thorrk

Duty should be restricted before it is released

"Its a 1 off that slots into any Scorpion deck as a safety valve for if things go wrong."

Like I said, change 'any' to 'most', and we're pretty much on the same page. If you haven't already, I'd definitely recommend reading the article I mentioned, as it sums up why and how the dishonour archetype works much better than I can. It's a valid and powerful style that doesn't suit every player, but it shouldn't be discounted, and in those types of decks, Duty won't find a home.

I'm not ignoring the power of the card - I absolutely acknowledge how good the card can be multiple times in this thread alone. What I disagree with is the insinuation that if Scorpion aren't including it, they're either playing the game wrong or building the deck wrong. In my experience, that's not true.

If you're trying to say 'it's a powerful enough effect to always warrant consideration in Scorpion decks', I'm certainly down that. I'm just trying to explain that sometimes that consideration will reach the conclusion that the range of situations the card will help you in isn't enough to make up for the times you'll draw it when you really needed something that could impact the game right now. Conflict deck space for Scorpion is very, very tight, and will only get tighter when the Clan Pack comes out, and Duty won't always make the cut.

I too am whelmed by Duty. In low bid Defensive Dishonour I want to minimise the amount of dead draws I get, and this is a hyper-situational card that's dead most of the game. It's a unique and potentially game-breaking effect when you need it, but I'd rather have a card to win me the game before I end up in that situation. A deck aiming to always bid 5 will certainly find more value in it, not least because they can afford to draw cards that do nothing for most of the game, but even then I don't know if I'd consider it an auto-include.

A deck aiming to always bid 5 will certainly find more value in it, not least because they can afford to draw cards that do nothing for most of the game, but even then I don't know if I'd consider it an auto-include.

The traditional scorpion control deck always bid 5,  and it also runs situational cards like ambush, I can swim, spies at court and many others...

Duty is a great card because if you don't need it, it means you are probably winning the game anyways, it's a card that turns loss into wins even tho you might not use it every time.

Edited by thorrk

17 minutes ago, Hinomura said:

"Its a 1 off that slots into any Scorpion deck as a safety valve for if things go wrong."

Like I said, change 'any' to 'most', and we're pretty much on the same page. If you haven't already, I'd definitely recommend reading the article I mentioned, as it sums up why and how the dishonour archetype works much better than I can. It's a valid and powerful style that doesn't suit every player, but it shouldn't be discounted, and in those types of decks, Duty won't find a home.

I'm not ignoring the power of the card - I absolutely acknowledge how good the card can be multiple times in this thread alone. What I disagree with is the insinuation that if Scorpion aren't including it, they're either playing the game wrong or building the deck wrong. In my experience, that's not true.

If you're trying to say 'it's a powerful enough effect to always warrant consideration in Scorpion decks', I'm certainly down that. I'm just trying to explain that sometimes that consideration will reach the conclusion that the range of situations the card will help you in isn't enough to make up for the times you'll draw it when you really needed something that could impact the game right now. Conflict deck space for Scorpion is very, very tight, and will only get tighter when the Clan Pack comes out, and Duty won't always make the cut.

I've read Jon's article and I'd actually argue it can fit just as well in the bid one deck where you end up slow bleeding the two of you down to the 3-4 honor zone through cards like Assassination and Banzai, or undefended conflicts and just general dishonored status.  Being able to safely bid 5 on a turn when you are both low on cards to pull a massive card advantage will win you games (as mentioned in the going to time section of the article).   You are right not every deck is going to run it because play style may dictate that you take other options, but I still stand by the majority of Scorpion decks will, and that every Scorpion player should be taking a hard look at their deck when the card comes out assess whether it can be slotted in.