Jump to content
Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

-Beckett's girlfriend or whatever sacrificing herself to steal the fuel. Seemed really out of place for something a smuggler would do. I know they had to steal the stuff or get killed, but it seemed like an odd way to remove the character. I would have at least have her get mortally wounded or something and then blow the bridge. Beckett mourned her for like 30 seconds, so its not like they had a super deep relationship.

I'm thinking that, given that the movie was extensively re-shot, that the Val/Beckett was a leftover from the original shooting somehow. It doesn't make much sense in the context of the rest of the movie.

17 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

-Lando's character was off from what you think Lando should act like. Glover did a spot-on impression of Billy D, but the character was a little out of place. Why would Lando care so much about an annoying droid? Why would he say mining operations are awful? That's exactly what he is doing in Empire. He was just inconsistent.

I didn't get that at all. Why wouldn't he care about L3? Mining operations are awful. But Lando is a shyster, so of course he ends up running one.

17 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

-The stupid new Tie Fighter. Why not just use a Tie Bomber there? I know toys and all but you can sell new OT ship toys. Its like they have to have a new Tie Fighter in every **** movie. I want to see OT ships on screen again, especially ones that didn't get much screen time.

I used to feel the same way you do. But in the OT we saw... four ships? Five? And the USAF alone has more than sixty active types of aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 1:28 PM, Trghpu1994 said:

Was it just me or did Maul look like he packed on some pounds after his limb attachment procedure? Or the hologram adds some pounds. Is Kera (Don't know how to spell it) supposed to be a Jedi apprentice to Mail or a non jedi but still an apprentice type?

We're just too used to seeing him in the super skinny style of Rebels.  He looked like a normal build to me, but he looked weird because I'm used to hyper-spindly cartoon Maul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to go back to an old fan film. The Dark Redemption. Not as flashy it is a decade or 2 old. But story I think is better even with the campy parts. Not a whole lot to do with Han Solo, heck they only add in a voice line (possibly because they couldn't get young harrison ford) so you only hear a tag line and don't see him.

 

 

Enjoy, or watch and hate it, or don't

Edited by Marinealver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 8:20 AM, Jo Jo said:

Also, I don't know if it was addressed in this thread (I'm certainly not reading it all), but Imperial March is now an in universe song. It was playing at the recruiting station on Corellia. That had to have been a leftover from the "comedy" version of the movie.

 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:23 AM, Admiral Deathrain said:

I mean, that isn't too unreasonable and kind of fits the fascistoid themes of the empire. They are going to have this kind of 'display of power' marching music. It's also what the empire would use in propaganda about 'our invincible fleet'.

That's actually a leftover from the old EU.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take...

I liked it.  Good movie.  Not the best Star Wars nor the worst.

I felt all the actors did outstanding jobs given what they had to work with as far as a script.  I liked that is was in the Universe but showed a different side.  The Empire and Rebel Alliance basically just had a cameo's in what was otherwise an  action heist movie with fun fight scenes and some well mixed in humor. 

What I would have liked to see a is little more depth.  To expand on that, we've know some things about Han's past and they basically covered ALL of it in two hours.  Its almost like every thing Han is famous for happened during the last week of his senior year in high school and the rest of his life is just reliving the glory days.

Instead of learning the origin of his name, meeting Chewie, meeting Lando, winning the Falcon, and making the Kessel Run all in pretty much one day, they could have gone deeper into meeting Chewie and Lando and the climax could have been him winning the Falcon.  I have no idea what is left for a sequel and would be fine if this is a solo movie.  If anything, I would love to see Glover in a Lando stand alone movie.

Biggest Missed Opportunity (that I am glad they choose not to exploit) - When Lando tries to bargain for 40%, then accepts 25%, then gets it bumped down to 20%, he could easily have said, "This deal is getting worse all the time."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pickirk01 said:

If anything, I would love to see Glover in a Lando stand alone movie.

Indeed. I do like the character and Glover to me felt akin to Zachary Quinto/Karl Urban in the new Star Trek films; at least as good as the original for how you feel the character should work.

The Lando Calrissian Adventures were quite good fun for early star wars pulp adventure. If you're going to use the Star Wars Story franchise for "a [genre] movie, but Star Wars", (Rogue One - War Movie, Solo - Heist Movie, Kenobi - Western?) then Lando could work very nicely for a sort of Star Wars Indiana Jones/Lara Croft (if rather less altruistic....) treasure hunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pickirk01 said:

What I would have liked to see a is little more depth.  To expand on that, we've know some things about Han's past and they basically covered ALL of it in two hours.  Its almost like every thing Han is famous for happened during the last week of his senior year in high school and the rest of his life is just reliving the glory days.

Instead of learning the origin of his name, meeting Chewie, meeting Lando, winning the Falcon, and making the Kessel Run all in pretty much one day, they could have gone deeper into meeting Chewie and Lando and the climax could have been him winning the Falcon.  I have no idea what is left for a sequel and would be fine if this is a solo movie.  If anything, I would love to see Glover in a Lando stand alone movie.

This was my only real complaint.  Too much crammed into 2 hours of film, at the expense of depth.  It felt a bit like a checklist of things they wanted to cover - Han in the Empire, check; Meets Chewie, check; gets his blaster, check; meets Lando, check; Kessel run, check; wins the Falcon, check. 

They could have probably cut out half of the film, expanded on the other half and saved the rest for further down the line.

Of course, given nature of the film's production, they may have thought there might not have been an opportunity to do things further down the line...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So appareantly 'A Star Wars Story' movies have been put on ice because Solo didn't do well enough (Collider was the page reporting IIRC, not quoting sources, though). That sucks, I really enjoyed the format of self contained movies within a setting. Neither movies have been ground breaking, but I enjoyed both and especially appreciated how R1 was not sequel bait for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too and its unfortunate to hear. The standalone movies are the only ones I can stand. Disney is run by complete morons. They really do not understand this IP.

It really wasn't the movies fault it did bad. It was all they other circumstances around it. I'm fine with them taking a break though as there should be at minimum a year between releases. I really hope Episode 9 bombs as well and there is a culling at the top in Disney and they get some new blood in.

 

Edited by Jo Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

So appareantly 'A Star Wars Story' movies have been put on ice because Solo didn't do well enough (Collider was the page reporting IIRC, not quoting sources, though). That sucks, I really enjoyed the format of self contained movies within a setting. Neither movies have been ground breaking, but I enjoyed both and especially appreciated how R1 was not sequel bait for a change.

This. (bolded portion)

There is a whole galaxy at war.  There were millions of pilots and soldiers.  There were tens of thousands of officers and spies and heroes.  They need to bring in new characters like they did in R1 and stories that run parallel.  Its real easy for one of those characters to perhaps just mention some other battle or character.  Or if they want to keep using the same characters, then pick the tertiary ones.

Do Bothans stealing the Death Star Plans (with the Emperor laughing maniacally as the end credits roll.)

Or some Rebel cell sabotaging a fuel depot and barely getting out of there with their lives as they blast off into hyperspace in a shuttle called Tiderium.

Heck, do a VH1 behind the music spoof of Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes.  (This is a joke but if they got someone like Edgar Wright or Taika Waiiti to direct I might actually be in.) 

There are too many stories out there in the Legends and Canon books, comic, cartoons, etc. that go into backstories.  Trying to do backstory movies of the existing characters that we already know pretty well will either contradict something and make fans mad, or will take away from the mystique and make fans mad or will be done by an actor who does not quite capture the personality we know and love and will make fans mad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

So appareantly 'A Star Wars Story' movies have been put on ice because Solo didn't do well enough (Collider was the page reporting IIRC, not quoting sources, though). That sucks, I really enjoyed the format of self contained movies within a setting. Neither movies have been ground breaking, but I enjoyed both and especially appreciated how R1 was not sequel bait for a change.

I'm pretty sure that the haters will take full credit of this as a success of their boycott when in fact there is a couple of other factors influencing Solo's poor showing. 

What I find quite funny though, and what makes me think that it is not the boycott/TLJ haters that is the cause for this hold on future spinoffs movies, is that Rian Johnson new trilogy is still in development. As well as the serie of films by Game of Thrones showrunners. So looks like haters will still have 3 other movies by Rian (personnally still thrilled because I love TLJ)

But that's too bad, because I was also really looking forward to seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pickirk01 said:

This. (bolded portion)

There is a whole galaxy at war.  There were millions of pilots and soldiers.  There were tens of thousands of officers and spies and heroes.  They need to bring in new characters like they did in R1 and stories that run parallel.  Its real easy for one of those characters to perhaps just mention some other battle or character.  Or if they want to keep using the same characters, then pick the tertiary ones.

Do Bothans stealing the Death Star Plans (with the Emperor laughing maniacally as the end credits roll.)

Or some Rebel cell sabotaging a fuel depot and barely getting out of there with their lives as they blast off into hyperspace in a shuttle called Tiderium.

Heck, do a VH1 behind the music spoof of Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes.  (This is a joke but if they got someone like Edgar Wright or Taika Waiiti to direct I might actually be in.) 

There are too many stories out there in the Legends and Canon books, comic, cartoons, etc. that go into backstories.  Trying to do backstory movies of the existing characters that we already know pretty well will either contradict something and make fans mad, or will take away from the mystique and make fans mad or will be done by an actor who does not quite capture the personality we know and love and will make fans mad.

That would be good, though I'd like more removed films that aren't telling any kind of backstory and are their own thing. Not everything needs to be a MCU, everything is all tied together sort of thing, like how Solo wanted to clearly set up sequels and all with that Maul cameo at the end and not really developing Qi'ra's character likely to do so in a future film. They need to tell single one, and done films that tell their story but could possibly be expanded if there is an audience for it rather than expecting there to be an audience there and creating sequel baiting films. 

And you know, it kind of sucks that they cancelled the other films, or rather put them on hold. The Obi-wan film might have been interesting with the right direction and the acting that Ewan would bring. Boba Fett was pretty meh, it could likely have been another Solo if they tried to explain things away for the character. Rian Johnson's trilogy is....on the one hand it might be interesting to see a film done with his own characters to explore but at the same time based off that interview he did what he wanted with TLJ by making a film that half the people loved and half the people despised. And lastly, the GoTs directors doing a trilogy would likely be great, especially if they explored something we haven't seen in Star Wars before.

5 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

I'm pretty sure that the haters will take full credit of this as a success of their boycott when in fact there is a couple of other factors influencing Solo's poor showing. 

What I find quite funny though, and what makes me think that it is not the boycott/TLJ haters that is the cause for this hold on future spinoffs movies, is that Rian Johnson new trilogy is still in development. As well as the serie of films by Game of Thrones showrunners. So looks like haters will still have 3 other movies by Rian (personnally still thrilled because I love TLJ)

But that's too bad, because I was also really looking forward to seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan again.

I'd imagine that the boycott had some affect. Not the main one *cough* Infinity War and Deadpool 2 *cough* among a whole host of other issues. I mean I went to the film and felt it was not good or bad, just okay.

Are the other films still in development? All I heard is that the only one in development now at the moment was Episode 9. I suspected that Disney/Lucasfilm were trying to get away from some bad press by dropping this bit of news. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I'd imagine that the boycott had some affect. Not the main one *cough* Infinity War and Deadpool 2 *cough* among a whole host of other issues. I mean I went to the film and felt it was not good or bad, just okay.

Are the other films still in development? All I heard is that the only one in development now at the moment was Episode 9. I suspected that Disney/Lucasfilm were trying to get away from some bad press by dropping this bit of news. 

There is no denying that the boycott as some effect, I just think that the movie would still have a poor showing even if the boycott did not happened.

As for the other films, it's only the Spinoff that is on hold. So Kenobi and Boba Fett, 2 movie which I expect would have been sort of sequels to the Solo story. That would make sense why they are put on hold.

Episode 9, Rian Johnson trilogy and Game of Thrones showrunners series of film is still in development according to the Collider article:

In addition to Episode IX, Lucasfilm has officially announced development on a new Star Wars trilogy focused on new characters from The Last Jediwriter/director Rian Johnson, as well as a new series of films written by Game of Thronesshowrunners David Benioffand D.B. Weiss. These projects continue to be in development and are not part of the paused spinoffs we’re hearing about. But Lucasfilm’s main focus at the moment is planning the next trilogy after the Abrams-directed Star Wars 9, which is expected to conclude the story of Rey (Daisy Ridley) that began with The Force Awakens.

Edited by Red Castle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

...Not everything needs to be a MCU... 

Exactly.  And while MCU has shown that you can tie things in, you don't have to have seen every single film to enjoy the others.

Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Capt. Am. GotG are all great stand alone movies.  You never need to see any of the others to enjoy them.  That said, if done right, you can also drop hints and easter eggs that make it possible to have a grander universe that makes the good stand alone movies that much better when you see the others.

Too many franchises are trying to copy MCU without understanding what they are doing that actually makes them work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

There is no denying that the boycott as some effect, I just think that the movie would still have a poor showing even if the boycott did not happened.

As for the other films, it's only the Spinoff that is on hold. So Kenobi and Boba Fett, 2 movie which I expect would have been sort of sequels to the Solo story. That would make sense why they are put on hold.

Episode 9, Rian Johnson trilogy and Game of Thrones showrunners series of film is still in development according to the Collider article:

In addition to Episode IX, Lucasfilm has officially announced development on a new Star Wars trilogy focused on new characters from The Last Jediwriter/director Rian Johnson, as well as a new series of films written by Game of Thronesshowrunners David Benioffand D.B. Weiss. These projects continue to be in development and are not part of the paused spinoffs we’re hearing about. But Lucasfilm’s main focus at the moment is planning the next trilogy after the Abrams-directed Star Wars 9, which is expected to conclude the story of Rey (Daisy Ridley) that began with The Force Awakens.

Oh definitely. The fact the film wasn't one anyone really wanted to see is a big issue, as was the fact that it started its marketing campaign so late, was released in a historically bad weekend let alone going against bigger hit films that general audiences wanted to see, the issues with the bad press talking about the nightmares behind the scenes, the fact the budget was blown up to reshoot the entire film, etc, etc. It had tons of negative factors against it, and as soon as I saw it being put against Avengers I suspected that LFL and Disney just wanted to write it off as a failure. If they wanted the film to have been better it would have helped to at least push it closer to December away from the other big flicks, to reduce costs by not rushing CGI, and would have allowed for more editing and refinement. Not to mention being able to call for additional reshoots if needed to get the film where they needed it.

Good to hear about the GoT directors led films still being in development. As for Rian Johnson's, I'll wait until I see trailers and material for them being released before making an opinion one way or the other. 

8 minutes ago, pickirk01 said:

Exactly.  And while MCU has shown that you can tie things in, you don't have to have seen every single film to enjoy the others.

Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Capt. Am. GotG are all great stand alone movies.  You never need to see any of the others to enjoy them.  That said, if done right, you can also drop hints and easter eggs that make it possible to have a grander universe that makes the good stand alone movies that much better when you see the others.

Too many franchises are trying to copy MCU without understanding what they are doing that actually makes them work.

Thats because they want to jump straight to the Avengers doing the teamup film and make the big money without laying the ground work. Most the of shared universe attempts end up skimping on what is arguably the most important element of those films, the characters. If they characters aren't likeable/relateable then why would we care about seeing them interact with other characters we don't care about or relate to? 

Edited by Animewarsdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...