Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

Can we agree that in 2.0 your firing arc only extends to range 3?

7 minutes ago, tortugatron said:

If the firing arc extends forever, then it never forms an arc. Terminating the arc at range 3 does form an arc (with a flat spot in the middle). So therefore since it’s an arc, it must terminate somewhere with the shape of an actual arc, and range 3 seems like the perfect choice. In summary, I will slap anyone that says their arc extends beyond range 3. 

the 1stE ones  don't extend forever. they extend to the edge of the play area. Which can be well beyond range three. :P 

you didn't state if that would be a 1stE slap or a 2ndE slap. could be a big difference depending how hard slaps got nerfed.

Edited by PanchoX1

18 minutes ago, tortugatron said:

If the firing arc extends forever, then it never forms an arc. Terminating the arc at range 3 does form an arc (with a flat spot in the middle). So therefore since it’s an arc, it must terminate somewhere with the shape of an actual arc, and range 3 seems like the perfect choice. In summary, I will slap anyone that says their arc extends beyond range 3. 

You are right, according to SCIENCE the firing arc is range 1-3. It really is embarrassing to hear people on X-wing podcasts excited about parking Torkil in a corner to use his ability across the entire mat. No, that will be against the rules. I bet all my FO & resistance ships on this. Also, it would simply be a terrible strategy.

2 hours ago, Hylian100 said:

If his ability affected a ship in arc, and the arcs extended indefinitely, he could sit near the board edge with the Moldy Crow primary and his mobile arc lined up to pick and choose pretty much any ship.

If you’re not doing this, you’re playing wrong.

4 hours ago, Kdubb said:

If you disagree, please let me know how we are to accurately measure range beyond range 3 for abilities like this.

You know, FFG DOES produce a range ruler out to range 5...

And has ships that have firing arcs out to range 5. 

So firing arcs are not inherently limited to range 3.

And also, all you need to measure a firing arc is something with a straight edge. And I know the FFG diehards only like to use official FFG stuffs, but the rest of us usually have things like tapemeasures or measuring sticks laying around which you can accurately use to measure an arc out to... I dunno... five or six metres?

3 hours ago, gjnido said:

I say it extends beyond the board edge. So if there is a ship in Soontir’s bulleye arc in an adjacent table he still gets his focus token. 

But I am willing to accept state lines as a limit in range. 

*steps away from table* 

“Hey Joe, can you make sure this guy I’m playing doesn’t do anything shady? I’m pretty sure there is another game store about 15 blocks south of here. Think Soontir might be catching something in his bullseye over there. I’ll be back in 30.”

5 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

*steps away from table* 

“Hey Joe, can you make sure this guy I’m playing doesn’t do anything shady? I’m pretty sure there is another game store about 15 blocks south of here. Think Soontir might be catching something in his bullseye over there. I’ll be back in 30.”

"I'll need every range ruler we can find."

There is the possibility that "in firing arc" depends on the weapon system being used, with primary firing arcs being defined as range 1-3. (Range 0 seems to require special mention for most abilities, after all).

I'm also curious as to exactly what constitutes being "in your firing arc" - the HWK-290 has a primary mobile arc by default, but with the Moldy Crow Title gains a primary front arc. Would anything in either the mobile arc or the front arc count for Jan Ors' ability?

Are you guys seriously discussing this? I want to leave this place behind but I have to post here. All right, as nicely as I can because this really is a stretch for any real logic, this isn’t something that should have to be stated so here goes anyway.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:30 PM, JediRush24 said:

Can I shoot at you this round? Pilot ability works. Can I not shoot you this round? Pilot ability does not come into play. 

This right here is the definition of firing arc. Your primary weapon, outside epic, has a range of 3 max. Period. Done. There is no discussion, outside range 3 is out of range of the weapon. To FIRE within that arc you must be at maximum range 3, that is a non negotiable rule. If you can not fire on something in that arc it may be in your “FIELD OF VISION” but it is not in your firing arc. Jesus guys, firing arcs end at range 3 how can you even debate that with a straight face?

On 5/24/2018 at 10:30 PM, JediRush24 said:

This is the tie adv. prototype and 'aggresor' titles all over again.  

Word

Edited by LordFajubi

On 5/24/2018 at 10:59 PM, __underscore__ said:

Having looked through the reddit compiled document, not a single one of them says that.

Dace Bonearm

11 hours ago, Freeptop said:

There is the possibility that "in firing arc" depends on the weapon system being used, with primary firing arcs being defined as range 1-3. (Range 0 seems to require special mention for most abilities, after all).

I'm also curious as to exactly what constitutes being "in your firing arc" - the HWK-290 has a primary mobile arc by default, but with the Moldy Crow Title gains a primary front arc. Would anything in either the mobile arc or the front arc count for Jan Ors' ability?

that could be legit...  clarification will be needed for that because if it is out your firing arc you have selected...holy crap am I going to be even happier with Jan Ors than I already am. 

From the 1E Rules Reference:

FIRING ARC

A ship’s primary firing arc is the area formed by extending the firing arc lines printed on the front of the ship’s token. A firing arc extends across the play area. A ship is inside a firing arc if any part of its base falls inside the area formed by extending the firing-arc lines.

Emphasis, mine. I think @skotothalamos said it best in the beginning, you just use another ruler to extend it just like they do with the range 1-5 ruler. Its not rocket science exact, but this game has always just been a beer and pretzle game where people nudge ships around then pretend its all about exact measuring. 

Of course, that 1E rules, they may change it, but that would be an assumption and we should operate with the known rules. 

PS, those of you making jokes about Soontir measuring off the board missed the chance to make everyone in the room/world/visible universe with LRS Target Lock Kagi.

It's about the play area, guys.

Edit: Also, in the FAQ when there is an example of "In arc at range X" they extend the firing arc lines past the limit of the range ruler in the image. So, "in arc" extends independently of range.

Edited by kris40k

On 5/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Kdubb said:

If you disagree, please let me know how we are to accurately measure range beyond range 3 for abilities like this.

jNe58Ng.jpg

How about this, we can agree that if it is off the table, then it is out of range.

But yes if we are talking about arcs, out of range is out of arc.

Edited by Marinealver

Player 1: Corran locks Vader.

Player 2: What are you talking about? I don't have Vader in my list!

Player 1: He's on the next table.

Player 2: What? You can't do that!

Player 1: Sure I can. Corran's Experimental Scanners can acquire locks beyond range three. That's beyond range three.  So I'm locking Vader.

Player 2: OK, even if I accept that's within the rules, why would you lock a ship on the next table?

Player 1: I'm getting a jump on pairings for next round.

Spoiled Card!

Major Rhymer [TIE Bomber]

"The expensive one"

"When measuring in arc, of course it is 0-3. Not even the Allmightly Major can change that.  

During the Listbuilding Phase, when you add this Pilot to your list, add 10 points"

AMA: "FB: This is an easy one: yes. Since the only measuring tools provided by the game are the range ruler and the maneuver templates, rather than constantly restating “inside your (firing) arc at range 0–3” (since a firing arc can’t be measured with those components beyond the range ruler), we just put a rule in that says measuring inside your arc goes to the end of the range ruler (i.e. up to range 3)."