-3 win from my bungling activation order).

2 hours ago, Admiral Theia said:

I’ll have to disagree.  I placed in the top 25% in both the regionals I played in with my triple moons (25+ players in each).  The only failures I had were in my play, not my matchups (I’m the queen of choke.  The guy I lost to round three I was tied with on TP, but he took first from his 8-3 win from my bungling activation order).

Concur that it can be competitive.  I won two SCs with a JJ Triple Cymoon list before switching it up and doing something different.

Has anyone seen a Triple Cymoon list (any commander) against an Imperial Two-Ship list (since that is really popular in the meta right now)?  If so, how did it fare?  

20 hours ago, Admiral Theia said:

I’ll have to disagree.  I placed in the top 25% in both the regionals I played in with my triple moons (25+ players in each).

I guess it's about a definition of 'competitiveness' then. I have no doubt that it is competitive on a store championship level (as player skill is usually a main qualifier), however on a higher level of competition the fleet has several significant drawbacks and therefore (IMO) is strictly worse than a 2ISD fleet (I.e. for any matchup good 2ISD fleet would produce same or better result compared to a good 3ISD fleet).