Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Squad Selection Article

15 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

As for me personally, I plan on using something like this to clip the ships+upgrades that I’m using together. Then, if table space is limited, with a little luck and/or modifying I can stand my cards upright and display them like that, or even move them around with relatively little difficulty. 

Keeping the tokens organized seems frustrating, though.

6 hours ago, CerberusUC said:

I'm personally just looking forward to how much extra space everyone will need at tournaments to set up their lists. Increasing the size of upgrade cards and putting tokens on half of them sure will make the game of finding space for it all more interesting!

swz01_a7_squad-build_diagram.png

Wow! Imagine a TIE swarm

6 hours ago, CerberusUC said:

I'm personally just looking forward to how much extra space everyone will need at tournaments to set up their lists. Increasing the size of upgrade cards and putting tokens on half of them sure will make the game of finding space for it all more interesting!

Wow! Imagine a TIE swarm

21 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

Wow! Imagine a TIE swarm

Probably exactly as it is now? Eight pilot cards?

I've played the Vader miniswarm and the four black cracks take up the same amount of space they used to - a pilot card and a single half card. 

Frankly the tokens make it easier as you don't have to flip the crack shot card now.

But turning over the s foil card (which is partly under Luke's card which has shield and force tokens on it) is not incredibly convenient. 

3 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

They had me at hello with this. Screw those little cards, glad they are gone, now if they explain to me why the one thing you shuffle is still smurf sized I’d be happy.

Yeah, I made sure to preorder a core set from FFG. With the promo damage deck, I'll be saying goodbye to tiny cards forever. 

Well, except for games like Fallout, where they're still super useful for all the little decks.

7 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Not necessarily.

They could call Sep13 the general release date, delay things until then, and assume genconners make do with the pre-designed squads in the box for a month...

That would make it impossible to use 90% of the content from the conversion kits for that month, as only the Core set and the first 6 ships in 2.0 wave 1 are going to include the quick-build cards. 

Seems like kind of a **** move. 

1 minute ago, Tvboy said:

That would make it impossible to use 90% of the content from the conversion kits for that month, as only the Core set and the first 6 ships in 2.0 wave 1 are going to include the quick-build cards. 

Seems like kind of a **** move. 

... No more of a **** move to the rest of the world than releasing things early exclusively at a US convention...

7 hours ago, CerberusUC said:

I’m hoping someone comes up with cardholder pages similar to the ones in the link below. But you’d have the Pilot Card in the middle, and the upgrade card spots going behind the pilot card stacked two rows high. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pages-Pocket-Stand-Sleeves-Piece/dp/B01CS104FE/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528152334&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=mini+american+card+pages&dpPl=1&dpID=51NdNY3nm2L&ref=plSrch

54 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

... No more of a **** move to the rest of the world than releasing things early exclusively at a US convention...

Eh... That's an interesting perspective. 

So does making the conversion kits unusable until 9/13 make things fair in your mind? 

2 hours ago, piznit said:

Imma put mine stapled to a lampshade and wear it on my head.  Perfect way to incorporate stereotypical drinking party wardrobe, as well as cosplaying the guy from the Legion TV show

2 hours ago, Ixidor said:

Keeping the tokens organized seems frustrating, though.

Velcro!  Or magnets!

7 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Can't wait for the preview article where they show us what dice are.

They're the same.

Dice, Asteroids, Debris, Small and large bases, Physical models, and tokens, (Except for the target locks) will all transfer over.

Templates will technically transfer but you're better off getting new ones because of the centerline. 

Range rulers will be fine though.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

If it makes you feel better, it's not really any more available to most of us in the US, either.

Of course, I've also got kids that aren't quite ready for me to take them to GenCon, so I could live in the same city, and the pre-release wouldn't be any more available to me!

9 hours ago, CerberusUC said:

That's the main thing that occurred to me while reading the article. At my game store, we've barely had enough room for just a handful of ships with only a few upgrade cards across the table. I'm not even sure where to put this huge spread. I like the idea of these upgrade cards in theory, but this picture suddenly has me concerned.

6 hours ago, Incard said:

The point of the Quick Build cards and the Threat levels are so that players can use the game right out of the box without needing to download the app. Threat levels are "approximately" 25 points, not exactly 25 points; so it's ok if point values change somewhat later. I do not expect any errata to Quick Build cards for the purpose of updating the threat levels (unless there is an actual mistake).

That's what I was thinking. The threat cards are specifically built and balanced from a quick play perspective. Point value changes are irrelevant to them, and most balance changes will be as well. The biggest issue facing a threat card is one of them including a combo with a loophole they didn't foresee, which will probably happen at some point, but in general the idea is that since they're predetermined combos to begin with, they don't need to be altered constantly.

42 minutes ago, Incard said:

I am reasonably sure that FlyingAnchors was making a joke about how rudimentary the recent 2nd edition articles have been. ^_^

Yeah, it's kinda weird. I've seen someone say they're for entirely new players, but I don't think they do such a great job at that either. I haven't played X-Wing in a long time and I never truly learned all of the rules. I don't remember a lot of the rules, and reading these articles don't really fill in the gaps I have now and they just leave me more confused.

Edited by Jokubas

57 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

How about don't release any of it early at a country-specific event?  Just have everything available globally, at the same time.

If you have been following the legion release cycle it's safe to say half of Europe will probably be getting their hands on copies around the time of gen con anyway. :)

6 minutes ago, ElricStormbringer said:

If you have been following the legion release cycle it's safe to say half of Europe will probably be getting their hands on copies around the time of gen con anyway. :)

Lets assume I haven't been.  Also, I'm not in Europe; I'm in that part of the world FFG seems to have forgotten exists, based on their distribution of System Opens: Asia.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

7 hours ago, Trevor Goodchild said:

Well the biggest thing I took away from the article was:

Despite lacking Force abilities, Jek Porkins can still hold his own in the midst of an intense battle.

?

Finally a little more self effacing humour in these articles. They’ve turned Jek from a joke in the movies who couldn’t hold it, to a very viable pilot!

Well - in fairness, the two other obvious choices for core set pilots (biggs and garven) don't really work because a game with only one xwing makes their abilities pointless.

But, yes, it's nice to see him be actually competent.

36 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Lets assume I haven't been.  Also, I'm not in Europe; I'm in that part of the world FFG seems to have forgotten exists, based on their distribution of System Opens: Asia.

I feel your pain. It's not even licensed out here in Japan.

15 minutes ago, Vandenberg said:

I feel your pain. It's not even licensed out here in Japan.

I think it's licensed here in China... At least, there was an Asmodee stall at a recent board game convention which had X-Wing in its brochure.  Haven't found anywhere/anyone playing it however.  Been in Beijing 8 months and Im starting to get withdrawals.

7 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Eh... That's an interesting perspective. 

So does making the conversion kits unusable until 9/13 make things fair in your mind? 

Who said fair? No part of it is fair.  

Its a **** move or a **** move.

Hobestly though, For the ~500 or so people truly affected? I think this is a minor point compared to the rest of the quibbles I read on the X Wing forums every day, more and more happy that this does not directly involve me.