Archlyte

WWII Situations Suggestions

I notice that AoR games feel really great World War II feel. I think the movie Rogue One captured this pretty well as the Yavin base reminded me of an RAF Fighter/Bomber command base. What are some things you used that were WWII analogues in your AoR games? 

Stuff from the British fighting in North Africa or the Japanese defense in the pacific would probably have the stuff you're looking for. They have daring raids and a desperate defense against an imperialistic juggernaut that's all but unstoppable.

You might look at the US Army and Allied strategy for Burma-China-India and the OSS operations that were run in that region. Since the Rebel Alliance doesn't field many "regular forces" and won't be looking for many major battles an the irregular / early special forces / espionage units and operations more directly map to what they would be doing. Basically, the idea was to take advantage of Japan being overextended fighting the US Navy and Marines in the Pacific to wreak havoc in their back yard. I've always run the empire as having too many worlds to effectively occupy or blockade all of them. As a result, they have to detail most of their ships and forces to major production centers, trade routes, and economic worlds. If the rebels can create a lot of havoc in one place and force the empire to concentrate ships and troops there, that means they are leaving other places undefended and opening the door to havoc elsewhere. Hence the Rebel's focus on special forces, sedition and dissent, and hit and run starfighter tactics. A few other WWII inspirations: Blacksheep Squadron, which inspired the TV show "Ba Ba Blacksheep," and SAS operations in North Africa, which inspired the TV Show "Rat Patrol." Both would work for more combat oriented Rebel games. Speaking of WWII inspired media, you could also do a Star Wars version of "The Dirty Dozen" or "Guns of the Navarrone." I'd probably avoid Bridge Over the River Kwai. The last thing we need is Obi Wan in Kahki shorts whistling The Colonel Bogey March....

Edited by Vondy

Looking to the French Resistance is a good source of inspiration, same with the Polish resistance. Both give some pretty good examples of how a rebel group might operate in urban environments. From sabotage and assassinations to theft and clandestine press, there's something for everyone there.

I'd agree with resistance movements, or if you want a more openly violent game Soviet partisans are an interesting model for stuff. I'd recommend movies like Defiance, Flame and Citron or even Stalingrad. Stuff like that has all sorts of good ideas that may go well with in an rpg. 

The St Nazaire raid is pretty much begging to be Star Warized and it's not as terribly well known as other operations. 

The drydock can be quite easily refluffed as the only space dock in the sector large enough to service Super Star Destroyers, or even just regular Star Destroyers, and destroying it would be a blow to Imperial logistics.

I've based a few Star Wars adventures on old WW2 movies due to them having the same feel. For example, Where Eagles Dare was inspiration for an X-wing prototype/engineer rescue mission. I of course named it, "Where Rebels Dare". If you know the movie, the mission had to be completed while also trying to reveal who the Imperial double-agent amongst the Rebels was (a secondary purpose of the mission, which was a trap to find the Imperial agent).

18 hours ago, penpenpen said:

The St Nazaire raid is pretty much begging to be Star Warized and it's not as terribly well known as other operations. 

The drydock can be quite easily refluffed as the only space dock in the sector large enough to service Super Star Destroyers, or even just regular Star Destroyers, and destroying it would be a blow to Imperial logistics.

So true! 

There's also the Norwegian raids on heavy water plants that could be used. Fluff it as Rebels stopping supplies that might complete a superweapon.

For a more Y-Wing centered mission, there's always dambusting.

And for those that need a break from combat, there could be some sessions where the goal is to deceive Imperial troops into thinking an attack is coming somewhere else or thinking that the Rebels have more forces than they actually have, since a lot of military deception operations go those two ways.

If you get the chance have read the book "Twilight Company" by Alexander Freed. Has some cool moments and ive certainly used some ideas from it for sessions. 

But echoing everything everyone has said here. The British commando raids against German occupied Europe make for great inspiration. Also reading up on the SAS in Europe are great as well. Small teams where inserted into Europe to support resistance movements. Having the party support a local resistance movement would be a great arc.

I plan on adapting the plot from Tobruk... a small squad sent into to assist a larger assault on an Imperial Fuel Processing Facility & en route they discover a large Imperial Force waiting to ambush the main attack which they’ve been tipped off to by either a rebel traitor or Imperial Spy!

Pretty much any WWII film works.

Kelly's Heroes is also an option for the....less altruistic....rebels.

Replace Tigers with AT-ATs, the gold with the legion's payroll delivery, or pay-offs for/from local crime lords, and you've got an interesting heist.

Also consider Where Eagles Dare - an ISB headquarters, and ISB agents inside the resistance.

Sink The Bismarck! takes a bit of adapting but is doable. Replace the Bismarck with a destroyer which has just polished off a rebel squadron - it hasn't disengaged because lucky hits took out her navicomputer and hyperdrive - she's short on fighter cover after the battle and stuck in the system. However, an Imperial-class isn't that slow as starships go, and more importantly she has longer range sensors than any of the fighters and corvettes chasing her, and if brought to bay by only a few units.....damaged or not, she's still a star destroyer.

If your group is funny: Hogan's Heroes. A plucky team of Rebel prisoners who routinely break out of the Imperial military stockade to carry about rebel operations right under the Empire's noses. The Imperial Army Commander and senior-most seargeant are, of course, affably unwitting accomplices.

To that end, virtually any of the breakout-type movies like The Great Escape, Stalag 17, Von Ryan's Express, even the more recent Empire of the Sun could offer inspiration.

To make things a little different, running a ship-based adventure (a campaign might be too much) based off of a submarine movie like Run Silent, Run Deep could be fun, too. The Rebels could take the part of a privateer/commerce raider. I'd think anything from a gunship like a Skipray Blastboat up to a small corvette might work if the PCs are occupying the roles of the bridge crew.

Edited by SFC Snuffy
Punctuation

1 hour ago, SFC Snuffy said:

To make things a little different, running a ship-based adventure (a campaign might be too much) based off of a submarine movie like Run Silent, Run Deep could be fun, too. The Rebels could take the part of a privateer/commerce raider. I'd think anything from a gunship like a Skipray Blastboat up to a small corvette might work if the PCs are occupying the roles of the bridge crew.

Or, trying to get a damaged corvette to safety, Operation Petticoat. The art of jury-rigging and scrounging whilst on the run sounds like ideal rebel operations to me.

The Enemy Below is one of the only ones I'm not convinced by; the 'predicting the moves of a target you can't see' is a bit too key to the plot there, and unless you want to introduce cloaking devices that doesn't really work.

For real-world secret missions you can task a rebel spec-ops force with, consider...well....anything done during WWII by No. 30 Commando - founded by Commander Ian Fleming (yes, that Ian Fleming) and essentially responsible for going in during commando ops to loot documents, technology, and research scientists during the chaos of raids and invasions.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

An idea for fighter/bomber pilots could be a Star Wars take on the skipping barrel bomb missions to take out hydroelectric dams.  Could come up with some sort of Imperial shield protecting an installation that has a unique weakness that requires some tricky flying to attack, perhaps in coordination with a ground team to infiltrate the target and create an opening.  I like the Telemark mission as well, Norwegian commandos trained in Britain return to Norway to take out a Nazi facility producing heavy water and providing power to nearby towns/bases.  Then they have to ski away and avoid capture until they get evacuated.

Edit:  Was just reminded of the story of a German supercannon they built into the side of a hill that could shell Britain from France.  The Maquis uncovered the plans for it and then waited for them to complete it, thereby wasting all the time, manpower, and resources then called in the RAF to bomb it.  Maybe a bit too much like the typical Imperial superweapon plot though.

Edited by Octavian84

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Lucas based the trench run during the Battle of Yavin on "Dambusters", right down to the gradually closing lines on the targeting computers reflecting the angled spotlights on the bottom of the Lancaster bombers.
This scene is almost a scene-for-scene playback of Gold Leader's run. He all but says: "They didn't go in...just impacted on the surface!" :

21 hours ago, Daronil said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Lucas based the trench run during the Battle of Yavin on "Dambusters", right down to the gradually closing lines on the targeting computers reflecting the angled spotlights on the bottom of the Lancaster bombers.
This scene is almost a scene-for-scene playback of Gold Leader's run. He all but says: "They didn't go in...just impacted on the surface!" :

That's what everyone says, but there's an even greater similarity between the Battle of Yavin and the raid in 633 Squadron. A squadron of Mosquito bombers making a low-level attack down a Norwegian fjord in the face of German fighters and anti-aircraft fire, to hit a pinpoint target and destroy a rocket fuel factory.

55 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

That's what everyone says, but there's an even greater similarity between the Battle of Yavin and the raid in 633 Squadron. A squadron of Mosquito bombers making a low-level attack down a Norwegian fjord in the face of German fighters and anti-aircraft fire, to hit a pinpoint target and destroy a rocket fuel factory.

I'll have to look out for it; I've never seen it.