Jump to content
Boggy Leafwater

FAQ/Rules Update, when?

Recommended Posts

Alex Davy said that it is coming soon today at the Legion tournament at the UK Games Expo. He kinda had that “yes, I realise this should probably be put already” face as he was saying it. My guess is they will be announcing something first that will need to be included and don’t want to spoil it. The two guys who won the tournament today also won a trip to a yet to be announced invite only event in the us next May. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible that all rules changes need to go through a similar vetting process to any other release, so they have to get the approval of Disney. If that is the case, then FFG probably wants to get as many changes/additions approved as possible in one go, so they don't have Legion rules changes approvals holding up approvals for new models, or approvals for other games. 

I am looking forward to having all the (current) FAQs put in one official place, instead of having to hunt down whatever latest email that might be circulating among the forums/social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the Rules Reference is still dated 26th Feb and that list of Questions and Answers does nothing to clarify the confusion over Line of Sight and Cover, which is probably the biggest single question we have to be answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Amanal said:

No, the Rules Reference is still dated 26th Feb and that list of Questions and Answers does nothing to clarify the confusion over Line of Sight and Cover, which is probably the biggest single question we have to be answered.

Check out the last post in that thread:

The paragraph of step “1. Determine Number of Obscured Minis” of the “Cover” glossary entry in the Rules Reference should read:

“The player checks line of sight from the attacker's unit leader to each mini in the defending unit. If any part of a defending mini, including its base, is blocked by a piece of terrain or another mini, the player then traces an imaginary line from the center of the base of the attacker’s unit leader to the center of the base of the defending mini. If the imaginary line crosses the piece of terrain or the base of the other mini that blocked line of sight, the defending mini is obscured. The player repeats this process for each mini in the defender to determine how many of those minis are obscured.”

The following sub point should be added under step “1. Determine Number of Obscured Minis” of the “Cover” glossary entry in the Rules Reference:

“When determining whether a piece of terrain or another mini blocks line of sight to a defending mini, if there is a clear peg separating the defending mini and its base, the clear peg and the base are not treated as a part of the mini.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another game tonight that was derailed and ultimately left unsatisfying for both players because of the lack of official update to LoS/Cover. 

I can't imagine going forward with any kind of competitive play until that gets resolved in the official rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beerasaurus said:

Yet another game tonight that was derailed and ultimately left unsatisfying for both players because of the lack of official update to LoS/Cover. 

I can't imagine going forward with any kind of competitive play until that gets resolved in the official rules.

Good news! There is an official clarification in the pinned thread on this forum!

 

Edited to remove snark, sorry.

Edited by colki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, colki said:

Good news! There is an official clarification in the pinned thread on this forum!

No, I think it made it worse. If I read your quote correctly:

I have an AT-ST behind a barricade part of the AT-ST is obstructed when I look at LOS, I then draw an imaginary line and it crossed the barricade. The AT-ST now gets heavy cover.

So now we have one more place to look, that isn't an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amanal said:

I have an AT-ST behind a barricade part of the AT-ST is obstructed when I look at LOS, I then draw an imaginary line and it crossed the barricade. The AT-ST now gets heavy cover.

It doesn’t get cover, though. Only troopers benefit from barricades. Players are expected to determine what type of cover each terrain piece provides (and to whom it’s provided) before the game. The new clarification tells how to check for obscuring. Per the RRG, after checking for obscuring you must check for what type of cover is provided. (Key words emphasized for clarity.)

1 hour ago, Amanal said:

So now we have one more place to look, that isn't an improvement.

Well, that should only be temporary. We’ll get a PDF “soon”. It’s certainly better than not having anything, I think. And at least it’s “official”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amanal said:

No, I think it made it worse. If I read your quote correctly:

I have an AT-ST behind a barricade part of the AT-ST is obstructed when I look at LOS, I then draw an imaginary line and it crossed the barricade. The AT-ST now gets heavy cover.

So now we have one more place to look, that isn't an improvement.

This isn't correct.  Probably the most important part of the cover and line of sight rules is that before the game you and your opponent are supposed to point at every piece of terrain and determine what units get cover from it. Barricades, being official, explicitly provide heavy cover to troopers only. In general, if a piece of terrain can obscure 50% or more of a mini, it should provide cover to that unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but I am not convinced that you could reach that end result with out looking at the various bits on social media, youtube, other posts here and were you to just rely on the rules and the Q&A you could still be as confused as ever and no better off for the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amanal said:

Yes, but I am not convinced that you could reach that end result with out looking at the various bits on social media, youtube, other posts here and were you to just rely on the rules and the Q&A you could still be as confused as ever and no better off for the effort.

It's spelled out plainly on page 8 of the rules reference...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Amanal said:

And yet we all did it wrong until we got the tweet about it...

Between page 8 talking about terrain, and page 22 for cover, we had a set of rules that functioned. They just lead to odd situations, like a barricade giving a trooper group 10 inches away from it cover when the attacker has a height advantage.

The clarification im the official thread gives a new and clear process to modify what is on page 22. Page 8 is still the same. Your AT-ST example doesn't work because, by default, barricades do not give cover to AT-STs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...