feydruatha

Scum and villainy faction talk(Solo spoilers)

9 minutes ago, Copes said:

So, I was going to make a new topic after seeing Solo last night, but it looks like this one exists and it makes more sense to post here. 

SOLO SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

I have long said here on the forums that scum working together made no sense at all, as they would be rivals to each other more than allies. What I completely forgot was the entire Maul Clone War plot, where he rallies the criminal factions and makes an uneasy alliance. Obviously at the time of Solo, this is still in effect to a significant extent. 

So, I stand corrected. I now think that a Scum faction could work. However, I'd prefer them not called "Scum and Villainy" and instead be called "Shadow Collective" which is what the loose alliance between Pyke Syndicate, Hutt Cartel, Black Sun, and Death Watch are known as. Obviously we learn in Solo that Crimson Dawn seems to be a part of this. 

What makes me a little sad / uneasy is that in my mind, Bounty Hunters would fit into this group as well, regardless of what they're called. With Boba Fett announced for the Empire, I wonder if that will be altered later (perhaps Bounty Hunter characters will ultimately have cards released to be played with multiple factions) or if Boba simply won't be able to work with the seedy underworld. 

I still would rather the two Clone Wars factions, but after Solo, I feel significantly better about a "Scum" faction being released at some point.

FTFY

6 hours ago, Copes said:

So, I was going to make a new topic after seeing Solo last night, but it looks like this one exists and it makes more sense to post here. 

SOLO SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

Reveal hidden contents

I have long said here on the forums that scum working together made no sense at all, as they would be rivals to each other more than allies. What I completely forgot was the entire Maul Clone War plot, where he rallies the criminal factions and makes an uneasy alliance. Obviously at the time of Solo, this is still in effect to a significant extent. 

So, I stand corrected. I now think that a Scum faction could work. However, I'd prefer them not called "Scum and Villainy" and instead be called "Shadow Collective" which is what the loose alliance between Pyke Syndicate, Hutt Cartel, Black Sun, and Death Watch are known as. Obviously we learn in Solo that Crimson Dawn seems to be a part of this. 

What makes me a little sad / uneasy is that in my mind, Bounty Hunters would fit into this group as well, regardless of what they're called. With Boba Fett announced for the Empire, I wonder if that will be altered later (perhaps Bounty Hunter characters will ultimately have cards released to be played with multiple factions) or if Boba simply won't be able to work with the seedy underworld. 

I still would rather the two Clone Wars factions, but after Solo, I feel significantly better about a "Scum" faction being released at some point.

Personally, I still prefer the "fringe" term rather than Scum & Villainy...

It's one of the things that WotC had gotten so right with it, they're not all crooks and criminals, they're just the other groups that aren't part of either major faction. Something like CorSec or some security agency (or even someone like Dash Rendar) are just as much a part of it as the Hutts or Black Sun...

4 hours ago, Shadows of the Future said:

Personally, I still prefer the "fringe" term rather than Scum & Villainy...

It's one of the things that WotC had gotten so right with it, they're not all crooks and criminals, they're just the other groups that aren't part of either major faction. Something like CorSec or some security agency (or even someone like Dash Rendar) are just as much a part of it as the Hutts or Black Sun...

I hope it'd be fringe too. WoTC had this cool utapauan soldier on a pterodactyl mount which is clearly not a scum or villain. 

17 hours ago, Jman444 said:

I hope it'd be fringe too. WoTC had this cool utapauan soldier on a pterodactyl mount which is clearly not a scum or villain. 

They'd probably be lumped into the Grand Army of the Republic to be honest.

I view Scum and Villainy as primarily being used as it is a direct reference to one of the famous lines of the film, rather than having direct implications on the nature of any individuals or groups included therein. "Fringer," implies those individuals and organizations from "uncivilized" worlds, and lacks the direct tie in to the OT. 

It also seems the semi-independence that the Corellian system had in the old EU is not a thing in the new canon, and Corsec now seems to be just an extension of the Empire. Any units defined as "Corsec" would likely just be available to the Empire.