Sign in to follow this  
That One Guy

Return of the Pilots: Will We Ever Get Some of Our Favorites Back?

Even before the unboxings and leaks, there was heavy discussion surrounding what pilots would get the vibro-axe. And while it makes perfect sense for some of those more wordy or niche pilots like Chaser or Wampa to be eliminated to thin the field, it seems many great pilots like Backstabber, Hobbie, Wes, and others won't be making it back... at least, in the currently revealed Core Set. So, what are some of your favorite pilots who didn't seem to make the cut? How likely do you think it is that they will return in other merch, like the X-Wing or TIE expansion packs?

They did say that generally speaking there are more pilots for each ship than in first edition, but that’s not a guarantee that certain pilots will survive the transition. 

Also, not every pilot will be in the conversion kits. Some pilots will be released later in the 2.0 ship expansion packs / mini-conversion kits for each wave. 

28 minutes ago, Samwise Gamgee said:

You got to believe they’re going to cash in on a blue squadron repaint along with some Scarif pilots. There’s probably some other ways they are going to introduce some pilot favorites besides the conversion packs. I’m still holding out for Zev Senesca. 

latest?cb=20130219053912

He needs to have an ability like Stridan: All friendly ships at range 0-3 may treat this ship as being at range 0-1.

"I've found them. Repeat. I've found them"

The pilot I hope comes back is Backdraft. Also, I think Blackout in the silencer would be awesome in 2.0 now without all the power creep and with adv sensors still in the game he can hide behind rocks still.

6 hours ago, Samwise Gamgee said:

You got to believe they’re going to cash in on a blue squadron repaint along with some Scarif pilots. There’s probably some other ways they are going to introduce some pilot favorites besides the conversion packs. I’m still holding out for Zev Senesca. 

latest?cb=20130219053912

You sir are my hero.  I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Yeah, I'm really hoping Wes and Hobbie make it back in some day.

I suppose, begrudgingly, I can see where FFG are coming from. Technically, we never actually see Wes and Hobbie fly an X-Wing on screen and now that the X-Wing books are no longer canon (boo!) Wes doesn't really exist outside of ESB, and Hobbie's little more than another rookie in Rebels. But they're two of my favourite pilots thanks to their Legends incarnations (and Wes' cracking ability in 1e) and I'm really bummed that we're missing out on them.

I've said elsewhere, but I'm hoping at the very least we get a Wes Janson gunner card who can fit in the tail seat of an ARC-170. They're hurting for interesting people to put on that ship, and this would at least allow Wes to fulfil the same role he does in ESB.

Also, I'm not much of an Imperial but there's something that really doesn't sit right with me about Iden Versio and Valen Rudor stealing Dark Curse and Backstabber's art respectively. It feels lazy on FFG's part. Given that Mauler Mithel also doesn't look to be returning (the TIE roster is now full of Inferno Squad pilot, bleh), it's a real shame that Darth Vader's two wingmen aren't in the game. Just because they haven't been named yet in canon.

There's a slim chance that Wes and Hobbie might return with the Epic conversions, if and when that ever happens. I guess Mauler, Backstabber and Dark Curse could also come back via the Assault Carrier conversion. 

So I'm going to hold out hope for now, but I'm definitely going to be expressing my disappointment at every possible opportunity. 

2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Also, I'm not much of an Imperial but there's something that really doesn't sit right with me about Iden Versio and Valen Rudor stealing Dark Curse and Backstabber's art respectively. It feels lazy on FFG's part. Given that Mauler Mithel also doesn't look to be returning (the TIE roster is now full of Inferno Squad pilot, bleh), it's a real shame that Darth Vader's two wingmen aren't in the game. Just because they haven't been named yet in canon.

Yeah, this same thing actually really rankles me, those were some of my favorite pilots. Plus I hate that stupid EA game.

2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

I suppose, begrudgingly, I can see where FFG are coming from. Technically, we never actually see Wes and Hobbie fly an X-Wing on screen and now that the X-Wing books are no longer canon (boo!) Wes doesn't really exist outside of ESB, and Hobbie's little more than another rookie in Rebels. But they're two of my favourite pilots thanks to their Legends incarnations (and Wes' cracking ability in 1e) and I'm really bummed that we're missing out on them.

I've said elsewhere, but I'm hoping at the very least we get a Wes Janson gunner card who can fit in the tail seat of an ARC-170. They're hurting for interesting people to put on that ship, and this would at least allow Wes to fulfil the same role he does in ESB.

There's a slim chance that Wes and Hobbie might return with the Epic conversions, if and when that ever happens. I guess Mauler, Backstabber and Dark Curse could also come back via the Assault Carrier conversion. 

So I'm going to hold out hope for now, but I'm definitely going to be expressing my disappointment at every possible opportunity. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this. They can’t end the „Unnamed Aces“ phenomenon anyway, so why get rid of Backstabber and Mauler then. While Howlrunner can stay?

And on the Rebel end, Wes and Hobbie are named, and even if you don’t see their faces on screen, they should remain in the Game

Edited by ForceM

22 minutes ago, ForceM said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. They can’t end the „Unnamed Aces“ phenomenon anyway, so why get rid of Backstabber and Mauler then. While Howlrunner can stay?

And on the Rebel end, Wes and Hobbie are named, and even if you don’t see their faces on screen, they should remain in the Game

Most rebel aces are named. They just picked the most well recognizable/well known ones.

47 minutes ago, ForceM said:

Hmm, I guess it could be to do with them not having full names.

Howlrunner does, technically. She's called Civé Rashon. I suppose she should really be called "Howlrunner" Rashon by the convention FFG seem to have adopted. They've updated "Scourge" Skutu to reflect this (he was just "Scourge" in 1e). "Night Beast" is another call sign still in the game, but he also had a name (Dodson Makraven). 

But still, we know that Vader's wingmen at Yavin weren't Inferno squad pilots or whatever, because they both die in that trench. So if nothing else has named them yet, why not keep Mauler and Backstabber? I like the option of a themed list with Vader, Mauler and Backstabber. Now we're just going to be stuck with generic Black Squadron pilots, and it's not the same. 

You do actually see Hobbie and Wes' faces on screen. Here and here respectively. Like I said, technically you never seem them in X-Wings but I really don't think that should stop them. After all, you never see anyone in the cockpit of a B-Wing on screen. 

I'm just pissed that we've been saddled with Thane Kyrell. I don't care how much page time he got in a canon book, or if he never flew the ARC-170. He's replaced Hobbie as Biggs' fellow mid Initiative pilot and I'm not cool with that. 

EDIT: Just realised Mauler is in the spread for the Imperial wave 1 expansions reveal, so he's obviously still in.

Also means something is not quite adding up. We know Howlrunner is in the expansion, because the article explicitly mentions her as being one of its pilots. Mauler is in the spread, and Del Meeko and Gideon Hask are listed on the threat cards. We also know that Scourge exists, because he's in the general spread at the top. Five named pilot cards seems like an odd amount for the TIE Fighter expansion, as we know there are three generics. The X-Wing expansion has four named pilots - double the amount apparently in the core set - and the core set has three named TIE pilots. So all signs point to there being a sixth pilot in the TIE/ln expansion. Have we seen that anywhere? Could it be Backstabber with new art, or is it likely to be someone brand new? Taking Wampa, Youngster, Chaser or even Dark Curse over Backstabber would seem like an odd choice to me.

Edited by GuacCousteau

I'm hoping for revised versions of Ibtisam and Tycho, since they were my favorites back when I started with Wave III. Wes and Hobbie for sure, Zev would be a nice option... I haven't tried either of the new Starviper pilots and I hope they come back! Their abilities seemed fun and I'd love utilizing them in the new game.

3 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Howlrunner does, technically. She's called Civé Rashon. I suppose she should really be called "Howlrunner" Rashon by the convention FFG seem to have adopted. They've updated "Scourge" Skutu to reflect this (he was just "Scourge" in 1e). "Night Beast" is another call sign still in the game, but he also had a name (Dodson Makraven). 

But still, we know that Vader's wingmen at Yavin weren't Inferno squad pilots or whatever, because they both die in that trench. So if nothing else has named them yet, why not keep Mauler and Backstabber? I like the option of a themed list with Vader, Mauler and Backstabber. Now we're just going to be stuck with generic Black Squadron pilots, and it's not the same. 

You do actually see Hobbie and Wes' faces on screen. Here and here respectively. Like I said, technically you never seem them in X-Wings but I really don't think that should stop them. After all, you never see anyone in the cockpit of a B-Wing on screen. 

I'm just pissed that we've been saddled with Thane Kyrell. I don't care how much page time he got in a canon book, or if he never flew the ARC-170. He's replaced Hobbie as Biggs' fellow mid Initiative pilot and I'm not cool with that. 

EDIT: Just realised Mauler is in the spread for the Imperial wave 1 expansions reveal, so he's obviously still in.

Also means something is not quite adding up. We know Howlrunner is in the expansion, because the article explicitly mentions her as being one of its pilots. Mauler is in the spread, and Del Meeko and Gideon Hask are listed on the threat cards. We also know that Scourge exists, because he's in the general spread at the top. Five named pilot cards seems like an odd amount for the TIE Fighter expansion, as we know there are three generics. The X-Wing expansion has four named pilots - double the amount apparently in the core set - and the core set has three named TIE pilots. So all signs point to there being a sixth pilot in the TIE/ln expansion. Have we seen that anywhere? Could it be Backstabber with new art, or is it likely to be someone brand new? Taking Wampa, Youngster, Chaser or even Dark Curse over Backstabber would seem like an odd choice to me.

I guess I'm irritated because one, the core set was supposed to be about pilots that were at the Battle of Gavin. And two, since they stole artwork that was clearly from the trench run except for Dark Curse, it just makes no sense. And i guess there is a three, which is not liking having characters from an EA property foisted on me. I mean whatever, they're just game mechanics in the end but I don't have to agree with it 100%.

7 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

have they revealed all the tie pilots yet? (legit question not being sarcastic) I haven't seen an unboxing of the tie fighter, but I would think mauler would still be in the game as he is also in armada, so still exists in ffg. I could be wrong, but dont think they want to erase pilots who are still in their active games

edit: oops guess someone spotted mauller in a spread, so it seems he is confirmed for reprint

Edited by Skandranon

7 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Mid?! He's Initiative 5. He matches Luke. If anything he replaced Wes. Also he jumped up a lot in PS in the wave transition. I5 is typically the PS7-8 from 1.0 and Thane was only a 4 in 1.0. He basically doubled PS in the transition.

3 hours ago, Skandranon said:

have they revealed all the tie pilots yet? (legit question not being sarcastic) I haven't seen an unboxing of the tie fighter, but I would think mauler would still be in the game as he is also in armada, so still exists in ffg. I could be wrong, but dont think they want to erase pilots who are still in their active games

edit: oops guess someone spotted mauller in a spread, so it seems he is confirmed for reprint

Yep, my bad. As I said in my second post on the thread, he's in the spread on the Imperial wave 1 article. 

Across the various spreads, leaks and reveals, we've now seen 8 named TIE Fighter pilots: Iden Versio, Valen Rudor and Night Beast in the core; Howlrunner, Mauler, Del Meeko, Gideon Hask and Scourge Skutu in the TIE Fighter expansion. As there are 3 generics, and judging by the X-Wing expansion the pattern seems to be double the number of pilots in the standalone compared with the core, there's probably one more pilot yet to be revealed. I actually have no idea who that could be. Possibly Wampa? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for Backstabber with new art, but that seems a little unlikely. 

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

Mid?! He's Initiative 5. He matches Luke. If anything he replaced Wes. Also he jumped up a lot in PS in the wave transition. I5 is typically the PS7-8 from 1.0 and Thane was only a 4 in 1.0. He basically doubled PS in the transition.

Yeah, sorry. I realised not long after posting that I was reading it wrong. I skimmed it, saw '5' and my brain jumped to the 1e scale - 5 being Hobbie's pilot skill. Didn't get round to editing the post. You're right, Thane is more like the Wes replacement. In some ways, that's worse. I really liked Wes' ability, and I'll be sad if it's gone for good.  

9 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

I just think they should add a maximum of Yavin Pilots in the core set, and that they should stick to either Names, callsigns or both combined. Mixing all of it is quite confusing...

If Darth Vader's own black squadron pilots are being taken away (Backstabber and dark curse) and replaced by crappy new pilots who weren't even there (and who aren't even getting their squadron callsigns in the title bar but instead crap like braggadocios Baron...) I'm going to start a new business selling high quality Chinese black market remakes of the 2.0 cards with my own personal changes on them via eBay to undercut their conversion policy and profits!

On a side note, can someone please find me find me the FFG employee who came up with the Braggadocios Baron title for rudor, I'm flinging a thesaurus at them next Gencon!!

8 minutes ago, Gadgetron said:

If Darth Vader's own black squadron pilots are being taken away (Backstabber and dark curse) and replaced by crappy new pilots who weren't even there (and who aren't even getting their squadron callsigns in the title bar but instead crap like braggadocios Baron...) I'm going to start a new business selling high quality Chinese black market remakes of the 2.0 cards with my own personal changes on them via eBay to undercut their conversion policy and profits!

On a side note, can someone please find me find me the FFG employee who came up with the Braggadocios Baron title for rudor, I'm flinging a thesaurus at them next Gencon!!

It was probably Davey... -suspicious squinting-

I’m really hoping that Wes and Hobbie both made the transition but have not been revealed yet. There are probably a bunch of X-wing and TIE fighter pilots in the conversion that have not been spoiled.