Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Walks

Official Twitch livestream May 30th 12pm central

27 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

Based on the artwork already spoiled elsewhere? I am expecting this to be the Scorpion Clan Pack and the Scorpion Clan Novella.

I sincerely hope not.

A novella I could stomach (doesn't mean I'll buy it), but a Clan pack for the Clan that almost single handedly brought us the Restricted List?  I might as well punch out now and wait 9 months to buy anything.

Half to two thirds of the other factions should be out before whatever new Scorpion NPE gets unleashed on us.  Doing it this early in the game will kill play groups.

2 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

I honestly hope not as the last thing the current meta needs is Scorpion getting even more tricks.

1 minute ago, Coyote Walks said:

I sincerely hope not.

A novella I could stomach (doesn't mean I'll buy it), but a Clan pack for the Clan that almost single handedly brought us the Restricted List?  I might as well punch out now and wait 9 months to buy anything.

This decision would have been made before GenCon 2017, so well over a year before the current Meta even had the chance to develop, let alone give the Scorpion Clan the opportunity to dominate as hard as they have been. This would be before FFG even knew how badly the Unicorn Clan would be. Likely, this will be setting up the movement towards the Scorpion Clan Coup, probably discovering the prophecy which leads to it.

15 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

Half to two thirds of the other factions should be out before whatever new Scorpion NPE gets unleashed on us.  Doing it this early in the game will kill play groups.

Funny you say this - my group quit playing the game (and buying any further product for L5R) due to the Scorpion deck, and so did the only LGS that used (and I do mean used) to sell L5R LCG. What a coincidence. 

Edited by LordBlunt

2 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

Likely, this will be setting up the movement towards the Scorpion Clan Coup, probably discovering the prophecy which leads to it.

You are giving FFG too much credit here. (but if I’m wrong, I’ll eat my words) 

2 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

You are giving FFG too much credit here. (but if I’m wrong, I’ll eat my words) 

We won't know until December at the earliest. Phoenix Clan Novella is hitting the streets on May 31st, which puts the next one on November 30th.

Edited by sndwurks

Keep in mind the design team has already said the elemental cycle was designed with fixing unicorn in mind, based on core environment data. So there's no reason additional product scheduled after this cycle wouldn't also take that into account. I don't really think they'd release a scorpion clan pack right now. If they did, I suspect it'd be something focusing a different aspect of the clan, like shinobi. I would also hope strong counters are included for the other clans, which are sorely needed. 

Guess we'll be finding out one way or the other in a matter of hours though. 

16 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Keep in mind the design team has already said the elemental cycle was designed with fixing unicorn in mind, based on core environment data. So there's no reason additional product scheduled after this cycle wouldn't also take that into account.

The other governing factor is actually having the novella written.  The only way I could see them releasing Scorpion next is if that's all they have for a finished story.

That said, I am also on the No-More-Scorpion-Tricks train.  Although, I have been on that train since Spider was removed as a faction.  :rolleyes:  I see you there, @sndwurks.

Edited by Duciris

1 hour ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Keep in mind the design team has already said the elemental cycle was designed with fixing unicorn in mind, based on core environment data. So there's no reason additional product scheduled after this cycle wouldn't also take that into account. I don't really think they'd release a scorpion clan pack right now. If they did, I suspect it'd be something focusing a different aspect of the clan, like shinobi. I would also hope strong counters are included for the other clans, which are sorely needed. 

Guess we'll be finding out one way or the other in a matter of hours though. 

Yeah then they spoiled "Dispatch" LOL
Not sure I believe this cycle will fix Unicorn at all.

They have to basically replace 1/2 of Unicorn's dynasty characters and give them a Kick-A stronghold...

Edited by caseycheesecake

11 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

Funny you say this - my group quit playing the game (and buying any further product for L5R) due to the Scorpion deck, and so did the only LGS that used (and I do mean used) to sell L5R LCG. What a coincidence. 

Please do not take any offence of my following words:

I think this is a lame excuse. Quit the game because there exist Decks that might be more powerful than yours? Scorpion are strong, yes, but they are not unbeatable. If you and your friends don’t like this particular deck, build others with different strategies or even different clans altogether. Try to beat a scorpion in local tournaments or a Kotei. It is very rewarding.

Why the store did that, I cannot even imagine. Unless you have been the only customers for the game. Which would be sad. 

Edited by ichaos1985

I mean, they also spoiled a new dragon art in the same post on facebook as they did with that art above, and I might point out that the art above also features a phoenix dude (possibly shiba) as well as the scorpion dude (possibly bayushi). I honestly believe that the new arts spoiled were sneaky ways of showing off new stuff from the elemental cycle.

I think Dragon needs its own pack, at the moment, about as much as Scorpion needs it.  Then Crab after them.  Well, and probably Phoenix I guess, although I'm guessing they probably aren't getting the next Clan pack.

That leaves Lion, Crane, and Unicorn.  Man I hope it's Unicorn.  My buddy has a pretty decent pony deck that bounces around the battlefields, if they get a few more cards he'd be able to trounce me consistently.

I think a Scorpion pack would be perfect. The neutrals and non-Phoenix in the Phoenix pack were very good counters to Phoenix. With the right non-Scorpion cards it could work as an effective balancing mechanism. 

Or or give me Hitomi. Pleeeeeeease!