Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Squad Selection Article

1 hour ago, CerberusUC said:

I'm personally just looking forward to how much extra space everyone will need at tournaments to set up their lists. Increasing the size of upgrade cards and putting tokens on half of them sure will make the game of finding space for it all more interesting!

swz01_a7_squad-build_diagram.png

Compare to this picture from another article recently:

91dc8b923111f227f6e2e9d9c816723c.png

I'm not seeing a whole lot less room, especially since 2.0 upgrade cards can also fit in two rows, something they neglected to do for that card spread.

Edited by Kieransi

1 hour ago, svelok said:

Shouldn't be too big an issue for tournaments, which should have the table space to spare.

That isn’t what most people have been saying. They’re saying that tournaments have tried to cram in as many spaces as possible, with some having built custom tables with just exactly the amount of space needed. 

The threat cards are a great idea for the occasional or thematic player. But it works against the principle of the fluidity of the app in managing costs. What happens when some of these threat builds have upgrades or pilots that wind costing far more or less as the game evolves? 

I suppose they can just issue errata threat cards, or do it all through the app and invalidate the first generation ones. Still, seems an odd design choice in terms of printing cards. Why not just do it all through the app? 

1 hour ago, CerberusUC said:

I'm personally just looking forward to how much extra space everyone will need at tournaments to set up their lists. Increasing the size of upgrade cards and putting tokens on half of them sure will make the game of finding space for it all more interesting!

swz01_a7_squad-build_diagram.png

The Game within a Game.  May the best organizer win!

6 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

They should have kept upgrade cards mini-sized. The part that overlaps serves zero purpose and just makes it all more difficult to move stuff around.

The form factor is now a little different on the part that shows, allowing for more/bigger text on the card.

The overlapping thing isn't the most helpful thing ever but does keep the cards from blowing around as easily, which is nice if you're playing in the summer in a building with fans instead of AC. 

The cards now are all the same size, so you only need one kind of binder page, and it's possible to sort your cards in standard deckboxes now if you don't like binders

8 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Didn't talk about the TIEs 

Rebel bias!!!

Exactly.  Imperials - prepare for disappointment.  We’re underpowered in 1.0 and 2.0 is looking like business as usual.  ? 

22 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

What happens when some of these threat builds have upgrades or pilots that wind costing far more or less as the game evolves? 

I would think individual card cost changes are not likely going to be enough to change a threat level.  These cards are for quick, app free games.  I suspect these cards are not for those looking for the finely tuned values.

50 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Compare to this picture from another article recently:

91dc8b923111f227f6e2e9d9c816723c.png

I'm not seeing a whole lot less room, especially since 2.0 upgrade cards can also fit in two rows, something they neglected to do for that card spread.

The cards in the second example are scaled up, they are smaller in person (about 1/3 the size of pilot cards). The 2.0 upgrades are the same size as pilot cards and do not use about 1/3 of the space. Therefore the cards take up at least double the space even if you are taking the time to overlap them all.

Edited by CerberusUC

11 minutes ago, Sasajak said:

I would think individual card cost changes are not likely going to be enough to change a threat level.  These cards are for quick, app free games.  I suspect these cards are not for those looking for the finely tuned values.

And indeed, since they are mainly for quick pick-up games, etc, the players will be more willing to just agree to a modification of that builds threat level on the fly, if one is needed. Or give a bennie to the other player by letting them throw another upgrade on, etc.

33 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

The form factor is now a little different on the part that shows, allowing for more/bigger text on the card.

The overlapping thing isn't the most helpful thing ever but does keep the cards from blowing around as easily, which is nice if you're playing in the summer in a building with fans instead of AC. 

The cards now are all the same size, so you only need one kind of binder page, and it's possible to sort your cards in standard deckboxes now if you don't like binders

They actually allow less text on the cards, considering there is space taken up by the token icons on their right panel.

If your fans are so powerful that they can blow mini cards, they will likely blow these cards as well. Cards are likely the same density as before (same cardboard). Larger cards = more weight but also more surface area = more or less equal chances of getting blown. I might even go as far as guessing that overlapping cards might allow them to catch wind easier as the overlapping creates a small gap for air to go under them.

For veteran players, storage might not be a big issue as we/they already have sleeves/binders for minis. In my case, bigger cards, would mean having to buy more standard binders and sleeves.

I really want to love 2e. It has good stuff for sure. But there is so much bad stuff that is really offsetting a lot of the good.

*EDIT: Threat cards are a fantastic idea. I hope they are included in the conversion kits.

Edited by OoALEJOoO

2 hours ago, Cubanboy said:

I just want to know when the AP is coming out.

I know some have said GenCon possibly, but back during the big reveal FFG stream (in Twitch chat), FFG account mentioned that the app would release on Sept 13th as well. Here's to hoping that the August/GenCon is the actual date.

38 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

What happens when some of these threat builds have upgrades or pilots that wind costing far more or less as the game evolves? 

The point of the Quick Build cards and the Threat levels are so that players can use the game right out of the box without needing to download the app. Threat levels are "approximately" 25 points, not exactly 25 points; so it's ok if point values change somewhat later. I do not expect any errata to Quick Build cards for the purpose of updating the threat levels (unless there is an actual mistake).

7 minutes ago, Maizrim said:

I know some have said GenCon possibly, but back during the big reveal FFG stream (in Twitch chat), FFG account mentioned that the app would release on Sept 13th as well. Here's to hoping that the August/GenCon is the actual date.

Alex Davy allegedly said this weekend that it may be coming out with the gencon prerelease.

14 minutes ago, CerberusUC said:

The cards in the second example are scaled up, they are smaller in person (about 1/3 the size of pilot cards). The 2.0 upgrades are the same size as pilot cards and do not use about 1/3 of the space. Therefore the cards take up at least double the space even if you are taking the time to overlap them all.

That's not exactly correct. The 1.0 upgrade cards are exactly as tall as the 1.0 pilot cards are wide, which is also the case in that picture. They just left extra space between them in that one, which is also what they did in the picture of the 2.0 list. They're actually all the proper scale with each other.

Two 1.0 upgrade cards nearly cover a 1.0 pilot card. The part of a 2.0 upgrade card that shows is a bit larger than the size of a 1.0 pilot card minus a 1.0 upgrade card, which is about 30% wider and exactly the same height as a 1.0 upgrade card. Therefore, they are 30% more area, not twice as large. 

58 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

The threat cards are a great idea for the occasional or thematic player. But it works against the principle of the fluidity of the app in managing costs. What happens when some of these threat builds have upgrades or pilots that wind costing far more or less as the game evolves? 

I suppose they can just issue errata threat cards, or do it all through the app and invalidate the first generation ones. Still, seems an odd design choice in terms of printing cards. Why not just do it all through the app? 

Threat cards are for casual play. Tournaments are going to require point costs. Given how little optimization is really done for the threat cards, I suspect they won't really be a problem going forward if someone wants to run some sort of threat-card based tournament, though.

56 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

They should have kept upgrade cards mini-sized. The part that overlaps serves zero purpose and just makes it all more difficult to move stuff around.

The part that overlaps handles the upgrade type icon, as well as any requirements for using that upgrade, which you only need during squad building, and not during gameplay. This frees up text space on the visible part of the card. It also makes it obvious which ship the upgrade card is associated with. In 1.0, if you had pilot cards in a line, it wasn't necessarily immediately obvious what upgrades went with which ships, aside from a general convention (though not requirement) to put the upgrade cards to the right of the pilot card.

15 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

They actually allow less text on the cards, considering there is space taken up by the token icons on their right panel.

The visible half of the card appears to be about the same size as the 1.0 upgrade cards. Only now the point costs are gone, the upgrade type is moved to the non-visible half, and so are any requirements. This provides more space on the visible half for text or any icons. It's also cleaner - the info that's only needed during squad building is covered up, so doesn't clutter up the area needed for gameplay purposes.

Edited by Freeptop

11 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

If your fans are so powerful that they can blow mini cards, they will likely blow these cards as well. Cards are likely the same density as before (same cardboard). Larger cards = more weight but also more surface area = more or less equal chances of getting blown. I might even go as far as guessing that overlapping cards might allow them to catch wind easier as the overlapping creates a small gap for air to go under them.

For veteran players, storage might not be a big issue as we/they already have sleeves/binders for minis. In my case, bigger cards, would mean having to buy more standard binders and sleeves.

I really want to love 2e. It has good stuff for sure. But there is so much bad stuff that is really offsetting a lot of the good.

I don't mean to sound rude, but it seems kinda fussy to be turned off on 2.0 because they didn't use the same odd little non-standard cards that 1.0 used. 

I kind of think that this is a non-issue. As I said in the other post above, these new cards take up about 30% more table area, which is more than made up for by that they're reducing the card bloat so you won't have to make room for ATC, TIE/x1, Renegade Refit, Chaardan Refit, A-Wing Test Pilot, Extra Munitions, Lightweight Frame, Guidance Chips, LRS, and all the other "fix" cards. 

The little cards are also a lot easier to lose. I have to admit, there's upgrade cards all over my house and I can never find where the heck the right one is. I'm super looking forward to being able to sort into deckboxes, which is now possible. 

They also have more space for fun alt-art cards and stuff, which I'm looking forward to! 

5 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

The little cards are also a lot easier to lose. I have to admit, there's upgrade cards all over my house and I can never find where the heck the right one is. I'm super looking forward to being able to sort into deckboxes, which is now possible. 

They had me at hello with this. Screw those little cards, glad they are gone, now if they explain to me why the one thing you shuffle is still smurf sized I’d be happy.

14 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

The visible half of the card appears to be about the same size as the 1.0 upgrade cards. Only now the point costs are gone, the upgrade type is moved to the non-visible half, and so are any requirements. This provides more space on the visible half for text or any icons. It's also cleaner - the info that's only needed during squad building is covered up, so doesn't clutter up the area needed for gameplay purposes.

Yeah, it's hard to see how anyone could think the new cards have less room for text. The fact that these new cards don't need to fill the first 1/4" of space with "REBEL ONLY. SMALL SHIP ONLY. MODIFICATION. CANNOT EQUIP IF SATURN IS ASCENDING" already means that there will be more room on the cards for actual effective text.

Basically, all the information that doesn't affect the game once players are ready for setup has been moved to other areas. It's giving more usable real-estate overall.

1 hour ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Are you suggesting that that takes up more space than the text of  "Your action bar gains the (boost) and (focus linked into red boost) icons?"

Because...

Um...

Edit: Even if the words adding an action took up NO space, I'm pretty sure there's STILL quite a lot more space on the new upgrade cards, especially since the squad building restrictions have been removed to the invisible side of the card.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Well the biggest thing I took away from the article was:

Despite lacking Force abilities, Jek Porkins can still hold his own in the midst of an intense battle.

?

Finally a little more self effacing humour in these articles. They’ve turned Jek from a joke in the movies who couldn’t hold it, to a very viable pilot!

3 hours ago, piznit said:

The Game within a Game.  May the best organizer win!

As for me personally, I plan on using something like this to clip the ships+upgrades that I’m using together. Then, if table space is limited, with a little luck and/or modifying I can stand my cards upright and display them like that, or even move them around with relatively little difficulty.