Gun4hire

Any opinions on Imperials DLT-19 vs HH-12?

So with stormtrooper units i like to run at least 2 DLT automatically. But what sounds better.

4 stormtrooper units all with DLT-19 

Or

2 stormtrooper units with DLTs, 1 unit with HH-12, and 1 unit with extra trooper and grenades.

DLT-19 is the msot cost-effective weapon you can get with the stormtroopers: 2 red, surge to hit, impact 1 dice are great for the price.
WHenever I play imps, I max out the number of naked DLT-19 squads.

Edited by Deuzerre

I prefer to run all/most DLTs. I keep trying to convince myself to use the HH-12 units, but it seems easy to suppress and then it's either ready or shoot, not both. I like flexible units more than I like specialized ones, too.

Those are all very good points. The times ive used a HH-12 i always got frustrated when i need to move them into position but then couldnt fire and then they get shot down and suppressed. If the HH-12 didnt have cumbersome and maybe blast they would be sooooo much better.

DLT is the default option no question.  It's the reason to take Stormtroopers, period, IMO.

The HH isn't completely useless but you need to have a plan for it.  It's actually fairly powerful to have 1 or 2 of them in the back with Veers if you can spare 10 points over the DLT.  His Recover order gives them the turn they need to put the hurt into something.

1 hour ago, LunarSol said:

DLT is the default option no question.  It's the reason to take Stormtroopers, period, IMO.

The HH isn't completely useless but you need to have a plan for it.  It's actually fairly powerful to have 1 or 2 of them in the back with Veers if you can spare 10 points over the DLT.  His Recover order gives them the turn they need to put the hurt into something.

To counter that, you could instead keep 2 DLT squads in the back with Veers and use the leftover points to give them trooper upgrades. They're now Veers guardian troop fodder, since the DLTs are what we all really care about :P

3 minutes ago, Cheek said:

To counter that, you could instead keep 2 DLT squads in the back with Veers and use the leftover points to give them trooper upgrades. They're now Veers guardian troop fodder, since the DLTs are what we all really care about :P

You'd be over 2 points, but yes.

Against armor though, the Impact 3 is significant enough that the HH is better at the role than the DLT; what its not is better enough to be worth 10 points more and require the unit stay stationary and spend an action to recharge it rather than getting to aim.  When you've got Veers fixing all but the cost problem the thing becomes almost worth it enough that its worth taking if the points happen to fit.

Ive tried stormtroopers with only an extra trooper and grenades i usually just aleays wish they had a DLT instead. Grenades are good but usually a unit of 5 takes a couple wounds by the time they get close and then just throw 2-3 black dice. I think concussuon grenades are the only useful grenades for Imps to get the blast keyword. Impact isnt really needed as much because most Imp weapons have impact naturally.

It technically can happen with AT-RTs somewhat often, but the big advantage is that if you're in range of the Blast, you're in range to upgrade the normal trooper's dice from white to black.  The grenades themselves being impact just means that you can also focus those black dice on armor if you need it.