BigBadAndy

I need a bunker...

So I’m away from home and missing my hobby time.  But I’ve been thinking about my Endor terrain which amounts to half a dozen trees and a foam hill at this point.  But I need a bunker to complete the scene.  What are people doing for this?  I’m happy to make one or buy one, but I don’t want to spend too much or get stuck in a week-long building project.  Any resources out there?

Postage is high, but remember the site is in NZ dollars and you get free postage over $170 I think...

They also have a bunch of other stuff you might expect to find at a bunker, turning a single bunker into an installation with landing pads (both raised and ground level) shield/communications style satellite tower, gun towers, vaporators and crates and stuff. Easy to bling out several different styles of table for that $170 and you get free shipping then too. Plus it's pre-painted if you're pressed for hobby time, but easily paints up nicely if you have more time to do that!

2 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

Postage is high, but remember the site is in NZ dollars and you get free postage over $170 I think...

They also have a bunch of other stuff you might expect to find at a bunker, turning a single bunker into an installation with landing pads (both raised and ground level) shield/communications style satellite tower, gun towers, vaporators and crates and stuff. Easy to bling out several different styles of table for that $170 and you get free shipping then too. Plus it's pre-painted if you're pressed for hobby time, but easily paints up nicely if you have more time to do that!

Prepainted alone makes it worth it for me

The battle kiwi stuffis great. postage is a flat fee outside of NZ and AUS if its over $75 NZD. You get a lot for what you pay for though, and the size in the pictures don't do it justice... its pretty big. pre painted is nice, but the acortch marks add a sense of use, so they dont look fresh out of the factory. They use 3rd party shipping so its quick, only took a week for me in Florida. Overall I recommend them

Edited by Spinnaker
Spelling

Ugh.  It’s super cool stuff but I filled my cart with $180 USD worth if stuff and now I can’t decide what to get, lol.  It looks like they are charging me separate shipping on each piece though...

Thanks for putting me on to the site though.

The shipping should be capped at NZ$45 dollars, but I think it might be calculating it by weight and then it should cap the shipping further along. 

My order of preference would be Landing platform (it’s huge), scatter wars 2, the bunker, and the Laser Turret. The laser turret and the shield generator have interchangeable platforms if you want to customise their heights, but isn’t necessary. The walls (outpost builder) are cool but you almost need two sets to give you maximum customisability. 

Ah, right, I didn't realise free shipping was NZ/AUS only. Hah, the one time being on the bottom half of the planet works in our favour! Still, they do offer capped price international shipping. 

Yeah, it's hard to decide what to get. I think at the least I'll be getting one of each "scatter wars", the bunker, the shield generator, the gun tower and the landing pad. Maybe two gun towers.

I went ahead and picked up the bunker and the scatter terrain 2.  It came to about $75 USD.  More than I wanted to spend but I can’t conolain about the value compared to other things.  If I love it then I will think about springing for the landing platform (which is cool as heck).

Check out Imperial Terrain they have some truly great Star Wars scenery.

Also comm’s are great and the bunker front they offer is in an STL format but sure they would print it for you if requested.

I have ordered their modular landing bay set and while delivery takes 4 weeks, I can live with that for the quality on offer.

Edited by Chimaera

4 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Check out Imperial Terrain they have some truly great Star Wars scenery.

Also comm’s are great and the bunker front they offer is in an STL format but sure they would print it for you if requested.

I have ordered their modular landing bay set and while delivery takes 4 weeks, I can live with that for the quality on offer.

I remember being impressed by Imperial Terrain, but I don’t have a 3D printer and I think it was a bit pricey to have them print it.  I will go back and have a look again.  Since I am now resigned to flushing huge amounts of spare cash into this game...

3 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Battle kiwi is simply the best.

Not sure I could agree with that. I think anyone who looks at Imperial Terrains website couldn’t either :)

You can try Thingiverse and Etsy. I have found some really cool stuff and you can have alot of it printed by a third party for a reasonable price. I used them to add a couple of speeders to my custom Imperial Assault 3D built Skirmish maps and I was pleased with the results. It can be a little time consuming but that is up to you. You can find quite a few Endor type bunkers for sale in a variety of sizes.

I also used Imperial Terrain for a few pieces and the quality is nice. The thing with Imperial Terrain is if you see something you like buy it right there and then. If you know someone with a 3D printer you can purchase an STL File and have them print it for you. 

I liked the stuff from BattleKiwi but the shipping is killing me. 

You could always find a local library that has a 3D printer and download an STL file and just pay the price of plastic. Some libraries don't even charge you to use the printer.

For me I honestly built an Endor type bunker out of cardboard and it came out great in my opinion and took me about an hour to build. I painted it over in an enamel so that the cardboard would not warp. Then I painted it over in a satin gray color from the craft store. In all it cost me about $5.00 to build and a few hours of my time. I am very pleased with it.

22 minutes ago, C3POFETT said:

You can try Thingiverse and Etsy. I have found some really cool stuff and you can have alot of it printed by a third party for a reasonable price. I used them to add a couple of speeders to my custom Imperial Assault 3D built Skirmish maps and I was pleased with the results. It can be a little time consuming but that is up to you. You can find quite a few Endor type bunkers for sale in a variety of sizes.

I also used Imperial Terrain for a few pieces and the quality is nice. The thing with Imperial Terrain is if you see something you like buy it right there and then. If you know someone with a 3D printer you can purchase an STL File and have them print it for you. 

I liked the stuff from BattleKiwi but the shipping is killing me. 

You could always find a local library that has a 3D printer and download an STL file and just pay the price of plastic. Some libraries don't even charge you to use the printer.

For me I honestly built an Endor type bunker out of cardboard and it came out great in my opinion and took me about an hour to build. I painted it over in an enamel so that the cardboard would not warp. Then I painted it over in a satin gray color from the craft store. In all it cost me about $5.00 to build and a few hours of my time. I am very pleased with it.

Yeah, I love the idea of do it yourself.  But I’m facing a reality where I have managed to paint exactly one core set since Legion was released.  I have been crafting trees and a hill for use as terrain but I just want to be able to whack something on the table that looks Star Wars-ey without devoting a day or two or three to making it.  Once I have my forces painted and there’s nothing left to do, I will put more creative energy into terrain.

PS: can you share a picture of your bunker?

Edited by BigBadAndy

6 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Not sure I could agree with that. I think anyone who looks at Imperial Terrains website couldn’t either :)

Meh, imperial terrain comes with mild lines and needs painter.  Battle kiwi is absolutely superior to imperial terrain for my uses.  Perhaps imperial terrain works better for you and that’s cool.  It’s a good product as well and I have a few items from them. It’s  Just that the endor stuff from battle kiwi is just so amazing and perfect.

18 hours ago, Chimaera said:

It's horses for courses. Printed terrain always comes with print marks, and requires a degree of work to smooth over and paint. MDF terrain requires assembly, but can also be prepainted like in this instance.

I also prefer the actual offerings from BK, but would also be interested in picking up some of the buildings from Imperial Terrain.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I got my bunker yesterday and it is indeed very cool.  The instructions are not so great and I found it a bit more difficult to put together than I expected.  But it looks pretty good in the end.

LMWjp5e.jpg

5xGnbKr.jpg

Mcc1CXi.jpgePvp1Ar.jpgpsiWcQI.jpg

The little consoles are a nice bonus and I like the fact that the doors open and close.