mazz0

Epic 2.0

Eh, don't forget, not only do they somehow have to convert the existing Epic Ships to 2.0, they'd need to create Epic ships for Resistance and the First Order.  Not only does there not appear to yet be anything in the fluff that would be a good candidate for that size ship from either faction, that would add a long time until all five factions have Epic Ships.  So either Epic will no longer require an Epic Ship, in which case they may just make rules for 600pt games and not port over Huge Ships, OR everyone will be waiting a long time for the Epic Format to kick off with Huge Resistance and First Order releases, OR Resistance and First Order will not be playable factions in Epic.

2 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Eh, don't forget, not only do they somehow have to convert the existing Epic Ships to 2.0, they'd need to create Epic ships for Resistance and the First Order.  Not only does there not appear to yet be anything in the fluff that would be a good candidate for that size ship from either faction, that would add a long time until all five factions have Epic Ships.  So either Epic will no longer require an Epic Ship, in which case they may just make rules for 600pt games and not port over Huge Ships, OR everyone will be waiting a long time for the Epic Format to kick off with Huge Resistance and First Order releases, OR Resistance and First Order will not be playable factions in Epic.

I hope it's the last one. Whole resistance is like 400 dudes/dudettes. Not enough to crew a corvette.

5 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

There are many discussions about these very sorts of "Epic in 2.0" questions on the Epic Play sub-forum here on the FFG X-Wing boards.  I'd recommend going and reading those.

Didn’t know there was one!  I’m on it!

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Actually, you can pretty much fit the Resistance on the Falcon. talk about a fat build there..

It's not even that fat, me mostly generic crew

8 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

They don't need to have Epic ships for the FO or Resistance. It's not a requirement, they could keep it at only 3 factions.

I think most likely is that, for the time being, they would allow the imperial and rebel huges to be used by the first order and resistance respectively. Possibly create different cards for each to represent the different tech levels. 

(Which would be a back door way of adding more huge ships, since I suspect most epic players would not have a problem with mixing, say, a FO raider with imperial fighters)

Actually Resistance does have an Epic-scale ship and one that is already in the game. The Imperial Raider from battlefront 2 the Corvus I think it's called. They converted it with extensive mods and take off the TIE panel plating so it would look different enough. 

But yeah the First Order stuff just keeps getting bigger haha.

23 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Well first they need to get Resistance and 1st Order more ships. You are right to assume that Epic is not as big of a payoff but that doesn't mean there is no demand. IF there was no demand for Huge ships then the Imperial Raider would simply not exists and the CR-90 and Rebel Transport will be the only huge ships in the game. Granted it is going to take some time before they go into conversion that is why I think a scum/rebel/resistance transport is going to be the first huge ship expansion for 2.0 with cardboard for all the other 1.0 conversions so players won't have to wait for a new release and buy a 2nd raider or corvette.

But it will take some time, heck the Imperial Raider did not come out until nearly Wave 7 and by then we already had Scum as a new faction. I can even foresee Old Republic and C.I.S. factions being announced and released before we get huge ships for 2.0.

4 hours ago, Marinealver said:

I can even foresee Old Republic and C.I.S. factions being announced and released before we get huge ships for 2.0.

Let’s hope so! :D  They can then do that CR-90-like ship Bail had in Revenge if the Sith (I assume it’s a CR-lower-number).  Dunno what the CIS would have...

On 6/1/2018 at 11:19 AM, Vineheart01 said:

Huge ships in 1.0 are more for the vanity of "OMG HUGE MODEL!!" than they are effective.

Theyre all geared to behave like a support ship, but they suck massive balls at doing it. Equal points of small ships compared to a huge ship is always superior, and thats the problem.

Disagree. Rebel Transport is still the best 60ish points you can spend in epic.

Edited by Madtheos

On 6/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, heychadwick said:

The one thing I've been saying Epic needs is more actions for the big ships.  They should have crew that can allow for multiple actions per section.  Or at least pay for crew that allows you to do more actions for each section.    There are a lot of interesting actions for ships (like Jam) that never get used due to the fact that everyone is either Target Locking, Reinforcing, or replenishing shields.

Two card huge ships already have two actions - you choose one from the fore section and then one for the aft section.  One card huge ships have automated protocols where you spend one energy to perform a second action.  I think this number of actions is reasonable.  Thing is Target Lock and Reinforce with the appropriately time Recover are essential to optimise huge ship use.  This is why the unarmed Rebel Transport is a monster with Jam - it is not in competition with better actions (and has the wicked stress bomb build).  This leads me to think that the issue is the lesser used actions are just too weak an option and they should be buffed and/or there needs to be more support class huge ships.  Coordinate and Jam could, for example, work at range 3 from a huge ship.  Also it’s looking like support ships are much more useful in 2.0 - now that PTL has gone coordinate is much more powerful for example.

3 hours ago, Sasajak said:

Two card huge ships already have two actions - you choose one from the fore section and then one for the aft section.  One card huge ships have automated protocols where you spend one energy to perform a second action.  I think this number of actions is reasonable.  Thing is Target Lock and Reinforce with the appropriately time Recover are essential to optimise huge ship use.  This is why the unarmed Rebel Transport is a monster with Jam - it is not in competition with better actions (and has the wicked stress bomb build).  This leads me to think that the issue is the lesser used actions are just too weak an option and they should be buffed and/or there needs to be more support class huge ships.  Coordinate and Jam could, for example, work at range 3 from a huge ship.  Also it’s looking like support ships are much more useful in 2.0 - now that PTL has gone coordinate is much more powerful for example.

Yes, but you missed my "per section" comment.  I know each section gets one action, but I don't think it's enough.

Most of these ships have lots of different things they can do, but how often does an epic ship do anything other than TL, Reinforce, or Replenish?  They never Coordinate or Jam.  Why bother having the actions when no one does them?  The problem with the big ships is that they just die too fast and can't really do much on their own.  With more actions to them, they become more centers of what is happening on the battlefield.  As long as you don't allow Replenish and Reinforce all the time you make the epic ships more relevant with more actions.  

Fluff wise, I don't see why there is a guy sitting at the Jamming station and he's not doing anything because the guy at the weapons station is giving out Target Locks.  Small ships get one action as they are zipping around flying and also doing other stuff.   Crew on a large ship are sitting in chairs and looking at things on monitors.  Only one person at a time gets to do anything?  Even fluff wise it makes sense that you can do more actions than just one per section.  Maybe you have to spend some points on a crew or system slot to do it, but then you get to do a bonus action each round (yes, they don't get free actions).  

I think it's an easy way to make them better without making them too broken.

48 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

They never Coordinate or Jam.

The best huge ship I’ve come up against is the Rebel transport jamming away merrily (may I add better than your TIE Aggressor rap jams ?).  My experience is so much different than yours!  Duty Free, Frequency Jammer and to rub salt into the wounds a more spendy version with Toryn Farr (and Automated Protcols).  With Combat Retrofit it’s a tough ship you don’t want to shoot, having no offensive power, but has a big game impact.

I get your points (although I’m pretty convinced there isn’t a dedicated Jam Officer ?) but I don’t think more actions are the best way forward.  I’d prefer higher quality actions that offer compelling alternatives.  Why not coordinate with 2 ships?  And why not have the Duty Free/Frequency Jammer as the standard Jam action (if Epic Jam survives in its current form)?

21 hours ago, mazz0 said:

Let’s hope so! :D  They can then do that CR-90-like ship Bail had in Revenge if the Sith (I assume it’s a CR-lower-number).  Dunno what the CIS would have...

FFG could make Huge Ships multifaction just to cut costs and give all players the ability and reason to try some of the other formats outside of competitive standard.

• Rebel Transport Rebels, Scum, Resistance
  • CR-90 Rebels, Resistance, Republic
  • Imperial Raider Empire, 1stOrder
  • Gozanti Empire
  • C-ROC ScumC.I.S.

As I said all they have to do is change some cardboard, cards maybe even dials and you can make a GR-75 model a whole new ship, by new I mean not in X-wing like the GR-45 which is supposed to be a smaller transport precursor to the GR-75.

Edited by Marinealver

3 hours ago, Sbloom141 said:

A conversion kit for all the epic ships and a nice narrative campaign / rules all in one set would be the best result. 

It’d be nice to have rules for all those cardboard chits we got throughout 1e.

They should come in a nice hardback book full of lovely art!

On 6/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, Dabirdisdaword said:

Scum carrier/corvette is the dream. Less hardpoints than the other corvettes (2 instead of 3) and max 2 docked ships. 

Here's to hoping.

But the Night Caller was originally an Imperial, and later a Republic (Rebel) ship...