Jump to content
Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Secession is a completely different thing, many modern Earth countries operate the same way. America is a bad example because it acts like world police delivering democracy all over the globe, which you want Republic to do on a galactic scale, but let's say Spain - Catalonia isn't allowed to leave, yet Spain doesn't have any obligation to conquer African countries or North Korea and free them from dictatures.

Sure the poorest of poor aren't affected as much by the system change, but yoy can't jut slam a fat "==" between the Republic and the Empire just because the Republic wasn't perfect in every single aspect.

Sure I can, to me they are basically the same and I see no evidence showing me otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Sure I can, to me they are basically the same and I see no evidence showing me otherwise.

Authoritarianism? Genocides? Secret police? Constant wars and occupations? Torturing and killing prisoners, including political prisoners? Cooperation with cirme sindicates, not only not-helping the poorest, like the Republic, but actively making their lives worse? Have you seen any Star Wars movie, or Rebels? EDIT State-sanctioned slavery, how could I forget?

Edited by eMeM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Authoritarianism? Genocides? Secret police? Constant wars and occupations? Torturing and killing prisoners, including political prisoners? Cooperation with cirme sindicates, not only not-helping the poorest, like the Republic, but actively making their lives worse? Have you seen any Star Wars movie, or Rebels? EDIT State-sanctioned slavery, how could I forget?

Because i believe this was all still the case under the republic based on what i have seen.

The Jedi were the secret police, and literally used mind control on people to get what they needed and where they needed to go. They happily accepted an entire army of brainwashed slaves in order to go fight and die for them.

The republic was just as bad if not worse, at least the empire does not use slave armies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shared my opinions in the other threads, but since this is spoilery, here goes:

L3 was annoying

Lando was.... well, he was in the movie.

the Falcon getting trashed was cool

Han shooting first was a nice touch

The movie tried way too hard in some scenes to do the "unexpected," but telegraphed its intentions so hard even Chirrut Îmwe could see them coming.

The battle on Mimban was poorly done.  No explanation, not definable tactics, no glimpse of the enemy, no background.  While that's fine for Han to not have a clue (soldiers often know less than people watching CNN about what's going on), as a member of the audience, it kinda reflected the whole trend of the movie to just drop into different scenes, and hope we could figure it all out as we went along. 

Best scene in the movie, and one of two I actually want to see followed up on, was Maul's reveal.  I'd love to see him interact with more OT characters, and maybe we'll get the Vader/Maul fight we've all been wanting since 1999, and explain how Maul ended up alone and back to hating the Sith from being a crime lord. 

Overall: 5/10  

Better than The Last Jedi by far.  Nothing overly dumb, but nothing overly outstanding either. 

Edited by Alpha17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Because i believe this was all still the case under the republic based on what i have seen.

The Jedi were the secret police, and literally used mind control on people to get what they needed and where they needed to go. They happily accepted an entire army of brainwashed slaves in order to go fight and die for them.

The republic was just as bad if not worse, at least the empire does not use slave armies.

k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I strongly disliked the Maul reveal because it didn't make sese in the movie.

I would strongly have preferred one of the marauders to have been Saw, as it would have allowed them to cut a lot of extraneous dialogue from them.

The Han shooting first scene would've been better-earned had his gf betrayed him to his face beforehand and Harrelson pretty much been proved right all along, leading into a jaded Han.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, back from the cinema, had a good time.

Highlights for me:

Seeing Chewbacca pwning fools (and also Han).

Lando.  Donald Glover was spot on, I could happily see him in that role again and again.

The rail heist.

The character and set design, like Rogue One, were top notch.

Aiden Ehrenreich was fine as young Han.  Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, Paul Bettany and Emilia Clarke all did well in their roles, although some (Dryden, Val especially) could have done with a bit more screen time.  Some of the (L3) comedy didn't stick the landing, and while there weren't an amazing amount of standout moments, it was a fun, enjoyable romp.

7.5-8 out of ten for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real question: did Lando actually own the Millennium Falcon? Because that whole deal with cutting the gate to the ship yard, and removing the parking boot, combined with Lando's hidden cheat card all led me to believe that the Falcon wasn't actually his. But then it was full of all his capes, which is really my only clue that it actually belonged to him. Did they mention why it was impounded?

Edited by Parakitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

I shared my opinions in the other threads, but since this is spoilery, here goes:

L3 was annoying

Lando was.... well, he was in the movie.

the Falcon getting trashed was cool

Han shooting first was a nice touch

The movie tried way too hard in some scenes to do the "unexpected," but telegraphed its intentions so hard even Chirrut Îmwe could see them coming.

The battle on Mimban was poorly done.  No explanation, not definable tactics, no glimpse of the enemy, no background.  While that's fine for Han to not have a clue (soldiers often know less than people watching CNN about what's going on), as a member of the audience, it kinda reflected the whole trend of the movie to just drop into different scenes, and hope we could figure it all out as we went along. 

Best scene in the movie, and one of two I actually want to see followed up on, was Maul's reveal.  I'd love to see him interact with more OT characters, and maybe we'll get the Vader/Maul fight we've all been wanting since 1999, and explain how Maul ended up alone and back to hating the Sith from being a crime lord. 

Overall: 5/10  

Better than The Last Jedi by far.  Nothing overly dumb, but nothing overly outstanding either. 

I really like we did not see who or on which planet the Empire was fighting, it was kind of the point to show how the Empire acts om any given planet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Real question: did Lando actually own the Millennium Falcon? Because that whole deal with cutting the gate to the ship yard, and removing the parking boot, combined with Lando's hidden cheat card all led me to believe that the Falcon wasn't actually his. But then it was full of all his capes, which is really my only clue that it actually belonged to him. Did they mention why it was impounded?

He was broke, his ship impounded. Probably failed to pay all the landing bay fee's.

That is why he took the deal to go along and was willing to be negotiated down he needed the money. Probably why he was cheating, tried being a gambling man lost a lot of money owed a lot of people was trying to lie and steal his way out of massive debt. Landos character was so well constructed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it with my wife this afternoon.  Less than 10 other people in the theater besides us.  Two boys under age 10 probably, and the rest all people 60+ I'm guessing.

It was enjoyable, if predictable sometimes.  Score was kinda weak, but might need to listen to it more.  Also wasn't a fan of how so many scenes were either in the dark or very overcast places.  

It's definitely not one of my top star wars films, might even end up at the bottom eventually.  Even though it has a more interesting plot than TFA, TFA seems to have more repeat viewing value at least.  My wife who's not even a casual fan, though she doesn't mind watching the movies though this one was easily her least favorite.  She thought it was kinda boring.

I did love all the little nods to the fans they did though, similar to rogue one.  VCX-100, Felucia, Scariff, Bossk, Aurra Sing, and of course the biggest one of all, Maul himself.

Also unless I misinterpreted the scene, did they change the canon for the DL-44 now?  It looked like Beckett was taking apart a rilfe to covert it into a pistol.  

Unless they decide to make a THIRD falcon model, no new ships to add to X-wing from the movie with the one exception of the new TIE model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Icelom said:

Sure I can, to me they are basically the same and I see no evidence showing me otherwise.

So Republic = Dictatorship?  I don't remember that from my Civics class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw it an hour ago, honestly I didn't hate it but it wasn't really all that memorable to me. If I had to liken it to anything, it was like eating wheat bread. I enjoyed the set design, liked seeing some older aliens there and man is Two Tubes just the best new alien design or what? It started off fairly strong, and I was getting invested with Han on Corellia and him leaving it but as we got to Mimbam it started to lose me a bit. Han was okay but meh, Lando was great I'd be willing to see more of him, liked Chewie's intro and I found L3 rather annoying.  Like she was just way TOO on the nose, like it would have just been better to treat it like IG-88 and just getting to droid revolution/freedom rather than shaming waving droid right in others faces. I was not sad at all seeing her shot, but I did like the look of the droids on Kessel and thought the one that she freed first was more enjoyable for the little bit of time it was on screen. Also, what was up with the whole her talking about Lando being in love with her? That felt really unneeded. 

Liked the small nods to lore stuff like Aura Sing, though Maul felt a bit eh probably cause it was spoiled for me. And to be honest, I liked him more in Rebels, especially when he was introduced at the end of season 2. Still it felt a bit like a paint by the number film, had to show Han getting his blaster, meeting Chewie, playing Sabac, winning the Falcon etc... At least they didn't show him getting his vest or pants. 

TLDR: Not bad, not good and pretty forgettable with Lando being good and L3 being annoying. 

21 hours ago, Sasajak said:

This film has changed what the Star Wars universe means to me.  It is a much darker and depressing galaxy than I ever imagined - poverty, slavery, oppression in abundance.  What gets me is these things seem deeply grained and haven’t happened since the rise of the Empire.  So what were the Jedi or Republic doing for 1,000 years?  Quite why the Rebellion formed with the aim of restoring the Republic is now beyond me.  It appears it was just a less bad Empire for the masses - is the Alliance based on proganda and lies?  This film had no “hope” in it and left me feeling depressed.  Maybe that was the point?  Or maybe I’m too idealistic?

As a movie it’s OK.  There’s some good laughs sprinkled in, the droid stole the show (again the droids act better than most their human counterparts) and I liked the linkage with the rest of the universe.  Lando was a real highlight for me.  Brilliantly acted and scripted.

I didn’t like the Han shot first sequence.  He came over a too ruthless for me.  Unlike the cantina scene where he is backed into a corner, here I felt there were options other than a cold blooded killing.  I know why they did it but didn’t like it.

Of course this is my perspective.  I really love Rogue One, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.  This one didn’t rock my boat.  I’m not into the scum side of the universe so there’s an obstacle there.  I found it to be just average comic book style film.  If you’re into scum I can see why you’d like it more.

Hope I’ve not offended anyone who enjoyed it.  I’ve tried to be measured and tempered in my thoughts.  I didn’t hate the film but it could’ve been so much more.

Star Wars has always had a horrible dark side to it. ROTJ shows that slavery is a thing on backwater worlds, and not even really something that is a shock to anyone. Anakin was a slave, along with other children, and the Jedi didn't even seem to care. There has always been this rather notable divide between those people at the top and in power vs those who have to live in the dregs of the galaxy. 

20 hours ago, eMeM said:

Yup, the two tubes.

Somehow related, I'm happy to see familiar aliens in the background, like Twi'leks and Rodians. For some bizzare reason the sequels, despite aping the OT in most aspects, decided to completely ditch the old aliens, nice that at least anthology movies are happening in the same universe.

Definitely, would love to see more Two Tubes aliens, they look really great!

19 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

You didn't see Cloud Atlas then? Or even Vallerian?

Both meh, and god was Vallerian just horrible! It had some interesting ideas, like the whole mall thing and I did rather really like the intro with the space station getting bigger and meeting the aliens but the leads had no chemistry at all!

13 hours ago, Skitchx said:

Well, it was infinitely better than Episodes 1-3.  I recommend seeing it in the theatres it was a fun, solid movie.

Eh, at least the prequels made me feel something. Granted, partly nostalgia, but Episode 1 has the Maul fight and the multiple battle fronts and 3 has the rather emotional order 66 scene. I really feel that the scores to the new Star Wars films have been weaker even if I do enjoy Rogue One's and Rey's theme. 

7 hours ago, Panzeh said:

I strongly disliked the Maul reveal because it didn't make sese in the movie.

I do find it amusing that they had to have him call his lightsaber to him and activate it to show that it was a dual blades lightsaber as if to remind the audience since it made little sense otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen it, and I stand by my predictions. "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is disservice in the form of too much fan service. The most important moments in Solo were better as vague references from the OT, better left to the imagination than exposed for the benefit of the unimaginative. We lost something in Solo that we will never get back.

That being said, we gained some good things in the process. The good gain does not outweigh the great loss. As a Star Wars story, Solo is good, but I will never stop wishing they told a new Star Wars story instead of a formulaic franchise prequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went in extremely cynical, both from a serious break up a few days ago and no enthusiasm for the concept of a Han Solo origin film. I couldn't have been in a worse, less receptive mood. 

I absolutely loved it. There are some rough spots, unusual number of terribly written lines, and jokes that don't fall right but there are so many great scenes and aspects that more then make up for it. I'm more then pleased.

There are so many subtle and not so subtle references to canon that it feels like the first view into normal life in the Star Wars universe.

Pluses:

-Han Shot first!

-Alden as Han and Glover as Lando. More please.

-Designs are inspired, Enfy's Nest looks incredible.

-Great references, only a couple out of a hundred or so felt overly fanservicey. Most felt super awesome as an EU fan.

-Excellent set pieces and action sequences.

-Corellia and all the planets were well characterized and interesting unlike the rather boring locations of say TFA.

-The Battle of Mimban was great! I'm glad we only saw so much because what they were fighting didn't actually matter.

Minuses:

-Sloppy introductory text. Please just use a crawl. Nothing else works or is as smooth.

-Planet names ala Rogue One might've helped know where we are but I respect the styalistic choice.

-Felt like it was missing some context shots. Did Han win the Falcon using Lando's little device? 

-Some lines are cringey and others uneccesarily expository. Not a lot of them but when they hit they stick out.

-L33T, I don't hate her character but I think they could've made her more 3-dimensional then such a caricature. 

-Maul. This is a hard one. I don't hate his inclusion but seemed uneccesary and it must be confusing to someone not following the lore. Last time film watchers saw him his body halves falling down a pit.

~

Solo isnt an incredible film but it's above average and definitely enjoyable. If it says anything, I would love a Han Solo Trilogy.

My ranking is as follows:

4>5>RO>8>3>S>6>7>1>2

Edited by Forresto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back. I loved it, overall!

I walked away from the film not hating Han, Lando, or Chewie so i'll take that as a plus.

They resolved most of the major plot points, but left it open to a sequel, which I really think isn't needed. I'd rather have a comic or novel about the Kira/Darth Maul relationship.

The Kessel Run and the Maw are back, and not ruined like I thought they would be. After seeing the trailer with the tentacle monster I thought they had completely destroyed the canon surrounding the run, but they were actually pretty faithful to the EU so it gets a pass. Leaves room to get the TIE Phantom back into canon at a future date. Also the tied pod (TIE/Brute). 

The Maul reference was nice throw in, although I feel it's going to confuse the average movie goer who doesn't care for the Clone Wars or Rebels cartoon.

I enjoyed the references, they were a bit over the top, but most of them were subtle enough they didn't ruin the movie.

I wasn't really a fan of L3, they seemed to try to hard with her to just be a female K-2SO. I'm glad they didn't have her go full HAL or GLADOS when her data got uploaded into the Falcon. Kind of sad that no one remembers to make data backups in star wars (Poor lando). 

 Alden Ehrenreich gave a believeable performance. He really had the mannerisms down, even if the voice was off. Not the actor some wanted, but I wasn't disappointed with his performance.

Donald Glover absolutely killed it as Lando though. Perfection.

Closing thoughts: Overall, 7/10. I enjoyed the movie immensely, even though it follows the formula, although I am extremely happy it follows the formula(even though it's basically a mad max plot... or it could be). It also being a prequel, we don't need it to get to crazy, but they still throw in some surprises along the way. I believe this is also why Rogue One works extremely well. Now will Solo hold up as well as Rogue One? Eh, probably not, partly because we're dealing with main story line characters. But will it still hold up overall? I think Yes. I am also inclined to think is why Disney should stick to the formula when telling stories around the main OT characters, as Solo comes out (In my honest opinion) much better than the mess of a film they made with the last Jedi. 

Now the hard part is saying... what's next? I'm sure there will be at least one more anthology film between Episode 9 and whatever trilogy (Probably Rian Johnsons... bleck). And it's quite possible there won't be one. Of course rumors of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan abound, but given the box office weekend of Solo, if the numbers don't improve Disney will probably go to a more obscure character if they bother with another anthology film at all. At this point I could see "Rogue two" (they won't call it that), or my absolute pipe dream, a top gun movie but with X-wings. (Or TIE fighters, you know what actually, I wouldn't mind an imperial centric anthology film for a change.)

As for X-wing, I'll expect we'll get the TIE/Brute and the Kessel run Falcon in 2.0 at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really worried Solo is going to do poorly. It's better then most Marvel or non Pixar Disney films. 

It's receiving a lot of the Last Jedi flak carrying over. 

I know a lot of people aren't going over middling reviews that are mostly either angry fans on RT boycotting Kathleen Kennedy, or critics who aren't necessarily the target audience, which is the long time fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fun movie!  I’ve spent enough battles trying to defend TLJ and TFA, both having some issues. (Marry Poppins).  Even Rogue 1 had a awkward start to it.  Solo was just.... it was fun, dark, gritty, scoundrel-ly.  

 

My rank:

ESB

ANH

RTOJ

SOLO

Rogue 1

TLJ

ROTS

TFA

AOTC

TPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

I found L3 rather annoying.  Like she was just way TOO on the nose, like it would have just been better to treat it like IG-88 and just getting to droid revolution/freedom rather than shaming waving droid right in others faces. I was not sad at all seeing her shot, but I did like the look of the droids on Kessel and thought the one that she freed first was more enjoyable for the little bit of time it was on screen. Also, what was up with the whole her talking about Lando being in love with her? That felt really unneeded. 

Now this is an interesting point because several people have voiced the same opinion. For myself- I loved the character. I feel her "over the top-ness" set her apart from K2-SO or C-3PO. She had an agenda...and a kind of messed up processor. It's the kind of attitude that manifests when a droid's memory isn't wiped regularly (according to Legends), as we see in R2-D2's personality. And then this pushy, salty, determined brain gets merged with the Falcon computer. Remember when she hits her head when her speech slurred/froze? That's a call back to when Han hit the door frame of the cockpit entrance in Empire Strikes Back. So perfect! The Millennium Falcon is essentially possessed by a zealot, which is weird but kind of cool. I feel like if she was any less eccentric, I wouldn't be sold that the Millennium Falcon computer should be as weird as it appears in the original trilogy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Now this is an interesting point because several people have voiced the same opinion. For myself- I loved the character. I feel her "over the top-ness" set her apart from K2-SO or C-3PO. She had an agenda...and a kind of messed up processor. It's the kind of attitude that manifests when a droid's memory isn't wiped regularly (according to Legends), as we see in R2-D2's personality. And then this pushy, salty, determined brain gets merged with the Falcon computer. Remember when she hits her head when her speech slurred/froze? That's a call back to when Han hit the door frame of the cockpit entrance in Empire Strikes Back. So perfect! The Millennium Falcon is essentially possessed by a zealot, which is weird but kind of cool. I feel like if she was any less eccentric, I wouldn't be sold that the Millennium Falcon computer should be as weird as it appears in the original trilogy.

I just think it was a bit on the nose with everything going on nowdays. She felt more activist than doer, if that makes any sense despite the fact she frees the droids and goes and sets up a whole prison escape/break thing with the droids and slaves. When she was shot/destroyed I didn't even really feel anything unlike K2 who I felt for (granted comedy create more positive association with characters). L3 is probably the first film droid character that I don't actually care for.

And we do hear in the film that Lando would have wiped her memory if not for the navigational chart data in her databanks. I'm glad you liked her and the film, she just wasn't my cup of tea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forresto said:

I'm really worried Solo is going to do poorly. It's better then most Marvel or non Pixar Disney films. 

It's receiving a lot of the Last Jedi flak carrying over. 

I know a lot of people aren't going over middling reviews that are mostly either angry fans on RT boycotting Kathleen Kennedy, or critics who aren't necessarily the target audience, which is the long time fans.

Two days in its made 32 mil world wide it's probably not going to make 100 mil on its opening weekend despite being 4 days, it's bombed justice league style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...