Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

6 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Star Wars has always had a horrible dark side to it. ROTJ shows that slavery is a thing on backwater worlds, and not even really something that is a shock to anyone. Anakin was a slave, along with other children, and the Jedi didn't even seem to care. There has always been this rather notable divide between those people at the top and in power vs those who have to live in the dregs of the galaxy. 

Yes Tatooine is a backwater, lawless planet.  I expect those things on the fringe of civilisation, as we see on our own planet.  I never thought Correlia, what I considered a wealthy core world, to have degenerated to the level of an outer rim world so quickly.  I can only think of two reasons for this

1. The Republic was a useless form of government that didn’t enforce it laws, even on core worlds, over a millennium of existence and/or
  2. The Empire in less than a decade or so managed to dismantle all the Republic’s work - perhaps with Sidious in charge this was possible 

Maybe I’m a naive optimist to think it.  Perhaps Star Trek is more my thing ? 

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Ya'll know L3-37 was basically self aware humor on their part right? Like everybody in the film was tired of her crap. That was great.

You could say the same about Jar Jar in TPM.

13 hours ago, Dwing said:

I really like we did not see who or on which planet the Empire was fighting, it was kind of the point to show how the Empire acts om any given planet. 

And this is something I’d love to see explored in a movie of its own. I’d like to see the battles from the eyes of several Imperials. Kind of a Band of Brothers / Saving Private Ryan style movie. 

1 minute ago, drail14me said:

And this is something I’d love to see explored in a movie of its own. I’d like to see the battles from the eyes of several Imperials. Kind of a Band of Brothers / Saving Private Ryan style movie. 

That would be awesome. It would be grat as a mini series. 

OK, so I've slept on it, thought about it a bit more and I'm still a big fan.  Were there things that could have been done a little differently, or that might not have quite hit the mark?  Sure.  But that ain't a problem for me.  The list of things I enjoyed heavily outweighs the list of things I struggled with.

Maul reveal (and unnecessary lightsaber ignition) aside, I felt that most of the callbacks to the original trilogy were well handled, and a bit more subtle than they were in Rogue One.

One of my criticisms from seeing the promo trailers was lack of Original Trilogy aliens; well, I'm glad to see that was addressed. Rodians, Twi'leks and Gran all make an appearance, and I was really pleased to see Two Tubes back.

I was glad to see a Star Wars film focusing on the criminal underworld as well, and not Empire-centric.  In fact, the Imperial presence in the film was amazing.  They were clearly struggling to impose Imperial rule - hence the battle on Mimban and people taking clear advantage of the conflict, and the gangs on Corellia really not caring too much about crossing them.  The gangs chasing Han and Qi'ra right into the customs checkpoint despite the Imperial presence was amazing.

L3-37... OK, the character was entirely too self-referential.  The jokes fell a bit flat.  The "Equal rights" punchline prompted utter silence in the cinema.  BUT - it wasn't really played for laughs .  As @Captain Lackwit pointed out, the rest of the cast were all pretty exasperated by the character, although Lando clearly had a strong attachment to the droid.

Enfys Nest and her Marauders... a precursor to Saw's Partisans, maybe?

2 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Two days in its made 32 mil world wide it's probably not going to make 100 mil on its opening weekend despite being 4 days, it's bombed justice league style.

That's not good.

2 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Definitely not.

It's absurd that people are not seeing it due to reviews. A 7 on average is not bad. 

If it succeeds they will make a sequel  and it'll supposedly heavily feature Bossk

I really, really, really want to see what Disney could do with a character like Bossk.  With modern practical and CGI-enhanced effects.  After the scrap between Han and Chewie, could you imagine a full-on hand-to-hand fight scene between Chewie and Bossk?

Chewie getting stuck in was one of the highlights of Solo for me.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

It's certainly not down to the quality of the film.

Nope Disney has not marketed this movie at all, which goes to show they really can't judge their own material. SOLO was not perfect, but it was really entertaining and enjoyable. 

Edited by Dwing

2 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I really, really, really want to see what Disney could do with a character like Bossk.  With modern practical and CGI-enhanced effects.  After the scrap between Han and Chewie, could you imagine a full-on hand-to-hand fight scene between Chewie and Bossk?

Chewie getting stuck in was one of the highlights of Solo for me.

It would be glorious!

Chewie finally ripped someone's arms off and in a way that didn't feel forced. 

Chewie getting to fight bare handed like that is something that's been missing in all the other films. He's either shot or intimidated his way through everything.

5 minutes ago, Forresto said:

It would be glorious!

Chewie finally ripped someone's arms off and in a way that didn't feel forced. 

Chewie getting to fight bare handed like that is something that's been missing in all the other films. He's either shot or intimidated his way through everything.

Pretty much my own feelings, right there.  Seeing Chewie live up to his reputation was great.  Now let's see how some of ESB's bounty hunters other than Boba got their reputation!

It was fun, I enjoyed it.

That said this movie explains to much about Han and makes him less special. 

And I really dont like Star Wars Rebels and wish it would keep its distance.

Feels like its connection to Solo exists mainly to set up a live action Rebels movie.

Edited by Boom Owl

IMO the big problem was Han being altruistic all the way through- it would've worked better if he had basically learned Beckett's lessons by the end of the movie and ended up as jaded as he was, instead of just being the same person.  It makes no sense for someone who believed enough to give the stuff to these marauders to then decide 'you know what, these gangsters in tatooine seem like a good idea'

7 minutes ago, Panzeh said:

IMO the big problem was Han being altruistic all the way through- it would've worked better if he had basically learned Beckett's lessons by the end of the movie and ended up as jaded as he was, instead of just being the same person.  It makes no sense for someone who believed enough to give the stuff to these marauders to then decide 'you know what, these gangsters in tatooine seem like a good idea'

Han likes the adventure, but was clearly not ready to be a soldier at the time. Just came out of the trenches, doesn’t want to go back in them.

2 minutes ago, Tbetts94 said:

Han likes the adventure, but was clearly not ready to be a soldier at the time. Just came out of the trenches, doesn’t want to go back in them.

Maybe, but it feels like we're already at RotJ Han with marauders asking him to be a leader- the only real reason for him to turn them down is that he needs to get to tatooine and get the falcon.  It doesn't really fit with the rest of the movie.  But then, I think the last 30 minutes doesn't really fit with the rest of the movie.

I can buy a starry-eyed altruistic Han getting in with Beckett's crew, getting double-crossed, having to kill Beckett by shooting him first, and then ending up being a jaded scoundrel at the end.  I don't really buy what actually played out in the last 30 minutes of the movie.

51 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

It was fun, I enjoyed it.

That said this movie explains to much about Han and makes him less special. 

And I really dont like Star Wars Rebels and wish it would keep its distance.

Feels like its connection to Solo exists mainly to set up a live action Rebels movie.

As one who really has not seen a lot of Rebels, what is the big connection here? Besides Han claiming to have a VCX-100?

7 minutes ago, Dwing said:

As one who really has not seen a lot of Rebels, what is the big connection here? Besides Han claiming to have a VCX-100?

There is Maul but that's a connection more to Clone Wars.

There's also whispers of Rebellion but it could be any of the hundreds of little rebellions throughout the galaxy, from Ryloth to Saw Gerrera. This is ten years before A New Hope and five years before Rebels so not even close to a direct connection. 

That's about it. 

I don't know what the other guy was on about them setting up a Rebels movie.

Edited by Forresto

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

Definitely not.

It's absurd that people are not seeing it due to reviews. A 7 on average is not bad. 

If it succeeds they will make a sequel  and it'll supposedly heavily feature Bossk.

7 for critics it's average from viewers is more like a 5.

You know what sold me on the movie, this exchange of dialogue between Han and Lando when they first met. 

Lando: Han (A pronounced like in Hand)

Han: Its Han (A pronounced like in Lawn)

Then Moments later.

Han: What is this, Sabacc? (A pronounced like in Lawn)

Lando: Sabacc (A pronounced like in Hand)

~

They insult each other by flipping pronunciation of things that are both sources of pride for each man, for Han that's his name, for Lando that's his gambling. Maybe i'm reading too much into it but that is clever writing.

Han and Lando are so well written in this film in a way that might take another viewing to totally absorb. 

~

1 hour ago, Hobojebus said:

7 for critics it's average from viewers is more like a 5.

That's why I hate, numerical ratings, they have no place in analysis of film.

Its lazy at worst and ambiguous at best.

How do you boil the complexity of art, of a project that has so many aspects and years of production down to a single, cold digit?