Trying to figure out if an electromagnet could pull a group of droids into a pile, leaving them in a grappled/helpless state. This is a lot like the beginning of the first Guardians of the galaxy; Starlord had something to pull Ronan's men into a pile of themselves.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, VericoseSpider2 said:

Trying to figure out if an electromagnet could pull a group of droids into a pile, leaving them in a grappled/helpless state. This is a lot like the beginning of the first Guardians of the galaxy; Starlord had something to pull Ronan's men into a pile of themselves.

I'd imagine so, given that Luke & company do something similar to retrieve Artoo and Threepio as they leave the Pit of Carkoon just before Jabba's sail barge goes kaboom.

I don't know if I'd consider them fully helpless while being affected by the electromagnet; at the very least they wouldn't be able to spend maneuvers to move/change range bands, but I'd still allow them to take actions.

It depends on a lot actually.

The big question is, are they made of Ferromagnetic material?  (Iron & Nickel).

Iron is plentiful & (relatively) cheap so if you don't mind a heavy droid then YES!

But what if you assume the droids are being built out of Aluminium?  Or on a Kevlar frame, or Titanium?  Bronze?  Brass?  Pewter?  Gold/Silver/Copper?

The sad reality is that an advance robotics program will probably use materials that are NOT iron, and ergo the droids wouldn't be affected by magnetic flux.

However in Star Wars, we have plenty of examples that indicate that Astromech Droids are at least equipped with electromagnetics in their rollers and 3PO & R2 ARE picked with an electromagnets in ROTJ.

Plus the Naboo space fleet apparently makes their spaceships with at least iron or nickel in their armor (else the Astromechs in The Phantom Menace would have just drifted off the back of the Naboo Yacht during their flight to evade the Trade Fed blockade . . .

So in the context of this game, the answer is "Probably yes."  Go with your evil plot to mess with the PC's!

And as an odd aside, I recently picked up one of those spiffy looking stainless steel refrigerators and was surprised to learn that the face of the fridge is NOT magnetic.  It's apparently a chrome surface (which is the element that gives steel its shiny color) so my stainless steel fridge isn't.

What we see as an electromagnet used to pick up droids could be a contact-range tractor beam. If so, then it doesn't really matter what the droids are made of and the device could likely pick up living beings too (although that might not be too safe).

Seems easy enough to port over to a droid scenario with some junkyard crane thingy.

TRACTOR (PASSIVE)
Instead of firing searing beams of laser fire or crackling ion discharges, this weapon fires relatively harmless electromagnetic beams that ensnare ships and hold them fast in space. Tractor beams, like all weapons, are fired at their target using the appropriate skill check (generally Gunnery) with all suitable modifiers. Once the weapon hits its target, the target may not move unless its pilot makes a successful Piloting check with a difficulty equal to the tractor beam's rating. The tractor beam's rating is always noted in parentheses in the weapon's stats, next to the quality.

AoR p. 171

Edited by 2P51