On 5/28/2018 at 2:45 PM, theclash24 said:

Any one help here? Void points? I'm not seeing what they do in this edition anyone have a page number 

They allow +1 ring die rolled and +1d kept, or triggering any of a number of talents. (beginner game: rulebook, p 11)

On 5/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, Tesoe said:

I'm guessing they probably work like story points in Genesys. Activating abilities and maybe upgrading dice.

A wrong guess. Much more constrained

Edited by AK_Aramis

13 minutes ago, AK_Aramis said:

I'm guessing they probably work like story points in Genesys. Activating abilities and maybe upgrading dice.

A wrong guess. Much more constrained

Why? This is exactly what Void Points do: activate abilities and improve the roll. It is just so that some of the Story Point options were folded into Opportunities and thus are not granted when you improve your roll with a Void Point.

23 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

Why? This is exactly what Void Points do: activate abilities and improve the roll. It is just so that some of the Story Point options were folded into Opportunities and thus are not granted when you improve your roll with a Void Point.

A subset is not an equivalent. 

The story points are a group asset, void is individual.

Story points are regained by the opposite side's pool being used. Void points are recovered by in character actions.

Story points are reset every session; void points reset by various actions of the character.

Edited by AK_Aramis

So yeah, they do work like story points in Genesys and force points in Star Wars. They're spent to activate abilities, and make rolls better. How you get them and the details of how the improve rolls is a little different, but it's the same kind of mechic. It's good to see they are tailoring it for the setting instead of using the previous version stock 

17 hours ago, Tesoe said:

So yeah, they do work like story points in Genesys and force points in Star Wars. They're spent to activate abilities, and make rolls better. How you get them and the details of how the improve rolls is a little different, but it's the same kind of mechic. It's good to see they are tailoring it for the setting instead of using the previous version stock 

A major part of using them is getting them back.

Another major part is that the GM has no void points,,, So no, they really do NOT work like Story Points.

They do similar things, but having them to do those things is QUITE different, and you cannot rely upon having them, unlike in SW/Genesys. 

Further, the GM doesn't get to hose you with them, either. They only provide ring dice when used for dice (and an extra kept die)  (SW upgrades a die, rather than adding one), don't include the narrative declaration aspect that SW allows (That's done with Opportunity).

If you think that's "THe same" ... have fun with that delusion.

@AK_Aramis So I see you've stooped  misquoting and insulting me. I guess that throws any chance of an intelligent discourse out the window.

Sounds like you're splitting hairs to me though. They're both point based mechincs that let players improve rolls and activate abilities. They're certainly not the identical, and I never expected them to be, but they're definitely both very similar and fill the same role in the mechanics.