bulletbutter

Card Library and Discard/Trash Question

Posted (edited)

I put all the star cards for settlement and wasteland into their own separate piles. The rules then say to put the remaining encounter cards and quest cards in numerical order to form the "Card Library". I also remember reading things about the vault cards not being used unless called for. So my question is, I put all cards 1-159 into a single pile to form the library? Or do I keep them separated into their matching backs? It seems odd to have a deck of quest cards, a different deck of settlement cards, another deck of wasteland cards and another for both vaults....all why supposedly trying to have them in numerical order. Also, when you get to the part where your supposed to draw a number of cards (with matching backs) as the number of players....it just doesn't feel right to be sifting through 5+ quest cards to find that 1 settlement card, sift through 2-8 more to find a second, etc. Is the library supposed to be set up like that? Does it even matter?

The first game I played the other night a player was given the chance to complete a quest that wasn't even staged...felt kinda broken and made me feel like I was doing something wrong. 

Additionally, if a quest card is completed/done/used etc and it does not specifically say "Trash" am I to assume that it creates a discard pile?

Edited by bulletbutter

Posted (edited)

Not sure I understand what you mean but if you're drawing cards from the Library, you're doing it wrong. During the game you will be told, by quest reward effects, to pull certain cards, by number, FROM the library (which is way easier when they are sorted) and shuffle them with the top (number of players+1) cards of their respective drawpile (based on the card back). The drawpiles do, at the start, only consist of the piles of star-marked starting cards.

Also: No. Only trashing a card places it in a discard pile. Some cards will cycle back and come up again after being resolved but the "Trashable" cards are one-shot quests that are first come, first serve.

Edited by Fnoffen
for rephrasing

All in one big deck, in numerical order.  You only take cards out of this deck when told to find a specific card, by number, so its back doesn't matter when you're getting it out (only when you're subsequently adding it to the active decks).

I actuallt thought about sleeving all the cards and then draw, on the sleeves, black censor-boxes over every single result part on all the cards without reading any of them while doing so. That way it would be more of a mystery. Until I memorize all the rewards at least.