Sign in to follow this  
Marauder1983

Cross game campaign - draft

A few things:

A heavily automated ship with an AI is kinda un-star-warsy. Part of the schtick is about huge ships with massive crews, not ships with advanced AIs. But it's not actually relevant to the plot of the campaign, so I'd just scrap that notion altogether and go with a generic "experimental ship utilising new prototype technology" and if the crew numbers ever become relevant you can then get into how the crew is heavily reduced due to automated systems.

There's a bunch of typos in there.

People don't need FFG stuff. Any playmat will do, it doesn't have to be FFG ones. Also, the correct model scale for Legion is 1/48, not 1/72.

I really like the fleet pool system where once a ship is destroyed, it's gone for good. I like the idea of having one 'hero' ship and a bunch of faceless plebs as support.

I can't help but think that maybe Imperial Assault might be better for some missions than Legion?

Anyway, really great work overall. You've clearly invested a bunch of time and effort and I think you're definitely on the right track.

2 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

Also, the correct model scale for Legion is 1/48, not 1/72.

1/42 scale would be over 43mm scale (ie close to half an inch taller than regular gaming miniatures). No way are the legion figs that big. They should between 1/50 and 1/60 scale. 

They're a big 35mm. Taller than my BMG minis which are 35mm. Consensus over on the Legion forum is that 1/48 is the right scale, but there's a solid chance that is mostly because 1/48 is an actual modelling scale with a handful of models in it while I don't think I've ever seen a commercially produced 1/50 or 1/60 kit, so it could just be a case of 1/48 being the closest.

Also, scale is notoriously hard to pin down when it comes to sci-fi models. For instance, the Bandai 1/48 AT ST is smaller than the Legion one. The Bandai 1/48 airspeeder is bigger than the Legion one. So who knows?

The scale of the models is simply based on what is currently available and easy to obtain. The 1/72 ship models are readily available and cost effective where the large models are more expensive and harder to find.   All in all I really wanted to have the ships there as an rpg option so a hero can run back to his ship and spend a turn lifting off to do an attack run across the legion table or something like that. Or for cinematic fun. All in all that is why I put optional. 

For the AI I see your point and I will look at it. Mainly I was using it as a reason they were able to fit the 4 blank upgrade slots to the ship, 900 people take up a lot of room. With out them it opens that room to sub systems. 

Edited by Marauder1983

22 hours ago, Marauder1983 said:

Hi all

i am working on a cross game campaign for armada, x wing, and legion. This is a draft idea and I would love some feed back. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3YzPuGFkb-UdDJ3cGJHZ0Utcjh6OWEyZ1lVME5tTEw2aE5V 

Because of the Scum faction I don't think Armada and Legion crosses well with X-wing. If anything X-wing is better as a campaign paired with Imperial Assault.

Now Legion-Armada campaign, that is something interesting to see. We all want to recreate the battle of Endor after all with both planet and space combat.

13 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Because of the Scum faction I don't think Armada and Legion crosses well with X-wing. If anything X-wing is better as a campaign paired with Imperial Assault.

Now Legion-Armada campaign, that is something interesting to see. We all want to recreate the battle of Endor after all with both planet and space combat.

The ground combat can be interesting... But a whole imperial fleet was in space. Any sane person would engage the rebels, so a recreation would end with imperial space victory and then a healthy swarm of bombers engaging the ground forces... Or orbital bombardment... Or deathstar stuff.

18 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

The ground combat can be interesting... But a whole imperial fleet was in space. Any sane person would engage the rebels, so a recreation would end with imperial space victory and then a healthy swarm of bombers engaging the ground forces... Or orbital bombardment... Or deathstar stuff.

There was both space action and ground action during this battle so you can link planet and space. All you need is shield/planetary cannon and there you go, a connected skirmish.

Edited by Marinealver