Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Walks

Official Twitch livestream May 30th 12pm central

7 hours ago, ichaos1985 said:

Please do not take any offence of my following words:

I think this is a lame excuse. Quit the game because there exist Decks that might be more powerful than yours? Scorpion are strong, yes, but they are not unbeatable. If you and your friends don’t like this particular deck, build others with different strategies or even different clans altogether. Try to beat a scorpion in local tournaments or a Kotei. It is very rewarding.

ichaos, no offense taken. It’s a card game man, not an international treaty. ;) 

In my neck of the woods, the majority of players of card games play casually with fun and enjoyment being paramount to the overall experience. With my group of 4 players, we gave this game a fair shake from the start. I introduced the game to them and we had a ball when we first started playing. Soon as we decided on Clans, started to compose decks, began to become competitive, we clearly experienced the ease with which a single Clan was upsetting the field... we then moved on to multiplayer games with rules we came up, and the issue was more readily apparent than it was in single (1 vs 1) player games. Thus, my group decided to drop the game because it wasn’t fun anymore. Hope that made sense. ?

To be fair, with how long development cycles are I imagine this set was already in development and maybe even complete before the current meta solidified.

Either way, I do not envy the spin job that has been thrust upon the people on the live stream today.

19 minutes ago, Suzume Tomonori said:

New preview of a Scorpion holding that removes dishonor once per turn if you are at 6 honor or less.

And a limit one per deck Scorpion event (unsplashable) that stops you from losing your last honor (one time only, obviously.)

Holding seems alright. I like the direction for these cards encouraging a lot of risky low-honor plays. Especially since lots of people tend to play that style anyways, drawing 5 each turn as long as they can afford it. Not really sure about the Scorpion event. It could be useful, but they won't really be able to rely on it as a one-of. It doesn't have an ongoing until-end-of-turn effect, does it? If you have two dishonored characters and only 1 honor, for example, you'll still lose?

I like the idea as a "This is our last stand, one more turn" card, but as a simple 'emergency honor,' I almost feel like it's not worth drawing at that point. I'm sure someone will get ruined when they think they've got their opponent on the honor loss, and end up missing the mark by one, then losing their stronghold, but again, not reliable enough and not durable enough. It'd need to guard the whole turn to impress me, I think.

5 hours ago, Suzume Tomonori said:

Online fictions will start back up to coincide with the Elemental Cycle release.

Frankly. I'd rather they had some fiction for the months between the end of a cycle and the beginning of the next. While I can see there are both pros and cons in the "Six Weeks, Six Packs" release model, one of the biggest cons, the tedious 4-ish months of absolutely nothing new going on on Rokugan, can easily be remedied by publishing regular fiction and advancing the plot. Publishing that fiction at the same time they are already giving new content creates a "Feast or Famine" situation.

4 hours ago, AradonTemplar said:

Holding seems alright. I like the direction for these cards encouraging a lot of risky low-honor plays. Especially since lots of people tend to play that style anyways, drawing 5 each turn as long as they can afford it. Not really sure about the Scorpion event. It could be useful, but they won't really be able to rely on it as a one-of. It doesn't have an ongoing until-end-of-turn effect, does it? If you have two dishonored characters and only 1 honor, for example, you'll still lose?

I like the idea as a "This is our last stand, one more turn" card, but as a simple 'emergency honor,' I almost feel like it's not worth drawing at that point. I'm sure someone will get ruined when they think they've got their opponent on the honor loss, and end up missing the mark by one, then losing their stronghold, but again, not reliable enough and not durable enough. It'd need to guard the whole turn to impress me, I think.

Images of the spoiled cards have been uploaded in another thread:

1 hour ago, Mon no Oni said:

Frankly. I'd rather they had some fiction for the months between the end of a cycle and the beginning of the next. While I can see there are both pros and cons in the "Six Weeks, Six Packs" release model, one of the biggest cons, the tedious 4-ish months of absolutely nothing new going on on Rokugan, can easily be remedied by publishing regular fiction and advancing the plot. Publishing that fiction at the same time they are already giving new content creates a "Feast or Famine" situation.

I agree that the downtime between releases would be better served with fiction every other week. Going away from the 6 in 6 after this cycle would help if they do it.

Well, we'll see how things release after Scorpion clan pack. Right now, it's set to release just a couple months after Elemental Cycle and Gen Con finishes. Presumably in that gap there's going to be some announcements regarding Worlds, Toshi Ranbo Kotei Season results, things like that. I would hope they would be planning to also announce the next product after Scorpion clan pack around then as well. Then assuming Worlds is around a couple weeks from the clan pack dropping, having updates/results from that going up...should keep us pretty well set through mid-November at least. 

Trouble with the fiction is that they're currently relying on commissioned stories. I suppose they could fall back on some more fan-created puff pieces to generate some content to post between releases. Then again, will those really garner enough interest if they're not advancing the "real" story's plots? 

2 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Well, we'll see how things release after Scorpion clan pack. Right now, it's set to release just a couple months after Elemental Cycle and Gen Con finishes. Presumably in that gap there's going to be some announcements regarding Worlds, Toshi Ranbo Kotei Season results, things like that. I would hope they would be planning to also announce the next product after Scorpion clan pack around then as well. Then assuming Worlds is around a couple weeks from the clan pack dropping, having updates/results from that going up...should keep us pretty well set through mid-November at least. 

Trouble with the fiction is that they're currently relying on commissioned stories. I suppose they could fall back on some more fan-created puff pieces to generate some content to post between releases. Then again, will those really garner enough interest if they're not advancing the "real" story's plots? 

(Not only because I like writing puff pieces but) Stories from the world that tell you about the place and don't advance the plot would still be great for players new to the setting. While we might be hungry for the next chapter in the Rokugan soap opera, there hasn't been much put out for people brand new to the setting to hook into.

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

(Not only because I like writing puff pieces but) Stories from the world that tell you about the place and don't advance the plot would still be great for players new to the setting. While we might be hungry for the next chapter in the Rokugan soap opera, there hasn't been much put out for people brand new to the setting to hook into.

I'm 100% in the same camp as you, just wasn't sure how the general player population would react/if they'd care. That's a good point about it helping newer players into the setting. I wouldn't mind conjuring up a piece or two to offer up...although I'm still relatively new to the setting myself (though that might be a good thing in that I don't have years of old5R story baggage biasing my writing ;) ).

6 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

I'm 100% in the same camp as you, just wasn't sure how the general player population would react/if they'd care. That's a good point about it helping newer players into the setting. I wouldn't mind conjuring up a piece or two to offer up...although I'm still relatively new to the setting myself (though that might be a good thing in that I don't have years of old5R story baggage biasing my writing ;) ).

I own every single RPG book ever put out for L5R and have run games in all 4 editions but this is the first time I have engaged with the card game. I have some baggage but it is mainly a love for Sparrow and Falcon clans as well as how samurai interact with peasants and ashigaru. I wonder how many new players even know that ashigaru (peasant soldiers that make up the bulk of an army) are a thing.

13 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

I own every single RPG book ever put out for L5R and have run games in all 4 editions but this is the first time I have engaged with the card game. I have some baggage but it is mainly a love for Sparrow and Falcon clans as well as how samurai interact with peasants and ashigaru. I wonder how many new players even know that ashigaru (peasant soldiers that make up the bulk of an army) are a thing.

Oh just to clarify, I don't mean that having all that knowledge from the old game(s) and sources is bad at all. I was more convincing myself how my take on Rokugan might hold value without having that kind of extensive knowledge.