player1541811

Does Genesys Include Team Bonuses?

Although it was the custom dice that got all the attention, Warhammer FRPG had a lot of great subsystems that made it mechanically interesting. I know Genesys has ditched most of those (e.g. conservative/aggressive stances), but I was wondering if they kept the feature where players would define the type of party they were playing and the team would essentially have its own sheet with a shared ability and resources. Did Genesys retain that in any way? 

Yeah, but there was more to it than that. The different party types had variables that balanced them out in various ways, like stress tracks. It was mechanically interesting, which is generally inimical to trivial simplicity. 

No it’s not a part of the SW/Genesys system, but adding it to Genesys really would be a simple task. The group type could grant a specific ability to everyone, a couple of career skills, and the party tension system could be built around Threats (or Failures) rolled by the players, with the consequence being a temporary reduction in Strain Thresholds for everyone.

Realms has Back-to-Back, which provides 1 boost to an engaged ally. This increases to 2 boosts for both PCs if the ally also has the talent. That could serve as a good starting point for creating homebrew Improved and Supreme versions that provide team-wide bonuses.

I was thinking something like:

Vampire Hunters

Knowledge Forbidden, Vigilance and Streetwise become career skills for all members of the party.

The Party Tension Threshold is 5.

Undead Bane: Once per encounter the party may choose to spend a Story Point to remove as many Undead Minions from the current encounter as there are party members.

Edited by Richardbuxton

23 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

I was thinking something like:

Vampire Hunters

Knowledge Forbidden, Vigilance and Streetwise become career skills for all members of the party.

The Party Tention Threshold is 5.

Undead Bane: Once per encounter the party may choose to spend a Story Point to remove as many Undead Minions from the current encounter as there are party members.

More. Make more.

Pirate Crew

Melee (light), Deception and Sail (or equivalent) become career skills for the members of the party.

The Party Tension Threshold is 4.

Arrr, they be ours now: Once per session the party may spend a Story Point to increase the top speed of their ship by 2 for a number of rounds equal to the ranks in Sail of the Captain.

Bandits

Coercion, Cool and Survival become career skills for the members of the party.

The Party Tension Threshold is 4.

Give us all ya gold: Once per session during a social encounter the party may spend a Story Point to inflict Strain on one enemy in the encounter. The amount of strain inflicted is equal to the highest rank in coercion of the party, plus one for every other party member in the encounter. If this causes the target to exceed their Strain Threshold then the target gives in to any single request the party has made, so long as it wouldn’t cause the individual any harm. (Eg if the highest Coercion rank is 3 and there are 4 Party members then 6 Strain is inflicted) This act should have some long term repercussions as coercing people to give up their possessions tends to draw the interest of the local law enforcement.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Envoys 

Whilst this is the profession of your party the Knowledge (Geography), Negotiation, and Vigilance skills become career skills for the members of the party.

The Party Tension Threshold is 7. If the party exceeds their Party Tension Threshold then reduce all members Strain Thresholds by two and add two  automatic Threat to any social checks made, until the end of the session.

Everybody has a price: Once per session, when the party tension has not exceeded their threshold, the party may spend a Story Point to identify the Desire of an NPC. They may also choose to suffer 3 Party Tention to reveal a previously undocumented item or document in their possession that could satisfy that NPC’s desire.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Mercenaries

Whilst this is the profession of your party the Leadership, Melee (Heavy) and Resilience become career skills whilst this is the party profession.

The Party Tension Threshold is 6. If the party exceeds their Party Tension Threshold then reduce all party members Wound Thresholds by 2, also Upgrade the Difficulty of any Discipline check by one, until the end of the session.

To Arms: Once per session, when the Party have not exceeded their Party Tention, they may spend a Story Point to bring a group of allied minions into the current encounter. The number of minions in the group is equal to the highest Leadership of the party members in the encounter, and they must comprise of locals to the area with light arms and armour. The GM has final say over exactly what the minions are.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Explorers

Whilst this is the profession of your party the Knowledge (Adventuring), Knowledge (Geography), Ride and Survival are career skills for all members of the party.

The Party Tension Threshold is 5. If the group exceeds their PT Threshold then reduce everyone’s Strain Threshold by 2 and upgrade the difficulty of any check to navigate or find a location by one until the end of the session.

Thats the Way: Once per session, when the party have not exceeded their Party Tention, the party may spend a Story Point to automatically pass a check to navigate to an intended destination as if they had rolled a single Success.

Edited by Richardbuxton

I like the idea of "group identity via talents" though, i would caution putting career skills into it. It greatly devalues the careers that already get those skills. Instead if the setting/story/game would benefit from everyone having those skills either handle it narratively and via not calling for checks with those skills as often, or make the talent add boost dice and/or additional boost dice on combined/assistance checks. I do really like the 1/session group abilities idea, though it might be challenging to make them viable without "this beats/skips the encounter". Of course all of that is subject to group taste and design of such a system. I'd go with something like this, basing it heavily off of the "Back to Back" talent for wording and intent, because that talent is awesome in both it's mechanics, and narrative flavor.

Note - going with the pirate crew idea, not because i disliked @Richardbuxton take on it, but because i love pirates ?. Also please excuse the wordage in relation to specific mechanics, i'm not near a book atm.

Pirate Crew - Tier 1 (or higher, not really sure would need testing) -  

Group Benefit - When using Assistance/Skill assistance, in addition to the normal affects may add an additional boost die (max of 2) to the all skills relating to running/operating the "Pirate Ship" and/or managing the Crew.

Personal Benefit - When on your "Pirate Ship", gain a boost die on Athletics, Perception, Vigilance, and Gunnery.

Pirate Crew, Improved - Tier = Pirate Crew+1, Requires "Pirate Crew" - 

Group Benefit - In addition to the benefits of "Pirate Crew", remove 1 setback die.

Personal Benefit - In addition to the benefits of "Pirate Crew", add 1 advantage.

Pirate Crew, Supreme -  Tier = Pirate Crew, Improved+1, Requires "Pirate Crew" and "Pirate Crew, Improved"- 

Group Benefit - In addition to the benefits of "Pirate Crew", 1/session you may spend a number of story points up to the number of Crew members to upgrade the check the same number of times. 

Personal Benefit - When within short range of at least 1 other member of your pirate crew you may choose to roll vigilance for initiative instead of cool.

Pirate Captain, Tier = Pirate Crew+1, non-ranked, requires "Pirate Crew"

1/encounter, as a maneuver, you may give another member of the pirate crew an immediate Action.

Notes - 

Used the same mechanical and nomenclature base as Scathing Tirade and Inspiring Rhetoric as a base because i like the design of those talents, as well as the off-shoot for pirate captain akin to bulwark for parry in nomenclature and design.

For the 1/session with Pirate Crew, Supreme it would need serious testing, might be too strong, might cost too much but i wanted a big impactful ability here.

For something like this i also really wanted both personal and group benefits, so it doesn't feel like a XP waste if you are separated from the group.

Though i gave them rough Tiers, as a GM, i would give them out as milestones with no XP cost. Baking it into the game as appropriate thematically and mechanically.

As always, very very much a rough draft example. Would need vigorous play-testing and iteration to be "Table Ready"

I don't know the WFRP system either but I don't like the idea of group based career skills. Why would it be easier (less XP) to raise ranks in a skill while I am with the group than when I'm not? Maybe I'm missing a few crucial things from the original system.

I like the idea of group talents, purchased together and having a threshold of how many members of the group have to be present for the talent to work. Or maybe scaling in some way with the number of present members.

Those ideas I threw together are a blend of the Party cards from WFRP 3.0 and the Mentor system from FFG Star Wars. The idea of the mash up is to provide both a benefit and a flaw to working together as a group.

The Party tension (wtf! I just realised autocorrect was changing this all the way through ?) system from WFRP was about providing a mechanic to track conflict between the group. As tension rises they stop working well together, brooding over their quibbles rather than getting the job done.

The skill idea is that when you all have a similar goal you tend to do the tasks associated as a group, learning from each other to improve. When you stop doing that thing all the time then there’s less opportunity to learn, hence the skill is no longer a career skill

The ability is a mimic of a WFRP system, although these are probably a bit more powerful.