Sign in to follow this  

The city of archives

I suppose it remains to be seen whether the Yithian body-swap is scenario-specific, campaign-gained/lost or what... might stop taking your Yithian form to other campaigns. But it's still a cool, strange concept!

2 minutes ago, Duciris said:

And also, how many copies is it coming with?  Just one, or a set of 4 like Poisoned and other campaigned specific weaknesses?

Unless the effect is specifically limited to one investigator, there will be 4 copies. Just like the Essex County Express included 4 copies of the lost in time and space weakness you could potentially pick up.

14 minutes ago, mwmcintyre said:

Just like the Essex County Express included 4 copies of the lost in time and space weakness you could potentially pick up.

Or like A Phantom of Truth includes 4 copies of Lost Soul. In short, you'll have as many as you need for a whole group of 4 players.

1 hour ago, mwmcintyre said:

Unless the effect is specifically limited to one investigator, there will be 4 copies. Just like the Essex County Express included 4 copies of the lost in time and space weakness you could potentially pick up.

Or if it's part of the Agenda/Act decks or scenario based.:)

4 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

I suppose it remains to be seen whether the Yithian body-swap is scenario-specific, campaign-gained/lost or what... might stop taking your Yithian form to other campaigns. But it's still a cool, strange concept!

Well, a visit to Yith-ville can only be achieved by your body being possessed by a Yithian so they can learn more about alien civilisations by poking around in your sock draw or whatever, meanwhile your consciousness is transferred into the body of your possessing Yithian so you can do the same. Kind of like an intergalactic exchange student. So I would assume all players get one. Even your allies gain the Yithian trait, implying that the same has happened to them. Presumably Dr Milan will be having a field day!

5 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

Well all the scenarios are suppose to be able to be run as stand alones so unless they are planning on including the cards in all the other scenarios, this will be for just this scenario.

I am active on the boards and consume all information on the game that I can but the rest of my group does not.  They will be blown away by this scenario once we get there.

1 hour ago, Jobu said:

Well all the scenarios are suppose to be able to be run as stand alones so unless they are planning on including the cards in all the other scenarios, this will be for just this scenario.

I am active on the boards and consume all information on the game that I can but the rest of my group does not.  They will be blown away by this scenario once we get there.

It may be possible to have this extend to later scenarios (in this cycle at least) - later stand alone rules could state something like "you are not possessed by a Yithian".   This was done for Carcosa with respect to certain items that you could pick up earlier.

Edited by ricedwlit
Clarification

2 hours ago, ricedwlit said:

It may be possible to have this extend to later scenarios (in this cycle at least) - later stand alone rules could state something like "you are not possessed by a Yithian".   This was done for Carcosa with respect to certain items that you could pick up earlier.

Nice.

3 hours ago, Jobu said:

In regards to that, it's called the Afghanistan Principle.  According to Mike Selinker, creator of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.  The premise is that while deployed, soldiers do not have consistent access to available product.  As a result, all of the campaign missions, for this game and PACG, only require the core (and deluxe for Arkham) and the mission in question.  Are they better as a campaign?  Of course.  But they allow you to play what's available to you.

That's why we never see encounter cards from a previous mission reused.  It would be cool, but because they can use the deluxe to add cards well before we see them we don't need it as much.  It's a decision that has to be made well in advance of the release of the initial product, but it pays dividends.  Even with players that aren't deployed.

I'm not military, and I collect everything, but I appreciate it when companies do things like that.

http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5ljfr?How-the-Afghanistan-Principle-Affects-Game

Edited by Duciris
Added link to his original comments

You could still potentially use the Body of a Yithian card in other scenarios. It could just stick with you like a Permanent Weakness. Later scenarios don't have to reference the card directly, and their stand-alone rules will assume everyone's still human. The Depths of Yoth won't turn anyone into a Yithian halfway through, but it could still check for the "Yithian" trait or the campaign log to trigger different effects or reverse the transformation (much like how Where Doom Awaits references the Necronomicon from Miskatonic Museum).

32 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

You could still potentially use the Body of a Yithian card in other scenarios. It could just stick with you like a Permanent Weakness. Later scenarios don't have to reference the card directly, and their stand-alone rules will assume everyone's still human. The Depths of Yoth won't turn anyone into a Yithian halfway through, but it could still check for the "Yithian" trait or the campaign log to trigger different effects or reverse the transformation (much like how Where Doom Awaits references the Necronomicon from Miskatonic Museum).

Thematically, I’m fairly positive that being a Yithian won’t be an enduring state, weakness or anything else. Once you return to your own body, on your own planet, I don’t see any reason why you’d metamorphose into a fleshy cone thing. That’s not to say that you won’t have some far reaching consequences for inhabiting a Yithian body, I just doubt they’ll be physical. The Yithian body you were in is on the other side of the galaxy, not in Massachusetts. Or Mexico, for that matter.

51 minutes ago, General Zodd said:

Thematically, I’m fairly positive that being a Yithian won’t be an enduring state, weakness or anything else. Once you return to your own body, on your own planet, I don’t see any reason why you’d metamorphose into a fleshy cone thing. That’s not to say that you won’t have some far reaching consequences for inhabiting a Yithian body, I just doubt they’ll be physical. The Yithian body you were in is on the other side of the galaxy, not in Massachusetts. Or Mexico, for that matter. 

I am pretty sure Yithians in the form that we see on the art are on Earth, specifically Australia.  Just on earth 140 million years ago.  Not even the Yithians could physically travel through time. 

It was so many ages ago, it is easy to forget.

57 minutes ago, General Zodd said:

Technically the city and the yithians exist on earth jillions of years ago in a long forgotten age. They body swap across both time and space. The ruins of that city would in fact be on earth.

7 hours ago, Donel said:

Technically the city and the yithians exist on earth jillions of years ago in a long forgotten age. They body swap across both time and space. The ruins of that city would in fact be on earth.

Ah ha! I hadn’t realised that, still are there any examples in stories/lore of people spontaneously turning into Yithians after their time there?

7 hours ago, Jobu said:

I am pretty sure Yithians in the form that we see on the art are on Earth, specifically Australia.  Just on earth 140 million years ago.  Not even the Yithians could physically travel through time. 

It was so many ages ago, it is easy to forget.

My girlfriend’s an Aussie, she’ll be so proud...

15 hours ago, Donel said:

I see what you did there.  Nice.

8 hours ago, General Zodd said:

Ah ha! I hadn’t realised that, still are there any examples in stories/lore of people spontaneously turning into Yithians after their time there? 

None.  There was a video game where someones father was a Yithian (technically a Yithian possessing the body of a man when the character was conceived).  He had a bunch of weird psychic powers like getting confusing, almost useless glimpses of the future and being able to mind swap with deep ones when he wasn't hearing chanting and convenient to the plot for him to do so.

To be clear, the Great Race of Yith started out on another planet (Yith) in a form that is never described.  They then transferred their minds into the bodies that we normally think of as Yithians en mass to avoid extinction.  After checking some other sources, this may have been a billion years ago or 66 million years ago, key item it was a long time ago.  After a few hundred years of living like that they will/did (these tenses are always weird with Yithians) transfer their minds into the beetle people who will be the dominant life form on Earth after humanity is extinct.  I think the beetle people are actually one mind controlling a swarm of beetles.  There has never been a story in which the Yithians mind swap with humanity when in their original form or when they are in the beetle bodies.

Poor humanity, they aren't even worth taking over long term compared to beetle people and pyramid monsters.

EDIT: That being said, this game has Yithians showing up physically.  They shouldn't but they do.  On the other hand all things are one in Yog-Sothoth.

Edited by Jobu

7 hours ago, Jobu said:

Poor humanity, they aren't even worth taking over long term compared to beetle people and pyramid monsters.

EDIT: That being said, this game has Yithians showing up physically.  They shouldn't but they do.  On the other hand all things are one in Yog-Sothoth.

The game also has you take a portal directly to the city of the great race while in human form which I suspect could be a thing that happens in this scenario depending on the choices we make. We are, after all, breaking time as we know it. What's the difference from walking into aztec times and walking into yithian times logistically? There is potentially none.

As for the worth of humanity, I suspect it has less to do with us being worthless and more to do with they yithian respect for sentient life. I suspect both the Pyramid and beetle race were not sentient otherwise the Yithians would have left them to their own devices so they could study those devices.

Alternatively, we might deduce that the Yithians in their original form had four arm like appendages and consider that a mandatory need since the yithians have 4 tendrils and bettle people would presumably have two upper arms if they suddenly started walking on their hind legs