ovinomanc3r

How to...Triple Cymoon! (Chapters 1, 2 and 3)

19 hours ago, Doppelganger said:

How did itr go @Mad Cat?

Well it was sort of.... yup not great. I got 26th overall with this fleet. Compared to 7th last year I was disappointed to loose out on a top 16 prize.

399/400, Blockade Run, Contested Outpost, Solar Corona
ISD Cymoon, Vader, Gunnery Team, Strategic Adviser. 159
ISD Cymoon, Gunnery Team, SFO. 120
ISD Cymoon, Gunnery Team, SFO. 120

So here's a brief battle report.

Game 1 v Vader.
ISD Kuat, BT, Avenger, EWS, Sadviser, Vader.   
Gozanti, Comms Net
Gozanti
GSD, Demolisher, ET, ACMs, OE, Brunsen
Fel, Cienna, Howlrunner, Valen

I was second player in Solar Corona. He had Demolisher in a corner and Avenger near the centre with a flotilla either side of it. I deployed up sun to rush Avenger with a right hook with the outer flagship ISD at speed 3 and the others at 2. I killed a Gozanti turn 2 as it was at speed 3 then Avenger went nose to nose with my leftmost Cymoon but I got a shot with 5 red in before the turn break. Demolisher was engine teching in fast but still a bit far out. Turn3 Avenger shoots but he forgets to spend his squadron token. I noticed and thought about being sporting so I asked him twice if he wanted to do anything before rolling the dice. I could have spelled it out for him but it was the Nationals after all. So 9 damage was braced and all 3 Cymoons killed Avenger with some double arcs and a little ramming. We circle as my damaged ship is hit by the passing demolisher but then escapes to kill the other flotilla late in the game. Demolisher gets shot once form a long range front arc then gets double arced from flank/rear by my flagship and dies giving a 10/1 400-0. If he had used his BT card the victim Cymoon would have ended the game on 5 hull rather than 9.

Game 2 v Raddus piloted by @noggin
MC75 Ord, Profundity, OE, Lando, EWS, APT, E-Rax
Hammerhead-T, OE, E-Rax
GR75-T, Quantum Storm
GR75-T, Bright Hope
CR90B, Raddus
Jan, VCX, 5xYT2400

Second player again in Solar Corona. He deployed CR90 in the left corner, a flotilla in the centre with all fighters and the other flotilla in the other far corner. He could bring in two ships from any of these so didn't really care about where the sun was. I deployed facing the flagship to scare it away and I decided to try and kill time and try to loose no ships and go for a 6-5 default win. It could have worked but my opponent used skill and careful planning. 

My opponent realised what I was doing maybe turn 3 I think. I successfully kept unengaged until turn 4 taking a little fighter damage but repairing most of it then I had to get our of a corner. Maybe I should have kept away another turn and sat in the corner but I went for my escape keeping each ISDs route clear so it could attempt to outrun the MC75 when it appeared.  He dropped on the left side of my flagship and put the Hammerhead in front which shot first with E-Rax and rolled poor but those OE got him 7 damage and an accuracy on the brace. The HH then ran but was a little fast and faced the table edge. I wasn't sure if it would run off map next turn but there was nothing else in the front arc so we blasted it to dust with 7 and later 5 dice. (it would have run off map, even with a nav, we checked before removing it). I also shot the MC75 with a flank shot and a long range obscured front shot. It then positioned itself double arcing Vader's ship and again the fighters swarmed in. I lost Vader, killed one of the flotillas with 2 hull damage and a final overlap. The MC75 on about half hull then ran for open space. A 4-7 loss.

Game 3 v Vader
Cymon, Intel officer, Spinal, XI7
Cymon, Intel officer, Spinal, XI7
Gozanti Comms Net
Gozanti Comms Net
Raider-I, Vader

I was first player in Contested Outpost.  I corner deploy facing the base but he abandons it deploying centre with one ISD slow and the other flanking faster along my right hand side. His Vader lifeboat was miles away and didn't come into the fight. I wheel over the base and face the enemy. He banks a lot of tokens with comms nets. His activation advantage allowed him to get the first shots and the XI7s really hurt when he ganged up on the middle of my Cymoonsat the turn break it was on 2 hull but medium range of both enemy ISDs with a good GT shot. T2 it shreds both enemies and piles on the speed into flank arcs. It then died to flank shots and the flotilla. I kill the other flotilla by ramming with my flagship on my left near the base and also shoot his ships with long range GTs. I loose a second ISD but his are both in tatters and I kill them with the flagship's GTs - now at medium range. His Vader turns away and we end up with 3 tokens and a 7-4 win as my Cymoons were cheaper.

Game 4 v Vader
Cymoon, Vader, GTs, Brunson, H9, XI7, 7th fleet, Shields to maximum
Cymoon, Sadviser, H9, XI7, GT, Intensify fire, 7th fleet
Gozanti Comms Net
Gozanti Comms Net

First player in Station Assault. A base in each corner. He deployed slow in between them, I deployed centre right at high speed. I have tried facing GT Vader Cymoons before armed with XI7s and it doesn't go well. They concentrate on one ship with their XI7s and accuracy your brace and you almost loose a Cymoon a turn (maybe two with GTs) and cant kill one back as he can redirect and maybe brace once. He would also get a shot or two before me with his extra activation. I decided to go for the bases. My left Cymoon approached and turned left, double arcing his flagship ready to fire and then run for the unattended base and kill it. The other two would GT his other ISD and the base on my right then run past the enemy into their rear areas.

Didn't work. My left ISD was killed before it could activate first on turn 2. OK then - go for a 5-6 loss. So I kill the other base and get around the back also slaying a flotilla.  But my flagship is hit by one front shot and a lot of flank/rear shots with great quality from Vader rerolls, XI7s H9s and IF. It dies only just at the end but we kill the other flotilla. 2-9 loss and I drop from table 8 to 11.

Game 5 v Dodonna (I noted the other lists down but this one is from memory)
MC80S, XI7s, Mon Karen, Ciatken, Raymus, Nav Team
MC80A, XI7s, LS, Defiance, ECM, EWS, Sadviser. 
GR75T Comms Net Bright Hope
GR75T Comms Net
CR90A, TRC, Jiana's Light, Dodonna

Second Player doing Blockade RunHis large ships on my left. Me in the centre facing flotillas, Jiana's Light on the far right. To get to top 16 I need a good win so have to charge the large ships but with his activation advantages and Last/First he kills the left Cymoon and gets the damaged Star Cruiser away to my rear. Defiance gets traffic jammed and I kill it but Vader's Cymoon is in tatters. TRC90 eventually kills Vader and I almost kill it and do smack Bright Hope. I score one touchdown for a 4-7.

Thoughts.
Being out activated is ok against balanced fleets with one large and a medium and some small ships and fighters. That doesn't have the clout to kill your Cymoons before you can get good shooting out of all three to even the odds and maybe redress the activations early.

When you face 2 large and several small/flotillas the activations really hurt. A pair of XI7 large ships will kill a Cymoon quickly if they can concentrate on the same hull zone and with no ECM if the braces fail you can die without firing back occasionally. I was quite surprised that the top 10 tables contained such a concentration of double ISD with flotilla support type lists. You can beat this type of list as I did in game 3 but it is tricky and in that game he did split his ships a little too widely.

I played triple Cymmon at two store championships, winning one and coming second in another. Once you take it to the big leagues however I'm not that confident against today's chosen top lists. It's fun to play but I think it lacks flexibility and there are lists out there that can out joust it.  

Edited by Mad Cat
oops, Copied in my Konstantine fleet b mistake. Corrected now with the Vader fleet

I really love this idea and the write-ups have been great to read, so I decided to try this concept for Rebels. I started with this list.

Name: Madine LSC+2xMC75OC
Faction: Rebel
Commander: General Madine

Assault: Opening Salvo
Defense: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation: Solar Corona

MC80 Star Cruiser (96)
• General Madine (30)
• Intel Officer (7)
• Caitken and Shollan (6)
• Engine Techs (8)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
• Spinal Armament (9)
= 161 Points

MC75 Ordnance Cruiser (100)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
• Assault Concussion Missiles (7)
= 118 Points

• Bail Organa (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
= 121 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 400

I originally used Madine because he's been my go-to commander. I love the extra maneuverability, but quickly realized that they could be even more potent with Rieekan. With Rieekan there's less dependence on deployment and activation advantage. After some testing, I decided to drop some points from the MC80 and put them into Phylons to mess with my opponent's speed and maneuverability. So this is the list that I'm currently running.

Name: Rieekan LSC+2xMC75OC Q7
Faction: Rebel
Commander: General Rieekan

Assault: Opening Salvo

MC80 Star Cruiser (96)
• General Rieekan (30)
• Engine Techs (8)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
• Spinal Armament (9)
= 148 Points

• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams (6)
• External Racks (3)
= 124 Points

• Bail Organa (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams (6)
• External Racks (3)
= 127 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 399

My opponent this weekend was playing dual ISDs, Demolisher, and a Gozanti. I was able to make short work of one of his ISDs, with help from Bail. With Opening Salvo, ExRacks, and a CF dial, I was throwing 8 blacks and 2 blues for 1 acc and 12 damage+ACM. Then I slowed his other ISD and Demolisher so that his Demolisher was tripping over the ISD and didn't fire a single shot the whole game. He killed my first MC75, so I just flew it in front of his ISD and left it there to block him in for a round while my other 2 ships came around into firing range. This fleet may not be the most versatile, but it sure is a lot of fun and easy to fly.

In light of revealed ssd cards, here is a new take on the trimoons list. I thought to use vader officer and expendable officers and commander to allow every ship to be able to Vader once, without actually needing Vader commander! What does that do? leave more room for upgrades! 

Neo-Vader Tri Moons (400/400)
========================
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 36)
    + Admiral Piett (22)
    + Darth Vader (1)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + XI7 Turbolasers (6)
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 14)
    + Skilled First Officer (1)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + XI7 Turbolasers (6)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + XI7 Turbolasers (6)

So I decided to squeeze in XI7 for the trimoons , although that excluded IF command. IF can be squeezed in if the turbolasers are swapped to qbt/dtt. Have not playtested yet, but what do y'all think? :)

Edited by Muelmuel

5 hours ago, Muelmuel said:

In light of revealed ssd cards, here is a new take on the trimoons list. I thought to use vader officer and expendable officers and commander to allow every ship to be able to Vader once, without actually needing Vader commander! What does that do? leave more room for upgrades! 

Neo-Vader Tri Moons (400/400)
========================
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 36)
    + Admiral Piett (22)
    + Darth Vader (1)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + XI7 Turbolasers (6)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + XI7 Turbolasers (6)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + XI7 Turbolasers (6)

So I decided to squeeze in XI7 for the trimoons , although that excluded IF command. IF can be squeezed in if the turbolasers are swapped to qbt/dtt. Have not playtested yet, but what do y'all think? :)

Not sure. I think Vader officer open this build to different combinations of ISDs but I would give it a shot as xi7 improve the fire quality and three Cymoons don't need to munch beyond a couple of rounds to wipe out whatever they face. Ozzel would be a really good commander there as speed control is a strong tool to deal with activation disadvantage.

56 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Not sure. I think Vader officer open this build to different combinations of ISDs but I would give it a shot as xi7 improve the fire quality and three Cymoons don't need to munch beyond a couple of rounds to wipe out whatever they face. Ozzel would be a really good commander there as speed control is a strong tool to deal with activation disadvantage.

On a similar note, Pryce might combo well with Vader.

First, thanks ovinomanc3r for originally posting this.  As a new player, I really loved the simplicity of this fleet design - though as I've played it, I do think you have to know how to navigate really well to pull it off - I've done well, awful, and great in playing this fleet and think it's come down to navigation in every match.  In any case, here is my take on triple Cymoons - I went with Ozzel as he helps with points and his ability to really speed up and down has helped me get into position and then stay there:

TrypCy (400/400)

Empire  - Author: Aahz

Commander: Admiral Ozzel

Objectives: Blockade Run, Contested Outpost, Solar Corona

[flagship] Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112)

- Admiral Ozzel (20)

- Intensify Firepower! (6)

- Commandant Aresko (7)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 152 total points

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112)

- Support Officer (4)

- XI7 Turbolasers (6)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 129 total points

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 119 total points

I'd change Aresco into Wulff to let you bank a CF token on turn one - then do whatever command you like for the rest of the game.

With your Navigation theme have you thought of Jerjerrod instead. Change the Support Officer into a SFO to get the points. Changing from speed 1 to 3 with ISDs is a nice occasional gimmick but a Speed 3 ISD with 4-5 points of yaw can run rings around people. :)

1 hour ago, Mad Cat said:

I'd change Aresco into Wulff to let you bank a CF token on turn one - then do whatever command you like for the rest of the game.

With your Navigation theme have you thought of Jerjerrod instead. Change the Support Officer into a SFO to get the points. Changing from speed 1 to 3 with ISDs is a nice occasional gimmick but a Speed 3 ISD with 4-5 points of yaw can run rings around people. :)

Ooh.  Nice idea on Wulff - hadn't thought of that. 

Never have played with Jerjerrod - will have to give him a try.  The minus will be needing a navigation token and dial to slow down enough for the engaging ships.  The plus will be easier time for the flanking Cymoon.  Will give that some thought.

1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Also, you don't want a single XI7 because they'll redirect the attacks of the other Cymoons anyway.  You could ditch it and Support Officer to add QBTs to two destroyers, perhaps?

Yeah, wasn't totally happy with one XI7. Problem with QBTs is the speed issue - find I'm usually facing cautious Rebels at slower speed (unless they're running away).  Maybe I remove SO and XI7 for one QTC - if I get an accuracy, I get a second one.  Or perhaps one SFO and Spinal Armament.

10 minutes ago, Aahz 1 said:

Yeah, wasn't totally happy with one XI7. Problem with QBTs is the speed issue - find I'm usually facing cautious Rebels at slower speed (unless they're running away).  Maybe I remove SO and XI7 for one QTC - if I get an accuracy, I get a second one.  Or perhaps one SFO and Spinal Armament.

Trust me, there are very few circumstances where a Rebel fleet slow rolls 3 Cymoons without having a very bad day.

Thinking about flying this fleet this weekend. Not sure about JJ vs Screed. Probably need to fly a few iterations to see how they behave. 

"3Cy JJ QBT XI7 - Armada Fleet Builder" (https://armada.ryankingston.com/fleet/37892/)
Name: 3Cy JJ QBT XI7
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault: Blockade Run

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Moff Jerjerrod (23)
• Skilled First Officer (1)
• Quad Battery Turrets (5)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 147 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 124 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 124 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 395

On 1/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, Aahz 1 said:

Never have played with Jerjerrod - will have to give him a try.  The minus will be needing a navigation token and dial to slow down enough for the engaging ships.  The plus will be easier time for the flanking Cymoon.  Will give that some thought.

I use JJ with Entrapment Formation on one ship and Intensify on another.  Never really need to nav on any ship.  Can focus on engineering and con fire.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:10 AM, Aahz 1 said:

If you like having the ability to jump opponents and can't squeeze in the points for XI7s, you might like to consider DTTs. Will almost always contribute for what they're worth and has a place with IF in non-vader fleets :)

Else putting QBTs could also be used as a ruse to make your opponent think you would only slow-roll, and will still work when you drop down speed when 'staying there' with the enemy

Edited by Muelmuel

On 1/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, Bertie Wooster said:

I wouldn't use Screed with triple Cymoons. Vader works though. 

I've never flown Vader. I need to try that. But he's 10 points more than Screed (and 13 more than JJ), so would have to drop the QBT's or some other useful card. I was thinking that QBT gives Screed the spare die to sacrifice to get a critical. It's not a lot, but it's up to six guaranteed hits per attacking round.

But, I should try Vader to see how he plays. :)

3 hours ago, ShoutingMan said:

I've never flown Vader. I need to try that. But he's 10 points more than Screed (and 13 more than JJ), so would have to drop the QBT's or some other useful card. I was thinking that QBT gives Screed the spare die to sacrifice to get a critical. It's not a lot, but it's up to six guaranteed hits per attacking round.

One of the main reasons I don’t like Vader for this list is that he weakens one of the primary strength of this list.

I’ve played about 18 tournament games (four store championships and two regionals) and about as many practice games with this list, against some strong players.  I average losing about one Cymoon per match (maybe more like 0.9 on average).  If I end up spending my tokens on Vader rerolls, that ratio goes down.  I think of triple moons as a list that is designed to “go big or go home”, to crush your opponent while losing a minimal, to no, points yourself.  It’s a list designed to get 9+ points or 3- points, with rarely a score in between.  Vader would likely bring it more to the middle, to weaken the tank-eyness of the ISD’s, resulting in smaller wins and bigger losses.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:10 AM, ShoutingMan said:

Screed is once per activation, so that would be 3 screed crits per attacking round, 1 per ship

Edited by Muelmuel

On 1/19/2019 at 7:54 PM, Admiral Theia said:

One of the main reasons I don’t like Vader for this list is that he weakens one of the primary strength of this list.

I’ve played about 18 tournament games (four store championships and two regionals) and about as many practice games with this list, against some strong players.  I average losing about one Cymoon per match (maybe more like 0.9 on average).  If I end up spending my tokens on Vader rerolls, that ratio goes down.  I think of triple moons as a list that is designed to “go big or go home”, to crush your opponent while losing a minimal, to no, points yourself.  It’s a list designed to get 9+ points or 3- points, with rarely a score in between.  Vader would likely bring it more to the middle, to weaken the tank-eyness of the ISD’s, resulting in smaller wins and bigger losses.

That's a fair point, I did tend to lose Cymoons when playing Vader. 

I still don't think Screed would be great though. I would only use him along with certain upgrades like ACM, APT, HIE, Fletchette Torpedoes, etc. which wouldn't go on Cymoons.

8 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

That's a fair point, I did tend to lose Cymoons when playing Vader. 

I still don't think Screed would be great though. I would only use him along with certain upgrades like ACM, APT, HIE, Fletchette Torpedoes, etc. which wouldn't go on Cymoons.

Oh yeah, I wasn’t advocating for screed, just against Vader

On 1/19/2019 at 1:10 PM, ShoutingMan said:

Also, one thing about Screed is that I think taking him in this list (or any red die dépendant list) is based more on fear or misapprehension regarding the effectiveness of those dice.    Red dice are fine, particularly when you’re throwing a ton of them (quantity is a quality all its own).  IF is plenty to mitigate their variability, especially when paired with a con fire command and/or token.  Humans have a negative association bias.  We remember the bad occurrences far more than the good, and so red dice get a bad rap, because everyone remembers that one time they rolled five blanks and re-rolled to four blanks, but they don’t often cite the time they rolled two doubles and re-rolled to two more and an accuracy.  And so people lament ‘my dice suck” and “Red dice always fail me”.  

I used to see this in action at the poker table all the time, with people complaining about losing with pocket aces “all the time”.  No, their hand was good more than 60% of the time, they just remember the bad beats, the time someone sucked out and drew a third king on an A-K pocket.

Not to say that this is what ou are doing, just that I’ve noticed a tendency to overemphasize dice control on red dice.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:54 AM, Admiral Theia said:

My experience with Vader is all the way around. Go further to get 10 or 1 points, lol. Maybe there is some play-style involved.

Edited by ovinomanc3r

On 1/21/2019 at 10:00 PM, Admiral Theia said:

Also, one thing about Screed is that I think taking him in this list (or any red die dépendant list) is based more on fear or misapprehension regarding the effectiveness of those dice.    Red dice are fine, particularly when you’re throwing a ton of them (quantity is a quality all its own).  IF is plenty to mitigate their variability, especially when paired with a con fire command and/or token.  Humans have a negative association bias.  We remember the bad occurrences far more than the good, and so red dice get a bad rap, because everyone remembers that one time they rolled five blanks and re-rolled to four blanks, but they don’t often cite the time they rolled two doubles and re-rolled to two more and an accuracy.  And so people lament ‘my dice suck” and “Red dice always fail me”.  

I used to see this in action at the poker table all the time, with people complaining about losing with pocket aces “all the time”.  No, their hand was good more than 60% of the time, they just remember the bad beats, the time someone sucked out and drew a third king on an A-K pocket.

Not to say that this is what ou are doing, just that I’ve noticed a tendency to overemphasize dice control on red dice.

I've been playing Settlers of Catan for 20 years, and Eurogames for about as long. I'm new to Miniatures and this form of competitive gaming. But I assure you, the dice hate me. :D

That's a good point. I was trying to think in terms of "dice control" to help mitigate the weaknesses of Red dice, while also fitting a useful Commander into the constraints of a Tri-Cy fleet. I might then try the JJ fleet first then, because Nav is a struggle for me, and JJ helps mitigate my stupid flying mistakes. :)

I played the following Tri-Cy fleet last week. Quick thoughts:

• Lack of dice control was a major detriment. Dual Arc on another ISD: My front arc is rolling five red and three blue (QBT). I rolled four damage and four accuracies and a blank. That roll was half of what cost me the game. 
  • I never used Moff JJ.
  • Design conflict in this fleet: QBT is at odds with Moff JJ: QBT wants Speed 1. JJ wants speed 2+. 
  • Had I flown Motti I might have won the game with a few extra hull.
  • I took first against a five activation fleet (four ships and SA). That might have been an error, as it gave them objective advantage. Try-Cy might need second place to have the objective. Uncertain.
  • I deployed poorly which also contributed to my loss.

I need to iterate this fleet and try another variation. :)

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Moff Jerjerrod (23)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 147 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 124 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 124 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

10 minutes ago, ShoutingMan said:

I played the following Tri-Cy fleet last week. Quick thoughts:

• Lack of dice control was a major detriment. Dual Arc on another ISD: My front arc is rolling five red and three blue (QBT). I rolled four damage and four accuracies and a blank. That roll was half of what cost me the game. 
  • I never used Moff JJ.
  • Design conflict in this fleet: QBT is at odds with Moff JJ: QBT wants Speed 1. JJ wants speed 2+. 
  • Had I flown Motti I might have won the game with a few extra hull.
  • I took first against a five activation fleet (four ships and SA). That might have been an error, as it gave them objective advantage. Try-Cy might need second place to have the objective. Uncertain.
  • I deployed poorly which also contributed to my loss.

I need to iterate this fleet and try another variation. :)

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• Moff Jerjerrod (23)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 147 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 124 Points

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit (112)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
= 124 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

You may have covered this before, but why are you not taking Gunnery Teams on all your Cymoons? Or a fleet command like IF for dice modification?