BenDay

2e on the cheap

hypothetically speaking, if you were to play only casual games of second edition what is the minimum new stuff you would have to purchase and still use all your ships?

- pilot cards and upgrades can be done on a printer

- ship bases (plastic part) - need the medium base (a few come with any conversion box)

- ship base (card board) - only 6 pilot skills and no actions printed on them so really if you don't mind the colour and the small ship picture being wrong you can probably get all you need from one conversion box.

- rules - pdf online

- damage deck - 2e core set is probably the easiest and you always need more dice :)

- maneuver templates  - 2e core set, or a little bit of arts and crafts on some 1e stuff.

- Dials!!! - this is the stumper for me. the best I can come up with is separate your old dials, flip the maneuver side facing down, glue the new maneuvers onto it and cut it to be a bit smaller than the top.  Ugly but might just work.

so if you were really allergic to spending money, and already had a printer, then one core set and one conversion of your favorite faction would set you up?  What are your thoughts?

At minimum, probably 2.0 core plus one conversion kit for the bases and properly marked ship tokens (for the new ship arcs, barrel roll line, bullseye, etc).  You can play with rebel ships on an imperial base if you have to, print your cards/list, and homebrew the other faction dials. The best bet for the dials is probably to use the fancy FFG dial protectors if you already have some, you can print on some thick cardstock or something and fit them right in there.

It sounds like a bit of a pain honestly just to save a little money, depending on your situation.

- Damage deck: you could also proxy the deck once pictures emerge online

- Dials: Some dials might stay the same. The ones that change can be manually tweaked by manually drawing the new/added maneuver in-between other maneuvers and painting white maneuvers green/blue (e.g. X-Wing). Alternative 1: use pen & paper, flip. Alternative 2: If you only play solo, some A.I.'s don't even need dials.

- Medium Bases: I am sure 3rd parties will make them. Otherwise you could always build one from acrylic plates, or really any piece of plastic from the house. Cheap $1 store plastic trays are a good source of material. Glue and go.

- Ships: Build papercraft ships, google "X-Wing papercraft" and you will find TONS of stuff. This is a good place to start: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x2l39e0k5rt3h9z/AADyqFa2312ult5Dif_WqMeQa?dl=0

687474703a2f2f666330352e64657669616e7461

cd0a9-sam_7123.jpg?w=593

pa315064.jpg?w=497

EDIT:

- App: place your proxy'd cards inside sleeves. Check online (or print the PDF) and use a sharpie marker to write the point cost on each card's sleeve. When values change, use alcohol to wipe the previous number and write the new one.

Everyone can play casually 2e without really having to buy anything if you really wanted to. Same goes to 1e.

If you love X-Wing, I do recommend supporting FFG with reasonable purchases. Just don't give them your money blindly, otherwise we just make them bloat their prices.

Posts with thoughts in the lines of "shut up and grab my money" don't do anybody any good.

Edited by OoALEJOoO

the paper space ships are cool, but if time is money.... I also already have a bunch of 1e ships.  I wonder how hard it would be to "hypothetically" convert a dial from 1e to 2e?

I've been thinking about this too. I am lucky enough to own a 3d printer and there are dial kits that can be printed and I will draft up and print any medium  bases that I might need I will probably end up with third party templates and look for a damage  deck on eBay.

I can also print models to use as proxies 

Edited by Wretch

2 hours ago, BenDay said:

the paper space ships are cool, but if time is money....

If time would really be money, everyone would be wealthy and we couldn't afford spending time playing with plastic (or paper) ships :)

Building the paper ships is actually quite fun

I like your plan. I'm not as crafty like you to only get 1 upgrade box. My keep 2e cheap plan is this:

1. No core set purchase for me. The alt-art damage decks mean I'll be able to get one from a friend.
  2. New acrylic templates are relatively cheap & very nice. Also, upgrading existing acrylic is very doable.
  3. I'll be waiting to buy 1 or 2 conversion boxes until some deals show up. Plus, I'm wondering how they will handle the first app update. French conversion box pre-orders were briefly on sale at $29 several days ago. Black friday & Christmas is when the deals will happen. Probably $30-$35 for the sales as the margins on 2e are significant.
  4. Dropping at least 2 factions, maybe three. Resistance & First Order are the easiest to drop.
  5. Converting TIE/FO into TIE/LN. Converting T70 into T65. With the right paint, no one will know!
  6. It's been said, but some dials are easily converted. Starviper dials now get blue 2-banks. I liked the dial app idea.

Man, all the effort being discussed in this thread makes my head hurt (granted, as has been pointed out, some of it could be fun, like the paper craft ships). All that time and materials and printer ink... I think I’d just rather work a few hours of overtime and buy everything from FFG. ;) 

2 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Man, all the effort being discussed in this thread makes my head hurt (granted, as has been pointed out, some of it could be fun, like the paper craft ships). All that time and materials and printer ink... I think I’d just rather work a few hours of overtime and buy everything from FFG. ;) 

You must be young.  when I started playing miniature  games, almost 30 years ago, they gave you nothing. not only were we painting the miniatures, but there were no fancy cards to build your list with, scenery was self made, and converting miniatures is what you did because they only made one or two variations on each type. 

I am sure that once I get the dial template created in some page layout software, steel some UHU glue from the kids, and find a good pair of scissors I  will be making them quite quick.

As a casual only (!!!) player I'm actually proxying lots of stuff, and now with 2e theres a lot of work to do.

Damage deck: Print out and sleeve

Dials: Print out, cover with transparent tape and put them on your old dials. Works really well and when your printer is decent.

Templates and Base cards: white fineliner (you dont need all the center lines, only in the short 1 and on the tips of the hard turns for Tallon rolls)

Pilotcards and upgrades: Print out or use squad builder

Medium Base: tricky, but possible. Length and width are known, so are the angles of the lines. You need something like Polystyrol board or PETg or any kind of plastic board, a saw and a file. 

... I then go on and making a silicon mould an do some casts with PU but this part isnt for starters.

or you just buy a 2e core set, but wheres the fun?

47 minutes ago, Shane Gooseman said:

Dials: Print out, cover with transparent tape and put them on your old dials. Works really well and when your printer is decent.

Do you flip the old dials to give the functionality of 2e? transparent tape (packing tape) sounds more durable than UHU. 

well, I would do both. UHU stick the printout to the old dials and then cover with packing tape.

This ensures the ink won't rub off over time.

Thicker clear adhesive film is another option. I picked some up from Staples in Canada when making terrain for HOTAC. (poor mans laminate)

Medium bases are available now from 3-D printer places like Shapeways (sp). I imagine Litko will have them too.

Eventually they should show up as part of the coloured base accessory packs. (4-small, 1-med, 1-large)

There will be a fair few damage decks for sale. One of our group is buying 2 cores with promo decks. He is selling the regular decks to offset the overall cost.

I don't know how much but $15 a deck is cheaper than a $45 core set. (here anyway)

I believe he has sold both decks already.

Marker on templates is easy. I recommend a silver sharpie marker. Their ink seems to be the most permanent and opaque.

Miniatures gaming in the 70's was fun. Many hours painting and basing/rebasing armies.

Dice, tape measure and beads/cubes and away you went.

Seeing a Napoleonic battle set up was awe inspiring.

Good luck with your builds.

3 hours ago, BenDay said:

You must be young.  when I started playing miniature  games, almost 30 years ago...

Young? I was painting HeroQuest and BattleMaster figures when I was 9. I went through a Warhammer Fantasy phase in High School, too. So yeah, I know what it’s like. I realize the painting/crafting part can be a lot of fun, and indeed I have painted some of my x-wing ships and Armada squadrons just ‘cuz. So I get it, I do. 

But let’s just say there is a reason why I play X-Wing and Armada but I don’t play Legion or Warhammer. ;) 

BattleMaster, **** I was buying BattleMaster just to increase the size of my chaos knights and wold rider units, GW's prices were already starting to climb, don't think I ever played the actual game even once, it was for children and I was much to old :)

3 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

BattleMaster figures

16 hours ago, BenDay said:

You must be young.  when I started playing miniature  games, almost 30 years ago, they gave you nothing. not only were we painting the miniatures, but there were no fancy cards to build your list with, scenery was self made, and converting miniatures is what you did because they only made one or two variations on each type. 

Paint?  You were lucky!  When I was growing up, we couldn't afford paint, so we'd prick our fingers and use our own blood to color every miniature red.

8 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

That’s all anyone bought the game for. That and a decent castle tower terrain bit. 

I will not forget one glorious day when my Empire army grew by several units of halberdiers and knights. Was in Walmart and they had their Battlemasters on clearance for $4.99 each. I bought ten sets.

Jim

48 minutes ago, Emrico said:

I will not forget one glorious day when my Empire army grew by several units of halberdiers and knights. Was in Walmart and they had their Battlemasters on clearance for $4.99 each. I bought ten sets.

Jim

Heh, yeah. 

Myself, I did manage to actually play the game once. It wasn’t bad. But definitely more a source for miniatures first and foremost. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, BenDay said:

hypothetically speaking, if you were to play only casual games of second edition what is the minimum new stuff you would have to purchase and still use all your ships?

- pilot cards and upgrades can be done on a printer

- ship bases (plastic part) - need the medium base (a few come with any conversion box)

- ship base (card board) - only 6 pilot skills and no actions printed on them so really if you don't mind the colour and the small ship picture being wrong you can probably get all you need from one conversion box.

- rules - pdf online

- damage deck - 2e core set is probably the easiest and you always need more dice :)

- maneuver templates  - 2e core set, or a little bit of arts and crafts on some 1e stuff.

- Dials!!! - this is the stumper for me. the best I can come up with is separate your old dials, flip the maneuver side facing down, glue the new maneuvers onto it and cut it to be a bit smaller than the top.  Ugly but might just work.

so if you were really allergic to spending money, and already had a printer, then one core set and one conversion of your favorite faction would set you up?  What are your thoughts?

Hypothetically you wouldn't have to purchase anything, except some more ink for your printer. You could arts and crafts yourself everything you would need - eventually there will be a picture of everything on the internet.

Yeah, it looks like the solution will be some sort of hybrid where I get one conversion kit and when I want to fly lots of generics I spend the day converting some 1.0 stuff.