Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

I had a lot of fun. I clapped twice: once for Teräs Käsi, and once for...I can't even remember. Guess I'll have to see it again.

I loved all the references and connections people have already mentioned. So fun! Definitely shocked by Maul, but very pleased to see him.

One thing that bugged me was how small Coronet space port appeared. Isn't it supposed to be Corellia's capitol? It looked so backwater. I'd be fine if it was just about any other city on Corellia. Oh well, guess I can now begin to change my impression of Coronet. (At least it was on the water, just like Rogue Squadron N64).

34 minutes ago, Memorare said:

I hate to be Captain Buzz Kill, but I was honestly bored. Predictable double crosses, bad Han Solo cosplayer acting, and boring. I haven't been so bored in a movie for years.  

You didn't see Cloud Atlas then? Or even Vallerian?

I'm glad people seemed to like it, but I felt a little underwhelmed.

The movie seemed like it was trying desperately to be everything, but it felt really uneven to me.  It wanted to tell us how Han met Chewie, met Lando, got off Corellia, joined the Empire, left the Empire, won the Falcon, did the Kessel Run, and so on, so forth.  It wanted to be a Han Solo biopic.  But if it had focused in a little tighter, I think the plot would have been more interesting and engaging.

I would have preferred a more focused single heist, with all the prep work, planning, analyzing problems and figuring out how to tackle them.  Instead we got a movie that sailed along through a series of mini-heists without really having any feeling of stakes or gravity, right up until the end.  When Qi'ra betrayed Han, I was expecting things to set up for a really tense third act where Han and Qi'ra face off.  But instead, the movie left it hanging, and it felt incomplete as a result.

If you liked it, more power to you.  I thought it was very mediocre.

Edited by MortalPlague

13 hours ago, eMeM said:

****, what year is it? I assume this is not a retcon and the movie takes place before Rebels, and Maul is again at the helm of the Shadow Collective?

I read someplace that Disney said this takes place 10 years before A New Hope.   Not sure what Maul's timeline is after Phantom Menace or  if Shadow Collective is in Clone Wars/ Rebels. 

I loved the movie.  I want to see at least one Calrissian Chronicles movie with Lando narrating.  Chewie rip arms off of people, finally, and Han speaking wookiee. I hope they do at least one more Solo movie. We still have the whole Jabba thing. Plus I want to know whats up with Maul and Qi'ra.  I also loved how Becket used the same Dejarik move the R2-D2 used in A New Hope on Chewie.

2 hours ago, MortalPlague said:

The movie seemed like it was trying desperately to be everything, but it felt really uneven to me.  It wanted to tell us how Han met Chewie, met Lando, got off Corellia, joined the Empire, left the Empire, won the Falcon, did the Kessel Run, and so on, so forth.  It wanted to be a Han Solo biopic.  But if it had focused in a little tighter, I think the plot would have been more interesting and engaging.

This. Now that you mention it, this does seem so.

I was a bit dissapointed. The plot sounded "classic" or "by the book". For me the show had too much dice in. Seems like when the we saw them in the Episodes, it was "Oh, shiny dice", but here they were just everywhere. Qi'ra acting was really good (I did not even recongnise the Mother of Dragons - only once, when she was walking torwards the camera). Han reminded me of younger DiCaprio and I could not loose the thought during the whole movie. Lando was great - excactly how I thought he would be young. Chewbacca looked to thin for me - like he was artificially made higher.

The only two moments I felt some emotions was when Han first took the steering wheel (?) of the Falcon and when he shot Beckett. First one "this is the moment!" second one was just brutal. And I was actually not sure who sold Solo out to the Dawn. As soon Qi'ra sent Han forward I knew what she was up to. Odd noone ever mentioned Jabba. When I saw Maul I understood that I don't remember the timeline well enough, apparently. 

Well, at least now we know why there is no escape pod on the falcon and where did the antenna get lost. Oh, and I don't think FFG will get many ship ideas from the movie.

Caught the movie last night and loved it.  Honestly I've enjoyed the stand-alone movies (RO/Solo) more than the new episodic ones.

One part I liked the most: on Kessel when they were shooting their way out and Han was blasting while going up the Falcons entry ramp: the camera angle and action was pretty much the exact same as a classic Han shot from ANH.  For a second I thought it was actually Harrison Ford it was that close.

3 minutes ago, Cartchan said:

Better ?

98525.jpg

Is it at the top of the picture right between Luke and Obi-wan?  If so that honestly looks like a couple of marbles to me. ?

15 hours ago, RoockieBoy said:

Emon (Azzameen?), Aurra Singh, Benthic, Bossk, Maul!... lots of cool people were shown/talked about!

I really enjoyed it.

I missed the Emon reference. or was it a cameo? when was it?

I just saw it last night.  I thought it was great!

Great action, good story, the acting could have been better at times (mainly the beginning).  I thought the Kessel run scene was fantastic.

11 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

My biggest gripe is that Enfys Nest turned out to be a Rebel.   Not surprising, but just having scum on scum rivalry would have been my preference.   Still, Han shot first.   

Enfys was a rebel but I don't think in the sense of "the Rebels" or "the Rebellion" it was just her group deciding to start rebelling.  That's how I took it anyway - "the Rebellion" in the generic terms of people will start rising up.

Also, I didn't put together than Han shot first when he shot Tobias.  Makes me like the film a bit more now.

Maul at the end was great. 

I heard that they are going to make a Solo trilogy, anybody else hear this?

9 minutes ago, papy72 said:

Caught the movie last night and loved it.  Honestly I've enjoyed the stand-alone movies (RO/Solo) more than the new episodic ones.

One part I liked the most: on Kessel when they were shooting their way out and Han was blasting while going up the Falcons entry ramp: the camera angle and action was pretty much the exact same as a classic Han shot from ANH.  For a second I thought it was actually Harrison Ford it was that close.

I noticed that too, it was cool.  I also thought at one part where Han is in the cockpit and they have a profile shot of his face he really really looked a lot like Harrison Ford.

4 minutes ago, Skitchx said:

Great action, good story, the acting could have been better at times (mainly the beginning).  I thought the Kessel run scene was fantastic.

Enfys was a rebel but I don't think in the sense of "the Rebels" or "the Rebellion" it was just her group deciding to start rebelling.  That's how I took it anyway - "the Rebellion" in the generic terms of people will start rising up.

Also, I didn't put together than Han shot first when he shot Tobias.  Makes me like the film a bit more now.

I think he’s signed for 2 more movies, but I believe that’s what Disney does for everyone. I think they did that with the main actors from R1, but of course the characters are dead. But just in case they use the characters again, they got the contract.

Edited by Tbetts94

Honestly, this is the first Star Wars movie released in my lifetime that I haven't had any urge to see in theaters.  If some friends went, I'd join them, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I just haven't heard anything about it good enough to compel me not to just wait until it comes out on video.

16 hours ago, Ravenhull said:

Did they address the ‘escape shuttle’ thing in the nose here, or is that a future reveal?

Han shoots it off during the Kessel Run.

Edit: Lando is not happy about it.

Edited by Skitchx

4 minutes ago, Skitchx said:

They left a couple of obvious sequel hooks - Jabba hiring for a job, and of course Qira and Maul.

There are some solid rumours about a Boba Fett movie in the works - I wouldn't be surprised if it involves Han and Boba on Jabba's paycheck going against Maul's sindicate.