Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

a couple of questions from a beginner. 

if I draw a hunter enemy card that doesn’t spawn, where do I place it? Does it go to the current location? 

Also, what is the difference between the current location and the threat area? 

Thanks, Dave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Dave,

An enemy with no spawn instructions spawns engaged with the player who drew it. They still have an engagement timing though, so stuff like Zoey's ability or cross will go off. Enemies engaged with the player are placed in that player's threat area.

The threat area is specific to the player, not the location. Enemies in a payer's threat area are considered to be at that player's location, and will go with an investigator if he or she moves (unless you evade them, of course), just like other encounter cards that stay in your threat area.

Massive enemies are an exception: they're always engaged to whoever's at their location (unless they're exhausted), they have no engagement timing, they don't go in anyone's threat area, and they don't move with investigators (although they do get an attack of opportunity if an engaged investigator moves).

Hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SGPrometheus said:

Hey Dave,

An enemy with no spawn instructions spawns engaged with the player who drew it. They still have an engagement timing though, so stuff like Zoey's ability or cross will go off. Enemies engaged with the player are placed in that player's threat area.

The threat area is specific to the player, not the location. Enemies in a payer's threat area are considered to be at that player's location, and will go with an investigator if he or she moves (unless you evade them, of course), just like other encounter cards that stay in your threat area.

Massive enemies are an exception: they're always engaged to whoever's at their location (unless they're exhausted), they have no engagement timing, they don't go in anyone's threat area, and they don't move with investigators (although they do get an attack of opportunity if an engaged investigator moves).

Hope this helps. 

Still not completely clear on the difference between current location and threat area. A few more games should make it easier to grasp. 

Thanks for taking the time,

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An enemy in your threat area is also at the same location as you. If you move to a new location the enemy will stay in your threat area and always be considered to be in the same location as you. Massive enemies act a bit different though.

Edited by Sindriss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sindriss said:

An enemy in your threat area is also at the same location as you. If you move to a new location the enemy will stay in your threat area and always be considered to be in the same location as you. Massive enemies act a bit different though.

Ok, so an engaged enemy is in the threat area and an unengaged enemy isn’t but can be in the same location. Is that right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct. But they auto engage with an investigator when they are in the same location, so the only way you could be in the same location with an un-engaged enemy is if they are engaged with someone else, exhausted or aloof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sindriss said:

Correct. But they auto engage with an investigator when they are in the same location, so the only way you could be in the same location with an un-engaged enemy is if they are engaged with someone else, exhausted or aloof.

Ok, think I have it now. Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated. 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, daverayjord said:

Still not completely clear on the difference between current location and threat area. A few more games should make it easier to grasp. 

Thanks for taking the time,

Dave

You have your Play Area - where your character card, assets, deck, and discard pile are.  If you have enough room at your table, they're all in a single row.

Immediately above that is your Threat Area.  It's its own row where bad stuff congregates.  This includes all monsters engaged with you as well as some encounter cards (like Frozen in Fear) and some weaknesses (like Haunted).  Such non-enemy cards will tell you to put them into your Threat Area in their Revelation effect.

01164.png01098.jpg

Above your Threat Area is the rest of game.  Wherever your character's mini card is, you are.  Wherever you are, your Play Area and Threat Area are and so too are their contents.

It's all shown on page 6 of the Learn to Play.

When you disengage an enemy that enemy is exhausted (rotated 90°), removed from your Threat Area, and placed at your location.

Any ready enemy (that is neither Aloof nor Massive) will immediately engage an investigator at their location.  If there are multiple investigators, its Prey condition instructs with whom it shall engage.  If there is no Prey condition, the lead investigator chooses whom it engages.  This will happen during the Enemy Phase when either a previously exhausted enemy readies, or an enemy with Hunter moves into their location.

Enemies with the Massive keyword cannot be placed in a character's Threat Area, and while ready are considered engaged with all investigators at their location.

Finally, if an enemy has a Spawn condition and the condition cannot be met, it does not spawn and is placed in the Encounter Discard Pile.  For example, the first scenario's Icy Ghoul cannot be placed if the Cellar location is not in play.

01119.png

Quote

Rules Reference (RR), page 10, second paragraph under Enemy:

When an enemy card is drawn by an investigator, that investigator must spawn it following any spawn direction the card bears (see “Spawn” on page 19).  If the encountered enemy has no spawn direction, the enemy spawns engaged with the investigator encountering the card and is placed in that investigator’s threat area.

Quote

RR, p.10, Enemy Engagement:

While an enemy card is in play, it is either engaged with an investigator (and placed in that investigator’s threat area), or it is unengaged and at a location (and placed at that location). Each enemy in an investigator’s threat area is considered to be at the same location as that investigator, and should the investigator move, the enemy remains engaged and moves to the new location simultaneously with the investigator.

Any time a ready unengaged enemy is at the same location as an investigator, it engages that investigator, and is placed in that investigator’s threat area. If there are multiple investigators at the same location as a ready unengaged enemy, follow the enemy’s prey instructions to determine which investigator is engaged. There is no limit on the number of enemies that can be engaged with a single investigator.

For example, a ready unengaged enemy immediately engages if:

  • It spawns at the same location as an investigator,
  • It moves into the same location as an investigator,
  • An investigator moves into the same location as it.

An exhausted unengaged enemy does not engage, but if an exhausted enemy at the same location as an investigator becomes ready, it engages as soon as it is readied.

  •  Note: An enemy with the Aloof keyword does not engage in the manner described above.
Quote

RR, p.15, Massive:

Massive is a keyword ability. A ready enemy with the massive keyword is considered to be engaged with each investigator at the same location as it.

  • An exhausted enemy with the massive keyword is not considered to be engaged with any investigators.
  • An enemy with the massive keyword cannot be placed in an investigator’s threat area.
  • When an enemy with the massive keyword attacks during the enemy phase, resolve its (full) attack against each investigator it is engaged with, one investigator at a time. The lead investigator chooses the order in which these attacks resolve. The massive enemy does not exhaust until its final attack of the phase resolves.
  • When an enemy with the massive keyword makes an attack of opportunity, that attack only resolves against the investigator who provoked the attack.
  • A massive enemy does not move with an engaged investigator who moves away from the massive enemy’s location.
  • If an investigator fails a combat test against a massive enemy, no damage is dealt to the engaged investigators.

All of these rules are subject to exceptions, but the game will tell you every time those occur.

Edited by Duciris
Fixed hyperlink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Duciris said:

You have your Play Area - where your character card, assets, deck, and discard pile are.  If you have enough room at your table, they're all in a single row.

Immediately above that is your Threat Area.  It's its own row where bad stuff congregates.  This includes all monsters engaged with you as well as some encounter cards (like Frozen in Fear) and some weaknesses (like Haunted).  Such non-enemy cards will tell you to put them into your Threat Area in their Revelation effect.

01164.png01098.jpg

Above your Threat Area is the rest of game.  Wherever your character's mini card is, you are.  Wherever you are, your Play Area and Threat Area are and so too are their contents.

It's all shown on page 6 of the Learn to Play.

When you disengage an enemy that enemy is exhausted (rotated 90°), removed from your Threat Area, and placed at your location.

Any ready enemy (that is neither Aloof nor Massive) will immediately engage an investigator at their location.  If there are multiple investigators, its Prey condition instructs with whom it shall engage.  If there is no Prey condition, the lead investigator chooses whom it engages.  This will happen during the Enemy Phase when either a previously exhausted enemy readies, or an enemy with Hunter moves into their location.

Enemies with the Massive keyword cannot be placed in a character's Threat Area, and while ready are considered engaged with all investigators at their location.

Finally, if an enemy has a Spawn condition and the condition cannot be met, it does not spawn and is placed in the Encounter Discard Pile.  For example, the first scenario's Icy Ghoul cannot be placed if the Cellar location is not in play.

01119.png

All of these rules are subject to exceptions, but the game will tell you every time those occur.

Ok, got it. Thanks all. 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...