Scum4Life

Will FFG comment on the generics issue?

Economies of scale wouldn't result in any big jump in price, and they could slightly lessen the numbers easily to make up for it.  (Most people do not own two of each Large ship, for instance.)

In exchange, they have a real Conversion Kit, where customers can actually buy -- or trade -- for the number of ships they want and need to convert.

Y'all can speculate about how upset people would be to have redundant cardboard, but it always seems to ignore that the "redundant" cardboard would actually have easily-realized value.  Under the scheme they have chosen, it does not.

What FFG has chosen to do is make it very difficult for all of their 1.0 customers to make use of all of a Conversion Kit.  Whether they've done that deliberately (in a misguided attempt to sell more CKs) or out of ignorance, I don't really know, but it is going to result in a huge amount of unused and unusable extra cardboard, and a good number of disgruntled players ... and both of those could have been avoided.

But apologists gonna apologist.

This would be perfect for me, resulting in zero misplaced expectations:

If there are 3 dials in the kit, give me one base and card for each unique pilot along with 3 bases and cards per generic. 

I don’t like that there are more dials than there are generics. I’m ok with only one of each unique. In the FAQ where they state supported means number of dials, I for some reason expected an equal number of generics being supported. If things turn out how they are appearing to be, it won’t be as I expected and I will be a bit disappointed. 

On 6/7/2018 at 4:35 PM, __underscore__ said:

Making assumptions is an entirely normal and reasonable thing for a person to do in response to incomplete information about something. Blind literalism is only really a badge of honour in weird forums from the corners on the internet.

I actually agree with the first sentence. However, we’re three months out from release, and information is still coming in. I am expecting that we’ll have complete (or very close) info on the contents and starter by release day. The only people who are actually risking money “blind” are those who buy pre-release, and that kind of purchase comes with an inherent level of risk. 

The second part I actually disagree with. I’m a technical lead for an IT firm. We develop custom programs for our clients. Part of my job is to capture requirements. We have to interpret what the customer is asking for and document it as something that is measurable and accurate. It requires a very literal approach to what is written. If there are gray areas, we can have an issue once the product is released. This can also happen if the requirements are clear, but the customer has made assumptions. Our developers are trained to code to *literal* requirements. If they do not, there WILL be rework and lost revenue.

I’ve been working in the IT industry for 23 years, with 3 different companies (19 with my current company). They have all been the same way with requirements. In my current capacity, I work on a client site. I have to be careful what I promise the customer EVERY DAY. I’m not a lawyer, but there are legal ramifications to what I tell the customer we will deliver. Whatever I promise is what will be delivered. Literally. This is not some special case or Internet forum malarkey...this is real-world, at least for the IT companies that have employed me. 

So when I look at FFG’s press releases and marketing materials, I naturally look at them as requirements. This is what they are providing for us in these products. When we get more information, I look back at what they’ve told us they are providing, and ask myself whether there is a deviation. I don’t see it. What they have said they are providing has been borne out so far by what we’ve seen in the previews and other released info.

I totally get that other people are looking at the FFG info differently. And I understand they you may have reasons for how you are interpreting the data. Just try to understand that looking at this information literally isn’t just some Internet fancy...some careers require literal translations of information, and those of us in those careers are probably going to be reading quite literally.

22 hours ago, thomedwards said:

This would be perfect for me, resulting in zero misplaced expectations:

If there are 3 dials in the kit, give me one base and card for each unique pilot along with 3 bases and cards per generic. 

I don’t like that there are more dials than there are generics. I’m ok with only one of each unique. In the FAQ where they state supported means number of dials, I for some reason expected an equal number of generics being supported. If things turn out how they are appearing to be, it won’t be as I expected and I will be a bit disappointed. 

This would have been my preference as well. It wouldn’t literally be a “full conversion” of each ship as some have asked for, but it’s better than a full conversion. Less wasted cardboard. I want one of each generic ship template and pilot card for each ship dial. I wonder if that would have moved the price? I view the current price points as pretty optimal from a marketing standpoint. Anything higher than $49.99 per kit would have generated a lot of angst, IMO (even if technically more value is added to each component).

6 minutes ago, elfholme said:

This would have been my preference as well. It wouldn’t literally be a “full conversion” of each ship as some have asked for, but it’s better than a full conversion. Less wasted cardboard. I want one of each generic ship template and pilot card for each ship dial. I wonder if that would have moved the price? I view the current price points as pretty optimal from a marketing standpoint. Anything higher than $49.99 per kit would have generated a lot of angst, IMO (even if technically more value is added to each component).

Actually that would be a full conversion and what many expected. Being able to field any combination of  the included pilots based on the dials, including all said pilots being generic. Full conversion wouldn’t be card for card that would have been silly like you said purposely putting throw away materials in the box, this isn’t wizkids they are absolutly stupid about doing that.

However in making the generics short they have forced people that want them to spend further money to get them either through official or third party markets. I think that is the reason so many people twist their shorts over this. It is, for whatever real reason, intentional forced extra cost for a problem that shouldn’t exist. You buy 4 tie fighter xpacs and get 4 guranteed generics along with 3 wasted sets of uniques that won’t do you or anyone else any good so pretty much garbage.

You buy a conversion kit and you are solid on uniques but screwed on generics , with in wave 1 at least, there is NO way to fix this without significant waste. It just could have and should have been done better. It hasn’t affected my choice to buy second edition but it did very much affect how much I spent. Hopefully they will offer some kind of wave 1 generic pack but not really counting on it.

This wasn't my idea, but I saw it elsewhere on the forum. Of course individual ship conversions is impractical, but the conversion could have been split into a small/medium conversion and a large base conversion. This would have gone a long way towards providing everyone a better upgrade path. All the extra large base stuff is what most of us are going to throw away.

10 hours ago, Dengar5 said:

This wasn't my idea, but I saw it elsewhere on the forum. Of course individual ship conversions is impractical, but the conversion could have been split into a small/medium conversion and a large base conversion. This would have gone a long way towards providing everyone a better upgrade path. All the extra large base stuff is what most of us are going to throw away.

The problem with that is we will have an even greater number of repeat cards as both types of converters will need to "stand on its own". Also driving up the price tag.