Jump to content
Tiberius the Killer

Rebel Fleet Troopers, are they awful?

Recommended Posts

So I haven't taken the plunge into Legion yet.  I plan to eventually, but I want to let the game mature a little before I invest.  But I have always been a fan of the Rebel Fleet troopers, and I am tempted to get some to paint up, and someday to include in my army.  But I want to know honestly, do they suck?  I really don't understand the game fully yet, so I have no way of gauging it.  I will be much less tempted to get them if I know they are awful in game.  Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to be situational.  The top list from a tournament ran 2 fully suited up units of fleet troopers, with 4 units of rebel troopers. 

I'm running one right now and may bump it up to two. If people are playing with as much terrain as they should, fleet troopers should be pretty good. 

Edited by jgibbs2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played with 2 units in my army last night. They worked great. Only was able to fit them in with Environmental Gear on them, but they worked great. 8 white dice with surges on attack and defense and being able to hop over barricades at speed 2 for 47 points is really nice. Range was never really an issue as we were playing with a decent amount of terrain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tiberius the Killer said:

So I haven't taken the plunge into Legion yet.  I plan to eventually, but I want to let the game mature a little before I invest.  But I have always been a fan of the Rebel Fleet troopers, and I am tempted to get some to paint up, and someday to include in my army.  But I want to know honestly, do they suck?  I really don't understand the game fully yet, so I have no way of gauging it.  I will be much less tempted to get them if I know they are awful in game.  Thanks for your help!

Come on Tiberius… you know there is already a garage growing with terrain. @Sword named Folly was running them last night but they spent most of their time hiding on top of a temple. Seem like great area defense from behind terrain blocking line of sight. Probably plenty of uses with current conditions/objectives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mr_mithrandir said:

Come on Tiberius… you know there is already a garage growing with terrain. @Sword named Folly was running them last night but they spent most of their time hiding on top of a temple. Seem like great area defense from behind terrain blocking line of sight. Probably plenty of uses with current conditions/objectives. 

I know, and if I get sucked into this game I am definitely blaming you two!!  I am trying to resist the urge to go get a box of them today at the Dice House...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tiberius the Killer said:

I know, and if I get sucked into this game I am definitely blaming you two!!  I am trying to resist the urge to go get a box of them today at the Dice House...

I'll just be the first to welcome you to the Legion family. :). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mr_mithrandir said:

I mean… it’s only 20 bucks… you could probably find that in your car… 

Granted, you might have to sell your car for the rest of the troops.

And foam to carry them.

And all of the terrain you are going to want to build or buy.

And the paints and inks and washes and brushes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FSD said:

Granted, you might have to sell your car for the rest of the troops.

And foam to carry them.

And all of the terrain you are going to want to build or buy.

And the paints and inks and washes and brushes.

I went with metal roofing sheets and magnets. About 25 bucks to store them as the sheets fit in the core set boxes and I'm storing two armies like that. The only thing that doesnt fit is the ATST and Airspeeder but the Airspeeder has been demoted to a model that sits in on my desk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, fleet troopers are totally worth it. Rapid reinforcements and Leia make them a very viable option. In case you didn't know, a speed 2 move is equal to range 1. This means in any scenario where a rebel trooper unit would take an aim/dodge and shoot, fleet troopers can move and shoot. With Leia, she can help them move, remove suppression, or double tap to deny your opponent a reaction. 

Their grenade launcher is kinda a one time use, but it allows you to throw 12 white and 1 black at 1 unit and deny cover or hit vehicles, making it the most versatile heavy weapon available. Or the scatter gun let's you get past defense dice. Their surge and 2 white make them twice as deadly as storm troopers. 

I wish I had 4 of them, but I won't spend that much right now. Nor do I want to paint that many squads again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

Yes, fleet troopers are totally worth it. Rapid reinforcements and Leia make them a very viable option. In case you didn't know, a speed 2 move is equal to range 1. This means in any scenario where a rebel trooper unit would take an aim/dodge and shoot, fleet troopers can move and shoot. With Leia, she can help them move, remove suppression, or double tap to deny your opponent a reaction. 

Their grenade launcher is kinda a one time use, but it allows you to throw 12 white and 1 black at 1 unit and deny cover or hit vehicles, making it the most versatile heavy weapon available. Or the scatter gun let's you get past defense dice. Their surge and 2 white make them twice as deadly as storm troopers. 

I wish I had 4 of them, but I won't spend that much right now. Nor do I want to paint that many squads again...

 

^

Pretty much this. If range is concern, use the GL to pop off a quick range 3 before closing, but with that many dice, they'll make up the difference in a hurry when they get there. Very solid unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've finally gave them some playtime, and I think they're great! They pack a really solid punch, and my initial expectation for MPL do come true - I love it! In the game I used it, it got two shots, but what the shots they were! First one was from a full unit with aim (they got the missing range thanks to Leia's 2pip), and they obliterated a full enemy z6 unit down to just the leader.  They got hit pretty hard in return, leaving them with stack of suppression and down to the leader and barrage trooper. Later that turn, Leia got rid of 2 of their suppression tokens and early next turn they reloaded and... took down another 3 enemy troopers behind heavy cover.

Range 3 Blast is awesome, and with the rest of the team (i.e. range 2) it is absolutely brutal. Also worth noting, my opponent used 2 units to some good effect, so we got to see how to work with and against them. Long story short: don't standby, it's a gimmick only ever useful under very specific circumstances.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, there really isn't a wrong way to build this unit in terms of Personnel and Heavy Weapons:

 

4x dudes- 8 white dice for 44pts

add a dude- 2 more whites for 11pts

add shotgun- 2 reds with Pierce 1

add grenade launcer-1 black and 2 whites with Blast, Impact 2 and some extra range

 

Literally any combination of these is not just playable, but outright good.

Edited by MasterShake2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shanturin said:

I've finally gave them some playtime, and I think they're great! They pack a really solid punch, and my initial expectation for MPL do come true - I love it! In the game I used it, it got two shots, but what the shots they were! First one was from a full unit with aim (they got the missing range thanks to Leia's 2pip), and they obliterated a full enemy z6 unit down to just the leader.  They got hit pretty hard in return, leaving them with stack of suppression and down to the leader and barrage trooper. Later that turn, Leia got rid of 2 of their suppression tokens and early next turn they reloaded and... took down another 3 enemy troopers behind heavy cover.

Range 3 Blast is awesome, and with the rest of the team (i.e. range 2) it is absolutely brutal. Also worth noting, my opponent used 2 units to some good effect, so we got to see how to work with and against them. Long story short: don't standby, it's a gimmick only ever useful under very specific circumstances.

 

Seriously, the MPL is sick. People really get hung up on the reload action (recover) for these guns. It just means you don't get to move and shot or aim and shoot. You can still use the thing every turn and how is that gun not the boss?

Rebel troopers are way good and your opponent has to have a range 4 answer to them and all range 4 answers will take several turns to get these guys off the board.  In the mean time, while your opponent is reacting to this pawn, you can move and set up for your own answers to his army.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Undeadguy said:

Yes, fleet troopers are totally worth it. Rapid reinforcements and Leia make them a very viable option. In case you didn't know, a speed 2 move is equal to range 1. This means in any scenario where a rebel trooper unit would take an aim/dodge and shoot, fleet troopers can move and shoot. With Leia, she can help them move, remove suppression, or double tap to deny your opponent a reaction. 

Their grenade launcher is kinda a one time use, but it allows you to throw 12 white and 1 black at 1 unit and deny cover or hit vehicles, making it the most versatile heavy weapon available. Or the scatter gun let's you get past defense dice. Their surge and 2 white make them twice as deadly as storm troopers. 

I wish I had 4 of them, but I won't spend that much right now. Nor do I want to paint that many squads again...

Funny because literally the first scene we saw in the first Star Wars movie was these guys getting wasted by storm troopers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fleet troopers are my favorite Star Wars 'soldiers' from when I was a kid back at ANH release.

Picked up and painted 1 squad of them (see painting section).

Abosolutey love the sculpts, great quality imo.

REgards effectiveness, they are just different to Rebel Troopers, they offer a different plan of action, which can only be a good thing yes?  Why release all the troopers the same.  Use thm in dense areas of the table to use cover and shorter ranges.

 

If you play on a table with no terrain, yes they are bad...play on a proper table with proper terrain and their shorter range can be effectively used. I dotn get what poeple want, same stats as normal troopers?  Would all become a bit bland?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mep said:

Seriously, the MPL is sick. People really get hung up on the reload action (recover) for these guns. It just means you don't get to move and shot or aim and shoot. You can still use the thing every turn and how is that gun not the boss?

 

You can use it every turn if you're not suppressed. But often you will be. Even if you're not suppressed,  you may need to move instead of Aim to get line of sight on an enemy, get into range of the enemy or get to cover so you aren't wiped out. Often you'l need to Dodge to keep from getting wiped out. So its pretty unlikely you'll be able to reload and fire the weapon every turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jake the Hutt said:

You can use it every turn if you're not suppressed. But often you will be. Even if you're not suppressed,  you may need to move instead of Aim to get line of sight on an enemy, get into range of the enemy or get to cover so you aren't wiped out. Often you'l need to Dodge to keep from getting wiped out. So its pretty unlikely you'll be able to reload and fire the weapon every turn.

I feel that’s where leia’s take cover synergizes well with these troopers. They got the dodge from her then if played in conjunction with her command card that lets a unit activate after her they can recover and open fire on enemy units. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...