ovinomanc3r

How to...Triple Cymoon! (Chapters 1, 2 and 3)

2 minutes ago, PT106 said:

This. Essentially while 3ISD fleet is fun to play, for competitve setting 2ISD fleet is (in my opinion) strictly better as it has the same set of advantages while having less vulnerabilities.

Not completely sold on the same set of advantages. But I agree 2 are probably easier to make competitive.

22 minutes ago, PT106 said:

This. Essentially while 3ISD fleet is fun to play, for competitve setting 2ISD fleet is (in my opinion) strictly better as it has the same set of advantages while having less vulnerabilities.

Exactly- You can easily hit 5 activations with some squads or 6 activations with no squads, both with decent amount of upgrades. This will help protect you against skew fleets and "counters" that you may encounter in the tournament setting

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Not completely sold on the same set of advantages. But I agree 2 are probably easier to make competitive.

Some time ago I did a mental exercise of replacing a third ISD in 3ISD fleet with something else and found that for more or less any configuration the replacement can be made and the only thing that is being lost is some HP while extra points can be spent on more activations/ISD upgrades. For example in a triple Cymoon/Vader build that wants to have all 3 arcs I would replace third ISD with VSD1 with Spinals and Comms Net Gozanti

Edited by PT106

18 hours ago, PT106 said:

Some time ago I did a mental exercise of replacing a third ISD in 3ISD fleet with something else and found that for more or less any configuration the replacement can be made and the only thing that is being lost is some HP while extra points can be spent on more activations/ISD upgrades. For example in a triple Cymoon/Vader build that wants to have all 3 arcs I would replace third ISD with VSD1 with Spinals and Comms Net Gozanti

I agree it is just I don't think I would play 2  ISD the same way I do 3. With 2 I feel I could lost both. With 3 I know I will keep 1/3 of my list alive as the worst. But I am also toying with the idea of "downgrading" one ISD. I started triple ISD cause I wanted to build a double ISD fleet. The idea was basically to remark strengths and weaknesses to more precisely address them. I mean, lack of activations is the easiest thing to fix (remove big ships, add little ones) and learn to fly outactivated would help me much more than anything. It just happened that I felt in love with those long range bastards. 

Edited by ovinomanc3r

On 7/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, ovinomanc3r said:

I agree it is just I don't think I would play 2  ISD the same way I do 3. With 2 I feel I could lost both. With 3 I know I will keep 1/3 of my list alive as the worst. But I am also toying with the idea of "downgrading" one ISD. I started triple ISD cause I wanted to build a double ISD fleet. The idea was basically to remark strengths and weaknesses to more precisely address them. I mean, lack of activations is the easiest thing to fix (remove big ships, add little ones) and learn to fly outactivated would help me much more than anything. It just happened that I felt in love with those long range bastards. 

Ditto.  Plus, I'm not finding any real drawbacks with my list other than deployment (JJ, the EF, and the IF basically shore up all the weaknesses, though not fully).

Being the die-hard rebel player I am, this is making me want to run three MC-75's with GT's and Ackbar.

Finally got a chance to run a Triple Cymoon list against an opponent prior to using it in a Store Championship.

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit - Moff Jerjerrod, Gunnery Team (142)

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit - Strategic Advisor, Gunnery Team, Dual Turbolaser Turrets (128)

ISD Cymoon 1 Refit - Intensify Firepower, Gunnery Team, Dual Turbolaser Turret (130)

Total - 400

Station Assault, Contested Outpost, Solar Corona

My opponent had an ISD-I, Suppression Interdictor, and Sloane Aces.  He won the bid and chose to go second, and out of Advanced Gunnery, Capture the VIP, and Solar Corona, I chose Capture the VIP.  I deployed my first Cymoon across from the objective token, and he did the same with his ISD.  I then deployed the rest of my fleet next to it, forcing him to face two or three front arcs in order to get the token.  He deployed his Interdictor about a range ruler and a half away from his ISD.  His goal was to grab the token, survive against my ships, and then race across the board to get the objective points while slowing my fleet with G-8s and tractor beams.

While he grabbed the objective token on Round 2, using SaD to force him into three front arcs (two of the Cymoons had double arcs), the ISD went from full hull and shields to destroyed by the round.  Because he had a Nav dial with his ISD to maneuver through obstacles to try and get away, he never even had an opportunity to activate his squadrons to strip my tokens.  We called the game there as his Interdictor was headed straight towards two of my Cymoons which would have led to a tabling, and only half his squadrons were probably going to get a shot on my ships (they were also caught in a flak crossfire as well).

It has all been said before, but this list is really good for objectives where you know your opponent has to go to get points (Station Assault, Contested Outpost, Capture the VIP, etc.).  I basically is a dare to your opponent to see if they want to try get points off the objective (putting themselves in harm's way) or find another way to win.  I know that I won't face too many lists with this low of activations, but this game certainly showed how much firepower could be unleashed on an opponent in one round.  IF and DTTs certainly helped with dice modification.  All in all, pretty happy with this list and looking forward to finally playing it in a SC on Saturday.  Thanks @ovinomanc3r for starting this thread and everyone for their contributions to it!

My take on Triple Cymoon 
Author: Clontroper5

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault Objective: Blockade Run
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Minefields

[ flagship ] Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112 points)
-  Moff Jerjerrod  ( 23  points) 
-  Hondo Ohnaka  ( 2  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
= 144 total ship cost

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112 points)
-  Veteran Captain  ( 3  points) 
-  Intensify Firepower!  ( 6  points) 
= 128 total ship cost

Imperial Star Destroyer Cymoon 1 Refit (112 points)
-  Veteran Captain  ( 3  points) 
-  Shields to Maximum!  ( 6  points) 
= 128 total ship cost

= 0 total squadron cost

Card view link

Fleet created with Armada Warlords

14 hours ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Not sure if it's much of a barometer, but JJ Triple Cymoons have at least one Store Championship win so far ?

I got second in a store champ with my JJ list (with two more in the next two weeks) to come, but only lost to @shmitty by one TP (even though I won our last game).

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:36 AM, Admiral Calkins said:

Not sure if it's much of a barometer, but JJ Triple Cymoons have at least one Store Championship win so far ?

My Vader Cymoon won Sheffield Store Champs today. 9 Players.

399/400, Blockade Run, Contested Outpost, Solar Corona
ISD Cymoon, Vader, Gunnery Team, Strategic Adviser. 159
ISD Cymoon, Gunnery Team, SFO. 120
ISD Cymoon, Gunnery Team, SFO. 120

Game 1 v Ackbar

MC80A, ECM, S-Adviser, LS, XI7, Ackbar, Defiance
MC75, ACM, Rapid Reload, Ciatken, Chart Officer
CR90A, TRC, Jiana's Light
Jan, 2 X-Wings

I was second player doing Blockade Run. I put obstacles along the sides of the lengthways table and deployed speed 3 a little back from the start line while the enemy were: CR90 dead center, MC75 to the left (from my point of view) and MC80 further left. All speed 2. We approached on turn 1 and I turned 1 yaw to my right. Turn 2 he sped up the MC75 and CR90 and turned across me to come by my left hand side. MC75 had ISD-Left double arced but only the front arc was in close range. My flagship got 4 damage on the MC75 at long range with 2 accuracies dropping the side shield and a hull. Turn 3 my left ISD got hurt a bit and the MC75 went around my side. I retaliate with it repairing the shield damage and killing the CR90 with a good roll (and Vader reroll) and a lucky +1 damage card crit, also dropped the rear shield on the MC80 (shot the side, it redirected). Then I moved blocking Defiance from getting away from the other two ISDs. Defiance shot my left ISD double arcing but I got a brace on the smaller shot. A long range and a medium range Vader ISD shots then got Defiance onto 4 hull and only 1 full shield on the far side. Turn 4 Defiance repairs shields & shoots, double arcing my left ISD and it survives on 1 hull with the brace used twice keeping me alive. Then Defiance rams it to death but dies to the other two ISDs as it was unable to get to long range. Turn 5&6 I Kill Jan with a little luck and some double arcs and get the MC75 down to 5 Hull, it then repairs and leaves. I score 2 Touchdowns for an 8-3.

Game 2 v Tagge commanded by @Ginkapo

Raider 1, Tagge
Raider 1, Hall Monitor Vader
Gozanti, Suppressor, Slicer Tools, Tua, ECM - Nasty
Gozanti, Slicer Tools
GSD-I, E-Rax, OE
GSD-I, E-Rax, OE
GSD-I, Demolisher, ACM, OE, Brunson

Second player again doing Contested Outpost. A vertical wall of rocks down the center and the base in the open, mid-left of the table, close to the half way line. I did my usual deployment near the left corner facing the base with the flagship in the middle of them and the right ISD facing slightly to the right. Gozanti on a long flanking move round my left flank, Vader-Raider speed 4 coming straight toward the base, Tagge behind this at speed 2, 2 GSDs then Demolisher furthest out coming around my Right side all speed 3.

Turn 1 I slow my Right ISD and nav hard right. Others yaw right too. His left flanking flagship and flotilla go wide to my left and the Vader-Raider gets to the base in lots of front arcs. GSDs come in fast with Demolisher the far side of the rock wall. Turn 2 Vader in the Raider lightsabers the pants off my S-Adviser and does about 3 damage to my Flagship. It almost jumps over me but fails and is destroyed by one of my ships. My Right ISD navs twice right at speed 1 which was a bit too far and the GSDs get to cut in and come for my flagship mostly ignoring ISD-right's front arc. My gunnery teams soften up all GSDs a bit but one of them has my flagship double arced now. Slicer tools gives a squadron token to the Right ISD but I have a SFO. My left ISD has slowed and fallen in behind the flagship. Turn 3 A GSD double arcs my Flagship and uses the E-Rax too. It then bursts past but is now in the front arc of ISD-Left. I shoot Demolisher while it is still in ISD Right's front arc and side shot at the other GSD softening both up a bit more but Brunson helped a lot on Demolisher. Slicers give a Squadron command to Vader's ship and shoots it. Vader hurts the activated GSD with a flank shot and doesn't get an accuracy against another GSD out the front. I then move toward it and get shot at close range and am now on 2 hull. My left ISD kills that first GSD and shoots out the side at Tagge's Raider who was getting close - dropping a flank shield and 1 crit doing a damage when it is above speed 1. Demolisher fails to kill my flagship at long range so has to come in close to easily do it with the second shot but I think Gink would have liked to put this shot into ISD Right. Turn 4 GSD fires at ISD-Left and runs past it into the flank arcs. I shoot it and the flagship and inch forwards. ISD Right gets past Demolisher hitting it with a side shot. Demolisher cuts around and ACMs my rear. Slicers hand out Squadron commands again. Turn 5 GSD escapes, Demolisher gets hurt, ISD right speeds up. Raider takes a crit doing a damage if it takes a command. Turn 6 Demolisher hits ISD-Right again but it repairs and has about 9 hull now with Demolisher looking rather tattered. Tagge's raider takes 2 damage from existing crits, shooting ISD left but Tagge dies in a collision. Other ships take a bit of damage but not much happens. I lost 159 for the Flagship ISD but kill 2 Raiders and a cheap GSD. 5 outpost tokens gets me a 7-4.

Game 3 v Thrawn commanded by @Touston

ISD-I, Tua, ECM, Exp Hangar, Boosted Comms, Flight Controllers, Thrawn
Quasar-I, Exp Hangar, Boosted Comms, Squall
Gozanti, Boosted Comms, BCC
Rhymer, 6 TIE-B, Dengar, Jumpmaster, Tempest, TIE-F, Black Squadron

Equal bids but I win the toss and choose second player, another Blockade Run. I narrow the table a bit with rocks and deploy abreast in the center about 3" from the start line at speed 3 with my flagship in the middle. Gozanti is to my right with about 4 bombers near it. Other two are to my left with the rest of the squadrons. I plow forwards with all ships doing a single Yaw to their left aiming for the bigger ships. Gozanti speeds up, others slow to 1 and the squadrons creep forwards at the limit of boosted comms activation. Turn 2 Gozanti speeds up again and the Thrawn squadron command brings Rhymer and a friend to attack my left ISD. It repairs and advances. It gets bombed again by 5 squadrons but no double hits as the BCC was out of range for most of them. I use the S-adviser. Quasar again bombs the damaged ISD and bombs my right ISD with some that couldn't quite reach. I shoot his ISD for 4 damage and put in 2 glorious Flak shots against a concentrated ball killing the TIE-F & black squadron. Turn 3, his ISD bombs my left ISD and shoots it at medium range. It retaliates with a glorious 10 damage 1 Acc V the ISD and 9 damage 1 acc v the quasar and then rams the quasar to death. Sadly his ISD had ECM. My other shots kill a jumpmaster and hurt the ISD-I badly. Turn 4 ISD-1 kills my left ISD and then dies as does the Gozanti.  A 9-2 victory.

Thoughts

Game 1 I shouldn't have turned all three ships to the right early on letting the MC75 Nav past me. Keep to your lanes until certain which way he is trying to go.

Game 2 was unnerving against so many activations and the threat of LAST/FIRST GSDs. A 6 ship with better upgrades on the GSDs/Raiders would have been challenging not to loose a second ISD. But then this build would eat into activations and fighter defence (Slicers & Vader) making it more vulnerable to other types of list.

Game 3 was the first strong bomber force I had encountered with triple Cymoon. It was nasty getting bombed so much but I only had 2 ships to kill before tabling. This was made easier by the fact that the Imperial carriers naturally come towards you unlike Rebel MC80C or AFIIBs that can bomb, shoot and retreat into (or beyond) long range. Rieekan keeping these alive and the extra treat of Yavaris could be a lot more challenging.

Edited by Mad Cat

Grats, @Mad Cat! Considering switching to Vader for SC #2. JJ was great at always having opponents in my front arcs, but I could use additional dice modification. In my first match, I rolled ungodly good (three double hits on my first three rolls and I only tirned two dice all game with IF), but in my second, rolled 3-4 blanks every attack, after DTTs and IF. Thanks for the great TC battle rep!

I think the general core strength is the fire saturation at range (acknowledging that the massive amount of hull is certainly great), simply because the latter two could be more dependent on your choice of admiral.  For instance, Motti might make hull your core strengh.  While JJ is great for maneuvering, in my build, he still just supports keeping enemy ships in the front arc, preferably at long range.

Please post your variation, because I’m always interest in other TC builds.

1 hour ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I think the general core strength is the fire saturation at range (acknowledging that the massive amount of hull is certainly great), simply because the latter two could be more dependent on your choice of admiral.  For instance, Motti might make hull your core strengh.  While JJ is great for maneuvering, in my build, he still just supports keeping enemy ships in the front arc, preferably at long range.

Please post your variation, because I’m always interest in other TC builds.

I have a tourney coming up soon.  I'm considering the list and I'll post it after.

59 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

Do you think 2 Cymoons could do it if the third ship was backup?

I would think so.  I have been fairly lucky with deployments and my opponents' maneuvering in that all three of my Cymoons have been in the fight during my matches, but I think that most of the time one of them is going to be maneuvering and not firing.  I also tested a list with two Cymoons and an Interdoctor that showed promise; just wasn't getting the same amount of firepower though (and the Interdoctor dragged along at speed 2, with no Engine techs).