emmjay

Corran Horn, no force ability????

it seems like they mostly are putting force powers on characters that use them as a major part of their identity.  Characters like Kyle and Corran used force powers eventually, but they were already good at what they did long before they ever started using the force.

you can make other arguments based on force-using character distribution across factions or potential game balance issues if certain pilots had access to force upgrades or whatever, but I think from the designers' perspective (and possibly Disney) the intent of keeping the list down to just the essentials is all there really is to it.

Corran starred like 4 books before being force sensitive. Agree it ways heavily implied that he had some jedi connections, but the force wasn't his  defining point,it waa being a former corsec investigator.

Overall it looks like the number of force sensitive pilota will be very limited

1 hour ago, DerRitter said:

Corran starred like 4 books before being force sensitive. Agree it ways heavily implied that he had some jedi connections, but the force wasn't his  defining point,it waa being a former corsec investigator.

HIS BOOK IS CALLED "I, JEDI"!!

58 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

HIS BOOK IS CALLED "I, JEDI"!!

And it took place a year after he flew an E-Wing during the Reborn Emperor Crisis. While I would love to have seen Corran as a Force user, there is a valid reason to make this incarnation of him a regular pilot.  I'd love to see him in a Legends pack or what not in a XJ X-Wing, along with Luke, as Force users with Initiative 6. 

And technically, he starred in five books before this (Isard's Revenge is before Dark Empire), and appeared in I think two or three others. (granted, he does use the Force to sense the TIE he's fighting is droid piloted, but that's about it)

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

The game itself doesn't exist in the current canon.  If that's your argument, then those pilots shouldn't even be in the game, because they don't even exist in the current canon.  Half the ships in the game aren't canon.

Either have the game follow the canon, or don't.  If you aren't going to make EU ships and pilots have their EU attributes, then why even have them in the game?

Why don't they?  Current canon still supports people being Force-sensitive without being Jedi or Sith.

Kids are levitating brooms and ****.  You don't have to be Luke or Vader to use a force power.  What's the point of developing this entirely new gameplay mechanic if only, like, 5 characters are going to be able to use it?

Disney has to approve all this stuff. It isn't entirely up to FFG what they get to create for this game. These characters and ships were all introduced before Disney moved the EU to Legends and tightened the canon. Some of them before Disney even purchased Star Wars. They were grandfathered in.

You aren't going to get Disney approving stuff that contradicts the new canon, which a bunch of non-depicted force users would be doing. It's simple as that. I'm actually surprised they even approved the names for 2.0.

Edited by ScottieATF

14 hours ago, ScottieATF said:

I'm actually surprised they even approved the names for 2.0.

At this point I almost wish they hadn't.

If you aren't going to make the character match the actual character, what's the point of even HAVING the character?

45 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

If you aren't going to make the character match the actual character, what's the point of even HAVING the character?

Just because he had Force powers at the tail end of his books does not mean that he should have the Force in the game.  

Edited by Darth Landy

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

A cool pilot to pay homage to EU material that served as an inspiration for the orginal creators of this game.

Steele, Farlander, Horn, and Katarn all had big EU parts prior to everyone having to be a force user. Most of their piloting related exploits all occured independent of this later add-on to their character. Each had complete novels or games without them ever displaying any overt powers in the force. 

You're decrying Horns lack of force powers but seem to be completely forgetting that he spent nearly a half dozen novels and multiple comics as just a pilot with a Jedi grandfather. Those novels just so happen to be from the series this game shares a name with and the comics being where he's depicted in the ship that he's piloting in this game. You scream about his novel being I, Jedi as if he wasn't the main character of Rogue Squadron as the former CorSec investigator turned Rebel pilot. All of that years before they wrote a novel shoe horning him into the events of another novel that had already been written.

Even faithful depictions of those characters doesn't require them to have force powers because in their depiction as pilots it wasn't yet part of their character.

13 hours ago, ScottieATF said:

You're decrying Horns lack of force powers but seem to be completely forgetting that he spent nearly a half dozen novels and multiple comics as just a pilot with a Jedi grandfather.

Yes, and you also don't put the version of Luke in the game where he's still a moisture farmer.

If you're going to put a character in a game that has no specific place in a chronology, you pick the version of them that is the most interesting/capable.

Edited by DarthEnderX

4 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Yes, and you also don't put the version of Luke in the game where he's still a moisture farmer.

If you're going to put a character in a game that has no specific place in a chronology, you pick the version of them that is the most interesting/capable.

Yes and like with most of the marry-sue legends characters that time is when they are not Jedi. ****, the coolest thing Kyle Katarn ever did was  choosing to NOT be a Jedi. 

Edited by Duskwalker

18 hours ago, ScottieATF said:

You're decrying Horns lack of force powers but seem to be completely forgetting that he spent nearly a half dozen novels and multiple comics as just a pilot with a Jedi grandfather. Those novels just so happen to be from the series this game shares a name with and the comics being where he's depicted in the ship that he's piloting in this game. You scream about his novel being I, Jedi as if he wasn't the main character of Rogue Squadron as the former CorSec investigator turned Rebel pilot. All of that years before they wrote a novel shoe horning him into the events of another novel that had already been written.

Not to mention that Stackpole wrote the novel in part to point out (and try to correct) the idiocy that had occurred in some other EU novels, so he inserts Corran into the Jedi Academy (shudder) and then has him bail on that training once that particular plot idiocy is resolved. At the end of I, Jedi Corran basically decides not to be a Jedi and to go back to just being a pilot in Rogue Squadron.

I think the force-less Corran is the best Corran.  They should have put him in an X-wing, though.

18 hours ago, ScottieATF said:

Steele, Farlander, Horn, and Katarn all had big EU parts prior to everyone having to be a force user

Oh, for....since when was Keyan Farlander a jedi too?

No. My apologies.

Yeah - I have to admit that one thing that did bug me in the EU is that outside the original books absolutely everyone had to turn out to be force sensitive. I'm surprised they never felt the need to do that with Fel.

And yes, I know they did with his descendants

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Actually, the game does do this, sorta, in the sense that Luke's PS and Force ability seems to be from his early days flying for the Rebellion, and not the Jedi Knight/Master he would become.  No way in Mustafar that Grand Master Skywalker should be anything other than the top PS pilot on the board otherwise. 

On 5/28/2018 at 10:27 PM, DerRitter said:

Overall it looks like the number of force sensitive pilota will be very limited

I thought it was his wife and her ex pirate father who owned his own star destroyer.

6 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

So your citing the character who literally "uses the force" in his first appearance as a pilot as a reason why the guy who spent the absolute vast majority of his time as a pilot without the force must have force powers.

That makes as little sense as your assertion that they have to depict the character at the end of their chronology instead of you know at the point where they are actually involved in the story in the capacity and ship they are depicted as flying.

23 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

I thought it was his wife and her ex pirate father who owned his own star destroyer.

To be fair, when your father-in-law owns his own Star Destroyer, it's pretty memorable. 

Errrm guys, the Titels of the pilots ("Red Five" for Luke) indicate that FFG is planning to introduce different versions of characters at different point in time.
Corran in the E-Wing (which he flew before he became a Jedi) is explicitly called "Tenacious Investigator" further supporting that this is his pre-academy iteration.

Same goes with Kyle in the Moldy Crow. No force ability. But thats actually correct. He lost the Crow before he became a Jedi. Kyle is represented as the "Relentless Operative" he is in Dark Forces I and II.

I don't think this is an indicator of FFG only giving force points to the movie characters. Moreso it opens new ways of showing character progression and making same characters piloting different ships more balanced and diverse.
And at this point I think we'll see Corran in a future X-Wing Release (as Rogue Squadron* pack or XJ-Wing) and Kyle with the Raven's Claw.
Both things the fans are demanding for ages.

*Actually after looking through the Rebels Conversion box content this becomes even more likely.

Tycho

Wes

Keyan

Ibtisam

Hobbie

are missing. Interestingly all members of Rogue Squadron.

Edited by RogueLeader42

1 hour ago, RogueLeader42 said:

Corran in the E-Wing (which he flew before he became a Jedi) is explicitly called "Tenacious Investigator" further supporting that this is his pre-academy iteration.

Same goes with Kyle in the Moldy Crow. No force ability. But thats actually correct. He lost the Crow before he became a Jedi. Kyle is represented as the "Relentless Operative" he is in Dark Forces I and II.

Strictly, Corran was never confirmed as having flown an E-Wing at all. However, since E-Wings became more commonly used around Dark Empire and shortly after (Crimson Empire II) it seems plausible that he flew it during that period, when Rogue Squadron was dabbling in E-Wing use, right before he joined the Academy.

He knew he was Force-Sensitive before that - but hadn't received any real training. He dabbled - but it's not clear if his earliest force-uses worked. Notably, he tries to mind-trick a stormtrooper and fails miserably.

On 5/30/2018 at 2:08 PM, ScottieATF said:

So your citing the character who literally "uses the force" in his first appearance as a pilot as a reason why the guy who spent the absolute vast majority of his time as a pilot without the force must have force powers.

That makes as little sense as your assertion that they have to depict the character at the end of their chronology instead of you know at the point where they are actually involved in the story in the capacity and ship they are depicted as flying.

Actually, you are proving yourself wrong...

if we are talking about luke as "red 5", it means it's a episode 4 luke skywalker. At this point, luke only start to perceive the force and doesn't use it as a power and manage only to perceive it. At the very end, he let him self beeing guided but this is literally the end and it's a passive use of the force.

corran horn is immediatly described had a passive force user, in the very first simulator training, he shot wedge the same way luke shot the death star. 

The only difference i see is that one is legend now. 

I do hope corran, kyle and some others will be "passive force user". Meaning 0 force rating,  but the possibility to add force power. One force power could be giving +1 force rating, preventing him from taking the most powerfull force power that require to already have a fr and giving us passive force user.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:06 PM, RogueLeader42 said:

*Actually after looking through the Rebels Conversion box content this becomes even more likely.

Tycho

Wes

Keyan

Ibtisam

Hobbie

are missing. Interestingly all members of Rogue Squadron.

Interestingly, Ibitsam appears in an ARC-170 in 2nd Edition...

On 5/29/2018 at 1:55 AM, ScottieATF said:

Disney has to approve all this stuff. It isn't entirely up to FFG what they get to create for this game. These characters and ships were all introduced before Disney moved the EU to Legends and tightened the canon. Some of them before Disney even purchased Star Wars. They were grandfathered in.

You aren't going to get Disney approving stuff that contradicts the new canon, which a bunch of non-depicted force users would be doing. It's simple as that. I'm actually surprised they even approved the names for 2.0.

Disney approves nothing.

Lucasfilm approves everything.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:32 AM, Panzeh said:

Yeah, in the EU so many people got force sensitivity for some reason- I think it's the kind of thing where the protagonist eventually ends up having to do everything an SW character can do, so they all become jedi.

I read somewhere that the EU wanted to develop proxies for the main characters because they couldn't have Luke, Leia, Han and everyone else everywhere at the same time. Dash was the proxy for Han and Corran was the proxy for Luke. That's why Corran was force sensitive and eventually a Jedi.

1 hour ago, apoapsis said:

Alex Davy straight up said "this is Corran before he was a Jedi" at the Expo.

He also VERY strongly implied that there wouldn't be a version of Corran after he was a jedi.  Or of Maarek after he was Hand of the Emperor.

I'm pretty sure LFL are wanting to limit force-using characters to canon (TV and film) material at this stage.

Edited by thespaceinvader