Uncle_Joe

Genesys Experience to D&D-ish Levels

The problem with trying a comparison like this is the fundimental difference in character types. In DnD each character gets better at combat by virtue of leveling up. In Genesys, getting better at combat is a choice a character/player makes. A very powerful 300+ xp investigative/social character can get destroyed by a starting combat focused character.

The only way to really get a handle on what is an appropriate combat encounter is to look at your group. If they’re a bunch of mercenaries who are all good at fighting then bring on the enemies. If they’re bankers and socialites then an “easy” fight might be the most they can handle.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:08 AM, kaosoe said:

I am not sure it's worth comparing the two. My favorite thing about this system is I don't have to have the "tiered" enemy approach like I do in D&D. A starting level party could go after kobolds, gnolls, drow or even a beholder.

True, but as a fan of the tiered approach I appreciate having this sort of thing worked out for me in case I want to make use of it. Terefang did a great job, IMO.

Edited by finarvyn

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Lorne said:

I will stand by my previous calculation from the F&D beta forum: 40 XP is roughly 8 hours of gametime, wherein one can fit about 8-10 encounters, which is the suggested guideline for leveling in D20.  A 20th level character is equal to 800 earned XP, and a "Jedi Knight" in the old SAGA game was 7th level, about 300 XP here, and "Knight Level" at 150 XP is more like Padawan level. 

This is a neat way to do it as well. Instead of looking at actual character levels, I like the notion of tying it to hours of game play. After all, I can see where a direct conversion could be tricky but a time equivalent could suffice. Gives me one more thing to ponder, so thanks!

4 hours ago, finarvyn said:

True, but as a fan of the tiered approach I appreciate having this sort of thing worked out for me in case I want to make use of it. Terefang did a great job, IMO.

The problem is advancement in the two systems is not equal.  Someone can spend 300xp in Genesys and not be a star in combat at all.  Someone in D&D advances to 10th level they are by default going to be more combat capable and survivable.  The flip side is also true, if someone in Genesys hyper focuses on combat, they will be vastly more offensive and quickly out pace an 'equivalent' level D&D character.

7 hours ago, 2P51 said:

The problem is advancement in the two systems is not equal.  Someone can spend 300xp in Genesys and not be a star in combat at all.  Someone in D&D advances to 10th level they are by default going to be more combat capable and survivable.  The flip side is also true, if someone in Genesys hyper focuses on combat, they will be vastly more offensive and quickly out pace an 'equivalent' level D&D character.

i am with you.

so my conversion tables should only be used in a one-shot process and continue to use Genesys mechanics from there.

@finarvyn thx

I used this formula for figuring out a Level conversion for D&D to Genesys... add the levels together then multiply them by 5 for the amount of Bonus XP the character gets. i.e. 1+2+3+4+5+6=21x5=105, meaning a 6th level D&D character would have 105 Bonus XP. This gives a 20th level character 1,050 Bonus XP in Genesys to spend on Skills and Talents. 

On 6/4/2018 at 6:05 PM, c__beck said:

Most of the character growth in Genesys is lateral, not vertical. What I mean by that is there is little growth of bigger numbers, but rather a growth of breadth of skill.

Even though there is a ranked talent that lets you increase WT by 2 each tier, you won't be taking that at every tier since there are other, better, talents to take at that tier. For example, there's a tier 3 talent that lets you reroll one skill check each session. I would take that over a boring +2WT.

That depends really, Once you have your first dedication, you need pretty quickly fillers to spend 75xp to get the second. Grit, parry, etc are all good fillers for that.