Sign in to follow this  
Ayleron

Pilots who you fear won't survive the 2.0 upgrade

One of my favorite pilots in 1st edition is Tarn Mison, especially with R7, but he is still good without the astromech. His ability actually played into his low ps/in and he is a good value for his cost. 

There seems to be a much smaller number of x-wing pilots 2nd edition and while they said there would be possibly even more pilots than there were I am not sure that will be the case with the x-wing and probably the Tie/Ln. 

Are there any pilots that you are afraid will be left out of 2nd edition? 

Tarn-mison.png

Dark Curse, the original NPE.

Backstabber. In a game about arcs, he should have a spot.

Winged Gundark.  He can finally be costed correctly and see play.

Wampa. But his ability might not have a place in a game where super defense is gone.

Youngster could still be cool.

Nobody liked Chaser, but he might be useful in a version where focus tokens are more precious.

Etahn Abaht. I have a friend that says that if he doesn't make 2nd ed (with unchanged ability), he isn't converting. I couldn't care less about etahn, but i want to play 2 ed with this friend. So, it really matters to me whether he makes it.

Edited by Zura

Rexler Brath and Maarek Stele (Defender) since we have Ryad and Valen Rudor spoiled as Defender Aces.

Lieutenant Colzet (TIE Advanced) since I doubt we'll get more than 2 named pilots for the ship.

Wampa and Backstabber since we've had so many TIE/LN pilots spoiled already.

19 minutes ago, impspy said:

Rexler Brath and Maarek Stele (Defender) since we have Ryad and Valen Rudor spoiled as Defender Aces.

Lieutenant Colzet (TIE Advanced) since I doubt we'll get more than 2 named pilots for the ship. 

Wampa and Backstabber since we've had so many TIE/LN pilots spoiled already.

We know all four TIE advanced pilots. Zertik Strom, Ved Folso, Maarek Steele, Darth Vader.

Folso has Juno Eclispe's ability and Zertik Strom has Lieutenant Colzet's ability.

Lieutenant Colzet's art is reused for the new elite generic.

I haven't seen the Rudor defender. I'd have thought the new canon pick would have been Vult Skerris who actually flies it. Anyone got a link for the Rudor one.

Edited by Firespray-32

12 minutes ago, E Chu Ta said:

Is Sunny Bounder confirmed?

If not, then Sunny Bounder.

Sadly the only Scyk we know of so far is the cheap generic... I hope Sunny & Quinn both make it.

23 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

I was most worried about Jan Ors. I'm happy now.

that being said, I do fear for Tycho. 

Tycho should be good. 

If Maarek Steele, Jan Ors and (most importantly) Corran Horn can make it in, so can Tycho. He's a popular pilot in a popular EU book series who saw a decent amount of play in the earlier days of the game. He's well known to old hands at X-Wing and EU readers alike, and he's got his mug plastered on a squadron card in Armada. Whether he's going to have the same ability (unlikely) or stay at the top of the Initiative pile (possible) is another matter.

Gemmer Sojan, on the other hand, is almost definitely gone.

He's a nobody from the ancient original marvel comics who didn't even get a full name until a 2012 reference book and never saw any table time in X-Wing.

He's definitely getting replaced by Shara Bey. She's canon, more important (mother of Poe) and was the main character of the story she appeared in. She's also made it into Armada, so there's existing art of her. 

For me, I'm really hoping Col. Vessery makes it back. He was such a fun pilot to fly in 1e, but he's a relatively minor character from one book in the EU. I'm hoping his rep from 1e keeps him in.

Rexler Brath is probably gone, to be replaced by Vult Skerris.

Dark Curse may well be gone, as Iden Versio is using his art on her card. It's a shame because I loved how thematic his interactions with Wedge and Luke were.

Keyan Farlander is a big worry for me, as he was one of my favourite pilots. Ten Numb now his ability, so I'll at least get the same game experience. But his ability being given to someone else definitely looks like he's going. 

On the subject of B-Wings, Nera Dantels and Ibtisam are probably gone too. Both minor characters from now non-canon comics. Ibtisam was a little more important, I guess, but she never actually flew a B-Wing. Nera was only brought in because they needed someone in a different B-Wing paint job. Braylen Stramm and Gina Moonsong from the Blade Squadron short stories are absolute shoe ins. Braylen's already in the game in 1e, so they'd be mad not to take this opportunity to put him in the right ship, and Gina was the main character. As a canon female B-Wing pilot, she just makes so much more sense than Ibtisam. 

Maarek Steele on the TIE Defender is probably gone. With Valen coming to the ship, Ryad already confirmed and Vult Skerris almost certainly getting a slot, I don't see enough room for Maarek to make the cut. A real shame because I had a great Vessery, Maarek and Assault Gunboat list that was just the most TIE Fighter (the space sim) thing ever. 

Lastly, I'm really curious about the generic Bounty Hunter pilot for the Firespray. Given how rare the ship is supposed to be, the precedent set by the 1e ARC-170 and the amount of pilots we've already got confirmed for the now Scum only Firespray (5, I think? Boba, Kath, Kressis, Kath, Koshka and Emon) I'm definitely wondering if they're just not going to bother with a generic. I suppose there still has to be a sixth pilot to share a base with one of the above, so maybe it'll still be there. I really wouldn't be surprised if they go all named pilots here though.

Col. Vessery. with is ability.

Quickdraw with her ability, unlikely as far as the ability goes.

Wampa with his ability.

did I see somewhere that Oicunn made the cut but his ability has been changed? cause if so, that kinda sucks.

Back stabber

Omega Leader

I'm sure I can think of a few others. just not right now.

7 minutes ago, Firespray-32 said:

We know all four TIE advanced pilots. Zertik Strom, Ved Folso, Maarek Steele, Darth Vader.

Folso has Juno Eclispe's ability and Zertik Strom has Lieutenant Colzet's ability.

Lieutenant Colzet's art is reused for the new elite generic.

I haven't seen the Rudor defender. I'd have thought the new canon pick would have been Vult Skerris who actually flies it. Anyone got a link for the Rudor one.

Rudor is in the trailer. 

2 hours ago, Ayleron said:

One of my favorite pilots in 1st edition is Tarn Mison, especially with R7, but he is still good without the astromech. His ability actually played into his low ps/in and he is a good value for his cost. 

So I've been thinking a little more about this, and I think you're right about Tarn not coming back.

We've seen from the various unboxing videos that the 2e X-Wing expansion comes with Wedge, Thane, Garven and Biggs. We also know that Luke and Jek are pilots. Given that we've been told everything from Wave 1 is included in the conversion kits, I think it's also fair to assume the reverse is true - new players to the game should absolutely not miss out on anything by not getting the conversion kits, so everything in the kits for wave 1 ship must also be in either the core set or those expansions. 

We don't know yet exactly how many named pilots we'll be getting in the core set for the X-Wing, but I see only two options. Two, or four. I'm hoping for four as it seems that's the new standard for standalone expansions, and I'd be a bit miffed if the core set didn't come with a full expansion's worth of content for each ship. In 1e both the core set and the expansion came with two named pilots and two astromechs, for example. 

Either way, we know that two of those slots have already gone to Luke and Jek. And if there are two left, the logical choices are Hobbie and Wes as they were both named onscreen in the films. At the very least I really hope they're both back as they're two of my favourite pilots from the old EU books, and I loved flying Wes in 1e. I'd also love to give Hobbie a shot on the new improved 2e chassis.

Sadly, that doesn't leave any room for Tarn.

Looks like Thane has taken his slot :(