Sign in to follow this  
spacesound

Why bother buying 1.0 expansions?

Why bother with anything 1.0?

If you have a small collection like mine, buying 1.0 stuff to fill out what is in the 2.0 conversion kits makes some sense. Also after 2.0 is fully released, we will probably see a lot of 1.0 stuff going for very good prices.

6 minutes ago, Innese said:

FFG mentioned in an early 2.0 video/stream that the paint schemes of ships in Aces/Verterans packs wouldn’t be returning, so if you want those specific models 

But FFG said the 2.0 models will be better like the X-Wing and Y-Wing. And I think in the Tie Fighter will finally have the correct color.

Just now, spacesound said:

But FFG said the 2.0 models will be better like the X-Wing and Y-Wing. And I think in the Tie Fighter will finally have the correct color.

Yea some ships are getting new paints & sculpts, but not all of them.

As others have said,it can be a great opportunity to fill out your collection of ships that will fit in a conversion kit. Even more so when some eventually go on sale, especially some big ships if you only ever bought the 1. I would probably avoid a Y, X and Protectorate if you care about the sculpt. If I can find one, I will probably pick up a 2nd Hwk if I can find one. 

13 minutes ago, spacesound said:

The TIE Fighter does have the correct colour.

For ANH.

The original TIE Fighter filming models were flat grey. They were reused in ESB but with colour correction in post to make them look bluer, then (I think) RotJ used new models that were painted blue to match the new TIE Interceptors. 

The first wave was very much Yavin themed, so it seemed natural to make the TIEs grey. The other types of TIE were only ever seen as blue on screen, so naturally they got released as blue.

I actually ended up swapping my core set TIEs with a friend for his blue ones from the Assault Carrier because he didn't want two random blue TIEs in his swarm of 8 mostly grey ones, and I didn't have that many TIEs and wanted them to match all my other TIE variants. So I'm kinda cool with the change in 2e, because at least all the TIEs will match each other. But I'm surprised the TIEs in the core set didn't get a grey repaint to make them Yavin versions. After all, the core set X-Wing gets a Red 5 repaint. Would've been a cool way to make the core set more distinct. 

I bought a 2nd TIE Silencer because I hadn't gotten anything at the FLGS for a long while.  As for other 1.0 stuff, I feel like I've kinda got everything I want (I'm well past "everything I need"), but it'll depend on sales.  If I see half-price ships at local stores, I might snap up a few.  I don't think I'd order stuff online, but if local stores are trying to clear out inventory, recoup some losses on previous-edition games, well, I guess I can use that as an excuse to spend more than I should.

23 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

The TIE Fighter does have the correct colour.

For ANH.

The original TIE Fighter filming models were flat grey. They were reused in ESB but with colour correction in post to make them look bluer, then (I think) RotJ used new models that were painted blue to match the new TIE Interceptors. [...]

My understanding is that they always wanted TIEs to be Blue in ANH, but the blue screen technology of 1976-77 wasn't quite up to the task then, so they had to be white/grey.

There were several things that didn’t show up they way they were intended in the original versions due to blue screen technology at the time. The Ties were the most obvious, R2’s dome was another, the blue was black during space scenes originally. 

1 hour ago, spacesound said:

Why bother with anything 1.0?

If you have a small collection like mine, buying 1.0 stuff to fill out what is in the 2.0 conversion kits makes some sense. Also after 2.0 is fully released, we will probably see a lot of 1.0 stuff going for very good prices.

Also its going to be cheaper and faster to get a collection buying 1.0 for the next months. Cheaper because stores are going to want to liquidate their 1.0 to have room for 2.0 and people will buy less waiting for 2.0 making stores want to discount to clear out the stock. Faster because we dont know how fast the 2.0 releases are or when in the release schedule any one ship is. Wanting to play K-Wings in 2.0 and buy the 2.0 version? Yeah sorry that isnt until wave 7 of 2.0 seven months after 2.0 comes out.

Also cheaper in that the prices for ships are going up in 2.0.

10 1.0 ships plus Conversion kit = 150$  * I personally wouldnt pay any more than 10-12 dollars for 1.0 sealed product between now ad 2.0

10 2.0 ships brand new = 200$

4 minutes ago, Arschbombe said:

This is incorrect. 

They certainly appeared that way in ANH because of lighting, but they were actually stormy sea gray from Pactra.

Okay, but if it's grey on screen does that not just mean... they're grey?

I mean, the prop lightsabers they used in ANH were white, and the glowing red/blue was rotoscoped in afterwards. Does that mean that actually all lightsabers were white?

I can see where this is going so before this becomes another 'is Han's Hoth coat brown or blue', I'm just going to say I take your point. There's a very valid argument that all TIEs should be blue, and like I said in my previous post I'm totally cool with it from a consistency point of view.

But to me the ANH TIEs being grey is legit. There's been a ton of artwork depicting TIEs as grey, including Rebels. I can totally see why the 1e TIEs were grey. I think it would be pretty cool if they made it that it's just Darth Vader's personal Black Squadron that have grey hulls. Would fit all the existing pilot card artwork too...

If I see 1.0 ships going cheap, how am I supposed to resist?

My external logic is that they will drop further. The kits will come out, there will be much spare cardboard about. New ships will be 20 quid (ish). In a resurgant X Wing 2.0, people will see a fully compatible bare ship at 10 quid as reasonable. That Quadjumper I just bought for 6 quid will be resellable for a tiny bit more, therefore its an 'investment'.... (that will never be capitalised. Sshhh, don't tell the missus).

My internal logic is SIX QUID QUADJUMPER!

Do not tell me the odds.

1 minute ago, Cuz05 said:

If I see 1.0 ships going cheap, how am I supposed to resist?

My external logic is that they will drop further. The kits will come out, there will be much spare cardboard about. New ships will be 20 quid (ish). In a resurgant X Wing 2.0, people will see a fully compatible bare ship at 10 quid as reasonable. That Quadjumper I just bought for 6 quid will be resellable for a tiny bit more, therefore its an 'investment'.... (that will never be capitalised. Sshhh, don't tell the missus).

My internal logic is SIX QUID QUADJUMPER!

Do not tell me the odds.

People laughed when I got the 2nd HWK... and the 3rd... 4th... 5th....... 6th..............

Mynock did a cost analysis and you are better off buying 1.0 ships+conversion kits than an equivalent number of 2.0 ships new in the box because of the cost increase.   And that's at MSRP, not including any discounts due to stores want to clear out old ships.

I'm trying to not buy full expansions, as I don't really play 1.0 right now, but I've picked up a few ship-only/certain cards-removed expansions off ebay to fill out my fleets. Why not grab the ships that I don't have so I can get the most out of my conversion kits?

1 hour ago, piznit said:

All the cool kids buy 1.0.

When I show up at the stores to play I make sure Ive got my Members Only jacket and my Sebagos on.  

With your fanny pack where it belongs - the back side.

1 hour ago, AlexW said:

Mynock did a cost analysis and you are better off buying 1.0 ships+conversion kits than an equivalent number of 2.0 ships new in the box because of the cost increase.   And that's at MSRP, not including any discounts due to stores want to clear out old ships.

Does that include the latter waves mini conversion kits (that we have 0 info or costing on) to get you the new pilots in those sets?