Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

5 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I had a lot of fun. I clapped twice: once for Teräs Käsi, and once for...I can't even remember. Guess I'll have to see it again.

I remembered what it was: Han lying about owning a VCX-100, and Lando's acute interest in that ship. Very nice nod to Star Wars: Rebels.

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

Honestly, this is the first Star Wars movie released in my lifetime that I haven't had any urge to see in theaters.  If some friends went, I'd join them, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I just haven't heard anything about it good enough to compel me not to just wait until it comes out on video.

Well, it was infinitely better than Episodes 1-3.  I recommend seeing it in the theatres it was a fun, solid movie.

3 minutes ago, eMeM said:

They left a couple of obvious sequel hooks - Jabba hiring for a job, and of course Qira and Maul.

There are some solid rumours about a Boba Fett movie in the works - I wouldn't be surprised if it involves Han and Boba on Jabba's paycheck going against Maul's sindicate.

I read they just signed on James Mangold to direct.  No more rumors.  Just a matter of time now.

I liked it a lot, don't get me wrong.

But I didn't love it.

It was fine.  It was serviceable.  It was definitely Star Wars, and it was visually interesting, and entertaining.  Good performances, good script, good jokes, good effects, but just...lacking something.  My gut feel is that there were one or two too many capers, and we kept having characters introduced for a few minutes then killed off, who would have been way more interesting if they were given time to develop.

So yeah, definitely worth seeing, and definitely not disappointing, but could have been better.  A solid B+

7 minutes ago, Skitchx said:

Well, it was infinitely better than Episodes 1-3.  I recommend seeing it in the theatres it was a fun, solid movie.

Part of it is that I just don't go to the movies that often anyway.  If I were going to the theater and just trying to decide which movie to see, Solo would probably rank pretty high.  But it just doesn't have the appeal to draw me in to a special trip just for it.

Of course, I also haven't really seen any of the trailers or anything, so all I've really seen of it are the movie posters with Guy-Who-Kinda-Looks-Like-Young-Billy-Dee-Williams and Guy-Who-In-No-Way-Resembles-Harrison-Ford, but all the same, I'm happy waiting until it comes out on Blu-Ray and I can borrow it from my library.  I'm glad other people are enthusiastic about it, and again, I'm sure I'll like it when I do eventually see it, but "like" and "get excited about" aren't the same thing.

Now, make a movie about Wedge, and I'm there!

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

I liked it a lot, don't get me wrong.

But I didn't love it.

It was fine.  It was serviceable.  It was definitely Star Wars, and it was visually interesting, and entertaining.  Good performances, good script, good jokes, good effects, but just...lacking something.  My gut feel is that there were one or two too many capers, and we kept having characters introduced for a few minutes then killed off, who would have been way more interesting if they were given time to develop.

So yeah, definitely worth seeing, and definitely not disappointing, but could have been better.  A solid B+

Perhaps it's that there was not a lot of mystery to what happens to Han, Chewie and Lando.  No real suspense there because you know what happens with them.

I liked the twist at the end with Qi'ra.

Just now, Skitchx said:

Perhaps it's that there was not a lot of mystery to what happens to Han, Chewie and Lando.  No real suspense there because you know what happens with them.

I do know this can be a common issue with prequels.  You already know some of who lives and who dies, and what happens to them, so the mystery is lost.  (The prequel trilogy suffered a bit from this.)  That doesn't mean you can't make good prequels; just that you have to make them hold interest differently from how the originals did.

9 minutes ago, Skitchx said:

I liked the twist at the end with Qi'ra.

That's definitely part of it.  It's why I would have preferred to stay with Val and ... I had to look up Rio and I KNEW I knew that voice.. Rio, rather than switching them out.  There was more story there that would have been more interesting than stuff we knew.

36 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Honestly, this is the first Star Wars movie released in my lifetime that I haven't had any urge to see in theaters.  If some friends went, I'd join them, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I just haven't heard anything about it good enough to compel me not to just wait until it comes out on video.

It was fantastic. I'm going to go see it again tonight.

My thoughts:

It was really good. So much fun. full of nostalgia. Some of the absolute best music variations on classic trilogy themes yet. Great stuff. Most of the fan service Easter eggs were very... subtitle subtle in there presentation. Done much better than say the Dr. Evazan/Pando Baba one from R1. Good humor that wasn't super cheesy. Lots of action. great visuals. A great presentation of the grit and grime of the Star Wars Galaxy. totally loved the imperial recruitment office and the land battle scene. I also would have liked to have seen some of Han's time and the naval academy and his pilot training. Definitely the best of the 4 most recent films and easily in my top 4 star wars films overall. Maybe even top three. 8.5/10. Needed just a little more Maul. :-)

Edited by PanchoX1

4 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

Most of the fan service Easter eggs were very... subtitle in there presentation.

I think you mean subtle.  But now I'm visualising on-screen Quentin Tarantino-style dotted line boxes along with bold text saying "This is how Han gets his blaster"

Loved it.

Easily the best new Star Wars film so far.

My favorite parts in no particular order:

- Han getting his name by joining the Empire to become a pilot, only to cut away to three years later and getting blasted on Mimban.

- Han speaking Wookiee and connecting to Chewbacca. Super heartfelt moment for me, especially when they're on the heist and Han translates for Chewie.

- Han bragging about his VCX-100

- Donald Glover as Lando

- Lando having the hots for his sassy robot

- L3 and Qi'ra's conversation about Lando

- L3's feminist-activist humor, especially starting the revolt on Kessel

- Kessel run explained

- Lando being salty about getting his ship trashed

- Beckett betraying Han betraying Becket betraying Dryden with Qi'ra betraying Han to kill Dryden so Han can save Chewie with Beckett trying to kill Han but getting shot at the end.

- EDIT: SURPRISE MAUL

There's a lot more I loved about the movie but I basically just loved the entire movie.

Edited by SpikeSpiegel
The surprising reveal of Darth Maul as the subversive villain who ultimately has domain over the primary crime syndicate that served as Beckett's primary employer.

Saw it last night.  Loved it!  Liked it more than Rogue One or TLJ.  Maybe even more than Return of the Jedi.  My daughter has wholeheartedly declared it her favorite Star Wars movie.  She absolutely loved Qira.  We'll be going at least 2 or 3 more times in the theater.

Jim

Just now, thespaceinvader said:

In the first 5 or 10 minutes, when Han and Qui'ra were approaching the spaceport.  FLying in to land in one of the wide shots.

I thought that was a Gozanti but in closer inspection it looked all weird on the bottom haha.

9 hours ago, eMeM said:

I'm not sure how do y'all get the "Republic was evil" vibes from a movie set in its eternity under the Empire, and going out of its way to establish that the Empire is bad, cooperating closely with crime syndicates and invading planets.

So one of the largest mining operations for fuel converts to slavery operations that quickly? 

Lots of things that looked like they were engrained parts of society for the lower classes.

You really think when the emperor took over things through the entire beurocracy of the government switched over to mass oppression that quickly? I mean there was still a Senate up until rogue one.

The Republic was for the wealthy on wealthy worlds. After episode one did the Jedi or Republic come back to tattoine to end the slave trade and help those people? No they didn't they were completely aware and just allowed it to happen, the Jedi did not even seem shocked or concerned. Infact they gambled to take the boy they wanted so that it was all a legal transfer of ownership for the slave when by all logic they could have just stolen him. Therefore they not only allowed slavery they respected it as a business.

The empire is just the Republic under new leadership (frankly the same leadership). Basically the empire is the Republic just without Jedi.

Edited by Icelom

1 hour ago, Icelom said:

So one of the largest mining operations for fuel converts to slavery operations that quickly? 

Lots of things that looked like they were engrained parts of society for the lower classes.

You really think when the emperor took over things through the entire beurocracy of the government switched over to mass oppression that quickly? I mean there was still a Senate up until rogue one.

The Republic was for the wealthy on wealthy worlds. After episode one did the Jedi or Republic come back to tattoine to end the slave trade and help those people? No they didn't they were completely aware and just allowed it to happen, the Jedi did not even seem shocked or concerned. Infact they gambled to take the boy they wanted so that it was all a legal transfer of ownership for the slave when by all logic they could have just stolen him. Therefore they not only allowed slavery they respected it as a business.

The empire is just the Republic under new leadership (frankly the same leadership). Basically the empire is the Republic just without Jedi.

bull. If the planet's government doesn't want to join the Republic, the Republic doesn't have any way of enforcing its laws there. Unlike the Empire, the Republic didn't go around conquering planets.

3 minutes ago, eMeM said:

bull. If the planet's government doesn't want to join the Republic, the Republic doesn't have any way of enforcing its laws there. Unlike the Empire, the Republic didn't go around conquering planets.

They were pretty not cool with the systems separating from the Republic.

Even in the lower parts of corusant it was really sketchy.

Lower classes were trash in the Republic, nothing changed for them in the empire.

Just now, Icelom said:

They were pretty not cool with the systems separating from the Republic.

Even in the lower parts of corusant it was really sketchy.

Lower classes were trash in the Republic, nothing changed for them in the empire.

Secession is a completely different thing, many modern Earth countries operate the same way. America is a bad example because it acts like world police delivering democracy all over the globe, which you want Republic to do on a galactic scale, but let's say Spain - Catalonia isn't allowed to leave, yet Spain doesn't have any obligation to conquer African countries or North Korea and free them from dictatures.

Sure the poorest of poor aren't affected as much by the system change, but yoy can't jut slam a fat "==" between the Republic and the Empire just because the Republic wasn't perfect in every single aspect.