Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

HotAC until 2.0

I've been looking at trying to get a HotAC campaign going with some local friends.  I'd like to try to play through it once, then try the New Jedi Order-based Invaders of the Autari Cluster campaign.  Already ordered some Coralskippers from Mel on Shapeways. 

1 hour ago, player2072913 said:

I've been thinking about running a HOTAC game for few pals this summer. They're into their role-playing games, but have only a couple of games of xwing between the 4 of them. 

Is HOTAC a good fit? 

I just did a demo game for a new guy. He's never seen X-Wing until today. I was also discussing our upcoming HotAC campaign starting in two weeks. The new guy wants to join in as he loves RPGs and thinks HotAC kind of bridges the gap. So yes, I think HotAC would be a good fit.

Anyone on here experienced with sound editing software?

For the Rescue Rebel Operatives, I thought of recording a Mayday call for help and editing the sound file to sound like the garbled communications we hear in the Battle of Yavin.  Anyone got any ideas on how to edit the sound file? I've found a little help with Google using the sound editor Audacity but it doesn't quite sound like the communications at the Battle of Yavin.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:41 AM, drail14me said:

Fan's are already converting HotAC to 2.0 so it's not going anywhere. Only getting better. Here's one of the ship cards under development from a member of the HotAC Facebook page.

32590520_1738848932871304_54169641556073

I can see on this latest version of HotAC they have borrowed quite a bit from the Tactical Droid A.I. system. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

Tactical Droid A.I. System:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/161995/tactical-droid-i-x-wing

Edited by OoALEJOoO

7 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

I can see on this latest version of HotAC they have borrowed quite a bit from the Tactical Droid A.I. system. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

Tactical Droid A.I. System:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/161995/tactical-droid-i-x-wing

Yup, stress table is inspired by Tactical Droid AI for sure. I will give you credit for that in my document as soon as I have started publishing it. Note that this is not in any way official HotAC 2.0 stuff, it's just for my update for Flight Group Alpha into x-wing 2.0. Hence the "FGA v0.03" version on this pic.

Edited by TreatAsRange2
typo

11 hours ago, player2072913 said:

I've been thinking about running a HOTAC game for few pals this summer. They're into their role-playing games, but have only a couple of games of xwing between the 4 of them. 

Is HOTAC a good fit? 

Yes, I think it's the perfect fit, actually.  The only challenge might be in helping them pick EPT's and maybe upgrades.  Just make sure to have some examples or ideas on what types of upgrades people might want.  

4 hours ago, TreatAsRange2 said:

Yup, stress table is inspired by Tactical Droid AI for sure. I will give you credit for that in my document as soon as I have started publishing it. Note that this is not in any way official HotAC 2.0 stuff, it's just for my update for Flight Group Alpha into x-wing 2.0. Hence the "FGA v0.03" version on this pic.

No worries, some concepts from used on the Tactical Droid was borrowed from the earlier A.I's as well. Good to see people are still working on stuff like this!

I understand the goal of the HotAC is meant to be a simplified streamlined A.I. meant for campaign play. The goal of the Tactical Droid is to create a tough-to-beat A.I. that uses 100% game rules (no simplifications) while supporting any custom squadron. Version 1.1 (still unreleased) is proving to be tougher to beat than 1.0.

It would be interesting to do a "Battle of the A.I.s" test run where the different A.I's are pitted against one another head-to-head, and see what the results are.

1 hour ago, OoALEJOoO said:

No worries, some concepts from used on the Tactical Droid was borrowed from the earlier A.I's as well. Good to see people are still working on stuff like this!

I understand the goal of the HotAC is meant to be a simplified streamlined A.I. meant for campaign play. The goal of the Tactical Droid is to create a tough-to-beat A.I. that uses 100% game rules (no simplifications) while supporting any custom squadron. Version 1.1 (still unreleased) is proving to be tougher to beat than 1.0.

It would be interesting to do a "Battle of the A.I.s" test run where the different A.I's are pitted against one another head-to-head, and see what the results are.

I think yours would win. As you say, the HotAC-like AI is simpler, to be able to fit unto one card.

The first of these AI's can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/161035/flight-group-alpha-imperial-co-operative-campaign

I will update this file with more AI's once they get pass on first sanity test (first actual playtest)

1 hour ago, TreatAsRange2 said:

I think yours would win. As you say, the HotAC-like AI is simpler, to be able to fit unto one card.

The first of these AI's can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/161035/flight-group-alpha-imperial-co-operative-campaign

I will update this file with more AI's once they get pass on first sanity test (first actual playtest)

Likely the Tactical Droid will have a marked advantage when using elaborate squadrons (secondary weapons, EPT's, etc) and with asteroids. With simpler squadrons and no asteroids, the Tactical Droid leaves the original HotAC eating dust. By original HotAC I mean this one:

x-wing-pilot-ai-stat-cards-heroes-of-the

The one you are working on seems to have better maneuvering than the original HotAC.

It would be interesting to compare your latest version with the Tactical Droid (v1.1). Just for fun and understand the cost/benefit of increasing complexity.

We've run 3 (yes, 3) Heroes campaigns at my FLGS, with mostly different people playing each time. I ran the first two, then one of the guys who played the 2nd time ran the 3rd time so I could play. My ship was "Rover" a bomb-dropping TLT-firing barrel-rolling boosting Y-Wing that could ignore crits due to Chewie's pilot ability. Talk about fun!

We're starting up the Battlestar Pallas campaign, which is a ... fan-made expansion to a fan-made expansion? LOL If you liked Heroes, you might take a look.

The terrain bits from the crowd sale look awesome. I made my own stuff, but there are various things I would like to do differently if I had the time to go back and do it again. Ordering from the sale meant I don't have to worry about the time.

Started my first HotAC campaign on Tuesday with a buddy that's never played X-Wing before.  His begginer's luck carried us through, as he twice took out a TIE with a single attack.  Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the Campaign plays out, and moving on to Battle Star Pallas or Invasion.

33961025_1916306825055719_7816517690452869120_n

My biggest hope is that someone creates or updates the X-Wing ai app to 2.0.... for either Hotac, home brew coop, or solo play ....  I don’t play the pvp side of the game... and a group of 2-3 are going to try to play a couple times a month going through 1e hotac.... but I love both versions, leaning on 2.0... seems more immersive !! 

I would be willing to drop money for an updated app on my iPhone or iPad... the app makes the games run smoother and faster in my opinion.  

Will keep praying and and hoping someone or some people update this amazing part of the game.    If only ffg would do it... open up more customers who don’t or cannot do the pvp side of it!!!