Sign in to follow this  
Lumberjack Nick

Solo

Being typical FFG? They didnt even bother to release a fleet troopers preview. Only new thing they showed was the grenade launcher trooper in the release article. It would be nice if they went a little more in depth for their previews, or maybe did a few tactical articles in between announcements that explain some list building ideas, the thought process of each unit, how to use them, etc.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:35 PM, Mep said:

Yep, FFG hates Legion. They'll be killing it off faster than SW LCG. I am sure them just hosting Worlds, all the X-Wing 2.0 press, people taking vacation time around Memorial day has nothing to do with the slow down in communication.

Why do you think they’d want to kill it off?

3 hours ago, Lumberjack Nick said:

Why do you think they’d want to kill it off?

I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic basically they have a lot going on and they didn’t get one article out they must hate it

Yeah, I was pretty sure the litany of reasons I gave of why FFG isn't putting out legion articles right now isn't because they decided to kill of Legion........

Sadly sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet, just hate.

On 6/3/2018 at 8:12 PM, Mep said:

Yeah, I was pretty sure the litany of reasons I gave of why FFG isn't putting out legion articles right now isn't because they decided to kill of Legion........

Sadly sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet, just hate.

No worries! I understand them not putting an article out every week, but not a week when a movie is released.

1 hour ago, Lumberjack Nick said:

No worries! I understand them not putting an article out every week, but not a week when a movie is released.

yeah, sadly a movie no one saw it would seem. I am sure we will see some Solo related products in the future, it just isn't that kind of movie where you see a big product push along side the movie. I am disappointed with the situation but it is what it is.

11 minutes ago, Mep said:

yeah, sadly a movie no one saw it would seem. 

It did have a bigger opening than any other movie released on memorial day for the last 4 years. Millions of people saw it. It wasn't the enormous hit that the last 3 Star Wars movies have been, but it still was seen by tons and tons of people. 

13 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Also, if you haven't seen Solo, yet, you totaly should because it is a suprisingly decent movie on its own (nothing groundbreaking, just all around entertaining) with a lot of subtle (and some not so subtle) details thrown in that tie the setting together nicely.

Yeah I went in with lower expectations from TLJ and all the controversy around Star Wars as of late but still kept an open mind. I actually left surprisingly happy. I even saw it again with some other friends. Lots of cool stuff for Star Wars games in it too.

I kind of wish they did do a Han Solo preview right after the movie came out, I'd be more hyped for the next rebel commander. 

@Admiral Deathrain ... agreed

Sometimes, a movie can just be a movie.  Entertainment.  Doesn't need to have an agenda ... you can determine your own definition of agenda in media.  

It's just a solid movie

FFG wise ... yeah, missed opportunity to reveal/release Solo that same weekend.  Not a marketing guru ... not my area ... but I feel like there was a moment they failed to capture 

6 hours ago, Dash Two said:

@Admiral Deathrain ... agreed

Sometimes, a movie can just be a movie.  Entertainment.  Doesn't need to have an agenda ... you can determine your own definition of agenda in media.  

It's just a solid movie

FFG wise ... yeah, missed opportunity to reveal/release Solo that same weekend.  Not a marketing guru ... not my area ... but I feel like there was a moment they failed to capture 

Leia and Fleet troopers ended up being released on premier day of Solo so you're right, definitely a missed opportunity to not release Han before Leia and align it with the movie.

Plus it would have been a cool asymmetrical option to the game, Veers and Leia are super similar to each other so swapping Leia for Han you'd have the cheaper Imperial officer that hangs back, but then Rebels would get a cheaper "bruiser" commander that will do a lot of fighting and even go after the Imperial officer.

But I guess they were going for the theme of Leia with her troopers seen on the Tantive IV, and Han having his Rebel commando cloak to be released with Endor commandos so it couldn't happen... :(

Hopefully we do see stuff from Solo eventually. I think there would be quite a bit of cool units to add to the game from the movie.

Unless Disney is forcing FFG's hand, they like to do their own thing. Clearly Disney didn't have high hopes for Solo and didn't do the media/merch blitz they normally do, so FFG was left alone and given no info and direction to do any solo products. Also, I don't think this is the type of game that needs a movie tie in to sell.

15 minutes ago, Mep said:

Unless Disney is forcing FFG's hand, they like to do their own thing. Clearly Disney didn't have high hopes for Solo and didn't do the media/merch blitz they normally do, so FFG was left alone and given no info and direction to do any solo products. Also, I don't think this is the type of game that needs a movie tie in to sell.

Solo was advertised all over, has countless product endorsements, and the actors were all over the public scene before it's release. Not sure what you mean by not having a media blitz. Seemed as much as any of their previous Star Wars films. The ad budget had to be huge.

6 minutes ago, Thraug said:

Solo was advertised all over, has countless product endorsements, and the actors were all over the public scene before it's release. Not sure what you mean by not having a media blitz. Seemed as much as any of their previous Star Wars films. The ad budget had to be huge.

Well the actors running around all over the place is part of their contract and they were already paid. Compared to the EP7 and 8 the merch is no where near as much and even the trailer was late in coming. I certainly didn't see any adds outside the internet or the big fast food tie ins or anything. They were smart in cutting down the ad budget, still not small, and relying on the actors going everywhere as per their pay, to advertise the movie. They certainly left FFG alone with this movie. Destiny is doing Pod racing rather than Solo tie ins. Yeah, it really is that bad.

If Disney cared, we would have a scum falcon in X-wing right now, unit tie ins in legion and the next Destiny set wouldn't be pod racing........

31 minutes ago, Mep said:

It is possible that the re-shoots following the director swap ate into the advertising budget.

Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

It is possible that the re-shoots following the director swap ate into the advertising budget.

Oh, those reshoots did more than that. They already got a lukewarm reception to the idea of young Han capping what this movie would do and then the reshoots blew up the budget. They really couldn't throw perfectly good movie at bad money already poorly spent. First star wars movie that was not just a flop but a bomb. Which is sad, because it actually was a fun movie and I wouldn't mind seeing the follow up movie they had their actors contracted to do.

6 minutes ago, Mep said:

Oh, those reshoots did more than that. They already got a lukewarm reception to the idea of young Han capping what this movie would do and then the reshoots blew up the budget. They really couldn't throw perfectly good movie at bad money already poorly spent. First star wars movie that was not just a flop but a bomb. Which is sad, because it actually was a fun movie and I wouldn't mind seeing the follow up movie they had their actors contracted to do.

Agreed, I think it was a fun movie. I also feel it could have been just as fun and interesting with characters new to Star Wars, rather than "Look! We're doing a backstory movie no one asked for!" 

So far, Rogue One is my favourite of the new movies.