Sign in to follow this  
juxstapo

:( totalbiscuit...

For whomever is video-gamey-youtubey-watchy... John Bain died of cancer at 33 tonight and that bummed me right the #!&* out.

and yea, I acknowledge the immature absurdity of being actually factually sad at the passing of someone you didn't know and with whom you had no connection beyond watching his vids; I guess respectful and regretful would make sense perhaps, but I was just straight up Sad.

This guy had a huge influence on me. The single reason I got into blood bowl, for example, thanks to his 'the basics of blood bowl' video. I've been following him for more than half a decade, starting with his old 'mailbox' format. Taught me a lot about consumer rights and how to voice critique in a respectful way. Not that I always can do that, but at least I catch myself talking nonsense more often than not. He created media I consumed in a very formative stage of my youth. I haven't watched as much of his content in the last year or two since I've fallen out of love with video games, but the Cooptional Podcast was always a good listen for me. Not many people did Youtube as professionally in with such a sound work ethic as him, he will be missed.

7 hours ago, juxstapo said:

and yea, I acknowledge the immature absurdity of being actually factually sad at the passing of someone you didn't know and with whom you had no connection beyond watching his vids...

Feeling sorrow at the death of another human whether you knew them personally or not is neither immature, nor absurd - it's empathy. Empathy is something we seem to have short supply of these days, and more of it is welcome.

Frankly, if people are telling you that empathy is absurd or immature, they are probably not great people to keep in your life.

I am really crushed to find this out.

Ever since I was 14 Ive listened to Totalbiscuit's TGS then Co-Optional podcast, nine years now. He had a profund effect on how I learned to percieve and judge things in a rational and reasonable manner. How to be ethical and deal with unethical practices. He was a role model.

In these crazy times the loss of someone as discerning and of such integrity as John Bain is catastrophic.

I'm not religious but I'm praying for his wife and kid. I hope they will eventually find some peace.

OP its okay to be sad at the passing of someone you don't know. It's not silly, it's not ridiculous, its being a caring human.