clanofwolves

CROC on sale yet again, tough ship to sell.

On the one hand, the ship looks awesome and is IMO the most fun Huge to fly in Epic.

On the other hand, no serious power cards.  (Although I did go 5-1 at a Regional using Jabba.)

Guess which one most X-Wing players care about?

Even if you ignore 2.0's having been announced (slowing all 1.0 sales), if the CR-90 were released now, it also wouldn't sell very well, because C-3PO just isn't strong enough any longer.

Yet another benefit of 2.0 is not having to buy epic ships for pilot cards and upgrades. A major reason why I fly rebels the least is because many of the best astromechs and X-wing pilots were included with the Rebel transport, which I refused to purchase.

These CROCs are going to sit around till they get thrown out. Sure epic is fun, but many of us just never play with that format.

I just couldn't care less about the ship. The Rebel Transport and the Tantive are iconic ships (even if the transport is a bit boring), and the Raider is an unfortunate but necessary compromise to get the Star Destroyer on the table within a reasonable scale. The C-ROC is maybe memorable to people who watched Rebels (which I can't confirm because that's not me), but it just kinda looks like a brown mash-up between the two Rebel ships.

I know there really isn't anything iconic for Scum to use on the same level as the Tantive or a Star Destroyer, but I think that's part of the problem.

I personally still want the Star Jewel. It's a pretty obscure ship and not currently in canon (although its model of ship is still canon), but it at least has something thematically important about it (Jabba's personal ship) and somewhat resembles his barge, which is iconic.

Edited by Jokubas

Yeah, it looks really cool and I wish I'd had the opportunity to play the campaign, but really I used some scyk stuff in there once or twice on a lark. It's never really been all that relevant. But then again, not being able to hunt down Sunny Bounder at a System Open did cause me some pain...

If 2.0 wasn't looming on the horizon, I'd be tempted by this.  I'd love to have a spare C-ROC to use for conversions.  Namely, I'd love to remove those awesome "engine-turbines" and play around with adding them to some of my other ships (like a Burnout SLAM + Engine Upgrade YV-666, or to the Decimator so it's engine's didn't look so dinky, or to the GR75, especially if it had Engine Boosters).

As for decent cards, Pulsed Ray Shield has some uses, even in competitive play, though being in Guns for Hire makes it far less tempting.
For Epic, both Quick Release Cargo Locks and Supercharged Power Cells are very useful cards.

But with 2.0 on the Horizon and Epic not an immediately supported format, I can't imagine anyone would be excited to pick up an Epic ship at the moment.  Which is a gosh darn shame, because even as a 'competitive player,' I think Epic is the best format and the most fun format for actually enjoying the game of X-Wing.

14 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I think Epic is the best format and the most fun format for actually enjoying the game of X-Wing.

I haven't gotten to play any epic matches, but the first two Rebel campaigns were the most fun I've ever had in X-wing, so I agree wholeheartedly!

20 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

If 2.0 wasn't looming on the horizon, I'd be tempted by this.  I'd love to have a spare C-ROC to use for conversions.  Namely, I'd love to remove those awesome "engine-turbines" and play around with adding them to some of my other ships (like a Burnout SLAM + Engine Upgrade YV-666, or to the Decimator so it's engine's didn't look so dinky, or to the GR75, especially if it had Engine Boosters).

As for decent cards, Pulsed Ray Shield has some uses, even in competitive play, though being in Guns for Hire makes it far less tempting.
For Epic, both Quick Release Cargo Locks and Supercharged Power Cells are very useful cards.

But with 2.0 on the Horizon and Epic not an immediately supported format, I can't imagine anyone would be excited to pick up an Epic ship at the moment.  Which is a gosh darn shame, because even as a 'competitive player,' I think Epic is the best format and the most fun format for actually enjoying the game of X-Wing.

I do wonder if they won't just release a single Epic conversion pack with one each of all the cardboard.
At which point picking up a ship like this for fourty-ish bucks would be a real deal.

1 hour ago, Jokubas said:

I know there really isn't anything iconic for Scum to use on the same level as the Tantive or a Star Destroyer, but I think that's part of the problem.

Indeed, they should have left epic with just two factions with both sides able to field up to a 100 points of scum ships. Since that is no longer an option they should change the way the rules work in epic. Allowing scum to field the GR-75 and the Gozanti, both of which have been used by scum factions in the OT and in the Clone Wars series. Scum would also be better off, and probably more thematic, if they could field large based ships that could count as 1 epic point if it's cost were over X amount of points. 

Then they could concentrate on making the Imperial and Rebel epic ships I want.?

47 minutes ago, balindamood said:

Sunny Bounder is excellent.

/Understatement.

Sunny Bounder is one of the most fun ships to fly in the entire game. I'm going to be very sad if she doesn't survive the transition into 2.0. 

I have the C-ROC, and I like a lot of things about the C-ROC (Sunny and the other Scyk pilots, the Scyk toys like Pulsed Ray Shields and the Light Scyk title, Jabba and Vizago, awesome cards for Epic including Super Charged Power Cells and Thug Droids, and the ship itself isn't terrible and it's various titles make it very customizable), but sadly even I must admit it's far from a must-have ship. In Epic play you can throw the Heavy Laser Turret on there and make it a decent brawler, or load it up as a support ship, but either way it's competing directly with the YV-666, which usually can do the exact same things for less points. And all the other things that make it a fun expansion are going to be obsolete in a few months when 2.0 drops. So unfortunately, if anyone is on the fence I'd probably suggest holding off until the price drops further, or at least until we learn more about Epic in second edition. 

Usually I go by the rule of cool when purchasing ships and unfortunately for me, the C-ROC just looks awful. I really don't like how they have used the same body and components from the gozonti. They could have had a more unique looking ship but no. :(

If anyone is interested, the C-Roc is on sale on amazon for  49 US dollars as of 5/29/18. I picked mine up from Amazon, and thats where I do most of my X-wing shopping.

11 hours ago, william1134 said:

Usually I go by the rule of cool when purchasing ships and unfortunately for me, the C-ROC just looks awful. I really don't like how they have used the same body and components from the gozonti. They could have had a more unique looking ship but no. :(

In the lore it's a variation of the same ship... so, yeah, it should look like it used the same components... Just saying, anyway.

I've already got my C-ROC, I've only used it twice, the least of any of the huge ships. It didn't sync with my play style but it'll make a good shelf piece until 2.0 upgrades appear for epic.... in a year or two.

17 hours ago, balindamood said:

Sunny Bounder is excellent.

The CROC is basically the Sunny Bounder expansion pack for $70, with an Epic ship thrown in.

The other named Scyk pilots aren't bad, but Sunny was the clear star.

The other big misfire was the Light Scyk title. Forcing you to both give up the mod slot and take all hull damage faceup was just too much of a cost for 2 points of cost savings and two more green banks. It was a clear loser to the Heavy title.

30 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

The CROC is basically the Sunny Bounder expansion pack for $70, with an Epic ship thrown in.

The other named Scyk pilots aren't bad, but Sunny was the clear star.

The other big misfire was the Light Scyk title. Forcing you to both give up the mod slot and take all hull damage faceup was just too much of a cost for 2 points of cost savings and two more green banks. It was a clear loser to the Heavy title.

Got to admit, I was a little annoyed by Sunny Bounder (And Inaldra, to an extent) - we finally had some cool scyk tech and it was very nearly balanced... and then they throw both generics under the bus by releasing same-price-or-even-cheaper uniques with cool abilities that straight up negate the whole point.

Kind of wish they'd had the X-wing treatment, with a -1pt to EPT upgrades - this would have fixed the pricing issue on TPVs, and helped Serissu have relevance despite the mediocre ability. The new pilots, of course, could still be priced reasonably as part of the expansion.

Still, I guess we'll have to see how they work out in the new edition... but I'm not gonna lie, they really did miss the mark on the Scyk the first time through.

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

In the lore it's a variation of the same ship... so, yeah, it should look like it used the same components... Just saying, anyway.

I've already got my C-ROC, I've only used it twice, the least of any of the huge ships. It didn't sync with my play style but it'll make a good shelf piece until 2.0 upgrades appear for epic.... in a year or two.

Fair enough.. I know nothing about the lore of this ship.  Still looks horrible and uninspired though.