Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

6 hours ago, PastrySandwich said:

Neither Luke (as a character) nor the audience think much of the creature. 

Huh? As an 8 year old watching empire when it first came out I knew immediately that was Yoda. It was incredibly obvious for anyone who knew it was a movie. 

10 hours ago, PastrySandwich said:

It is a mediocre movie in general, but as a Star Wars movie it is very bad. 

As a movie it fails in a few places. First the jokes, oof.  They are so out of place and each and every single one falls so flat. The jokes don't fit the theme, the characters, or the timing and are a distraction to everything the movie attempts to accomplish. It is way way way WAAAAAAAY too long. Particularly because how little happens to the characters and in the overall plot. Basically no one has any arc and everyone ends right back where they started the movie. So many subplots and characters could be removed and it would not change the story in the slightest. It is a mess storywise. 

Beyond being a mediocre movie it really fails as a Star Wars movie. 

It is clear there is a misunderstanding of the characters and they are butchered.

Poe was the one character that actually did have an arc, but that arc sucked. Poe learns to not think for himself and instead should always bow down to an authority figure, even when they appear to have nothing planned. So while this character development, its bad character development. There is no reason for Haldo to not tell Poe her plan. There is less of a reason why everyone on the ship, who also assumed that Haldo had no plan wouldn't join with Poe. I mean everyone is looking at their leader who is sitting there waiting for death, vs. ANY plan at all. Further, why can't the FO catch the Resistance? In a universe where FTL travel is the norm we have a tug boat chase? I understand it was designed for plot reasons, but it is so out of universe and jarringly stupid. The FO should just jump to light speed and show up in front of them, problem solved. If they really wanted this 'chase' scene, thye could have just fully stolen the BSG plot and had them follow with the Resistance only having X jumps remaining, same ultimate effect, but makes way more sense given the setting. 

Chewie, poor Chewie. In the movie because he apparently has to be, but sits around and no one ever really acknowledges him. When he see Luke for the first time in a long time and tells him of that Han dies, he gets totally blown off. Chewie just lost the most important person in his life a mutual friend of his and Luke. Also Luke and Chewie are friends, they have gone one some pretty serious adventures and bonded, but here he shows up devastated and then immediately turned away and spends the rest of the movie hanging out with a (somehow) ***** version of the Ewoks. 

Leia, the Mary Poppins scene.... Leia who has a passing ability in the force all of a sudden has a pretty amazing power to never killed. Which is also, 100% pointless. Beyond how utterly stupid the scene watches, and it watches very very poorly, why does it occur at all? Leia is seemingly killed to just to end up mostly fine. The only potential payoff (Kylo pulling or not pulling the trigger) is rendered totally inert, because, surprise, Leia is an unkillable Jedi Master of the highest order apparently. 

Luke was so totally misunderstood, and it is the most infuriating as it harms the character deeply. Like Yoda, Luke, while also being brooding and a totally loner, is also working on his opening act at The Comedy Store. That makes all the scenes with him confusing as they jump from serious to awkward and back again. Then his entire character is tossed in the bin as nonchalantly as he tosses his old lightsaber. Luke spends all of RotJ believing he can reach his father, that there is still some good left in him. No one else in the galaxy believes that, including the Emperor. The payoff becomes that Vader does still have some good left in him and makes one last sacrifice to save his son, who had still believed in him. So THAT guy, the one that believed the most evil man in the galaxy still had some good left in him and could be saved, somehow looked at a child (who was not evil yet) and thought the ONLY option is to kill him. And it wasn't even a passing thought, like say Ben read his mind and saw he thought that, or Snoke planted that image in his mind or something reasonable. This was Luke showing up with lightsaber in hand only to back off at the last second. That is so bad so utterly misguided and out of place for Luke. It is no one Mark Hamill made comments like this character was not Luke Skywalker before the film was released, he was right it wasn't. 

Yoda the wisest being in the Star Wars universe shows up to do his set at The Comedy Store. Blowing right past the, "where the fu*k have you been the last 30 years" and how are you able to impact the real world as a force ghost, the movie depicts Yoda as the goofy weird creature we see when Luke first meets him. However, that is NOT Yoda. Yoda is putting on that act to test Luke, to see if he is "ready", so for Yoda to come back acting like a goofy asshat, I mean how do you miss the character that much, at least you coulda listened to the Weird Al song about him and had a better idea about him.

Rose and Finn didn't need to be in this movie. They accomplish nothing but being filler in an already bloated movie. The entire fake Cloud City story is totally pointless to the story, but also really bad. They go to find the only guy in the galaxy that can accomplish the hack only to find someone else equally as capable, literally just lying around. They free a bunch of space horses from their space horse racing (hooray!) expect this is a pretty small planet or moon or whatever, so where the **** are they gonna go? They are clearly going to be caught, by the wealthiest people in the galaxy in like 30 mins. If they don't, did anyone check to see if they can even survive in the wild? And, best of all, glad they saved those CGI monsters, but the kids stuck in slavery? Yeah, they should be fine. Then Rose and Finn head to the FO to accomplish more of nothing. Their plan is bad and dumb and they are all saved by BB-8 who can apparently take on the entire ship alone (why not just send in a **** ton of BB droids, as they are apparently able to accomplish way more than any human can in this story). Finally as Finn is able to do SOMETHING for the story (also pay off this character who began as a selfish coward, he now has the ability to be selfless and brave) he is stopped by Rose. Who lets him know they don't sacrifice themselves just to save others. How does she do this? By sacrificing herself (I mean she crashes her ship into him and is almost/should be killed and made them sitting ducks to just be killed). Also not to mention that Holdo literally JUST DID THE SAME ******* THING. But everyone forgot that she sacrificed herself to save the Resistance because she was a throw-away character that no one had any attachment to since they did not develop her even remotely, and it isn't like they had a leader character that the audience cared about lying around (*cough Leia *cough). Then because Finn did not sacrifice himself to save everyone they will all die, expect nope Luke shows up and saves everyone, by sacrificing himself..... Also now Rose and Finn are in love with one another even though at no point (other than the brief amazement Rose has at Finn when they meet) had anything happened to show these two becoming remotely romantically interested in one another.  

Rey and Kylo sit around, almost have a meaningful transition to ultimately not, and somehow both get more powerful all while decidedly not being trained by their respective masters. Clearly the biggest miss of the entire film is that these characters are almost interesting only to be turned into nothing. Kylo has shows signs of weakness towards the dark side and begins to connect with Rey and then at the end, "Haha nope I'm still all dark side, thanks for the memories!". While Rey has the exact same dumb story with the light side. Visions of her being tempted by the dark and being rejected by Luke to only find a connection with Kylo only when push comes to shove there is zero tension and she is fully engaged with the light side. Having one or both "fall" to the other side is interesting or even better for them both to embrace their "outcast" nature and forge their own path, no light side, no dark side, all interesting. Instead there are hints here and there that there is a conflict within each of them only for when the payoff moment comes they do not hesitate and end up right back where they started the movie. Neither bats an eye about having any growth, not even the hint of losing their path and are firmly back where they began even though nothing in the story would have suggested they had cemented their ideals. Also, even though Kylo has been nothing but inept as a Sith, which is commented on frequently by Snoke. He has somehow increased his prowess so much that he can pull the golden wool over his eyes in the most telegraphed death sequence in cinema history. While Rey, who knew nothing before meeting Luke and is consistently not trained by him, now has all of the force powers and is totally an elite Jedi that can lift every rock ever. Luke had to sacrifice for these things. He abandons his friends to go train and for it they are ambushed and Han is captured. He sacrifices his training to go aid his friends at the last minute and for it he loses his hand and mentor. While stronger he is still a very incomplete Jedi which shows in his final confrontation where is clearly weaker and shows signs of faltering, when he lets his rage slip for a moment fighting Vader. Neither Kylo nor Rey sacrifice anything and in the end they get what they want, have more power than ever before, and in the climatic moments with everything on the line never show one iota of wavering in their faith. 

Again not a great movie in general, but as far as Star Wars movies go, it is really really bad. So much was done to subvert expectations, which is fine, but you can't just subvert expectations just to do it. You have to have something that makes sense, both within the boundaries of a story and the greater universe it is set in. This movie fails both at telling a interesting story and really fails at trying to tell an interesting Star Wars story. 

I'm torn. This post is a great example of poor understanding and shallow thinking and I want to address a bunch of points individually, but's also painfully long and I simply don't have the time. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Admiral Deathrain said:

It probably is more about her age. She barely looks 18 and already is involved in pretty heavy stuff.

Indeed. Erin Kellyman's actually 19, I believe (but does look younger than that - it's the freckles more than anything).

And yes, first reflex wasn't "bloody heck she's a woman" so much as "bloody heck she's about twelve". Which is a fair surprise, precisely because the point of the surprise is that both han and the audience have been misinformed about what the cloud riders are; they're not a bunch of pirates/marauders/whatever so much as one of the proto-rebel groups (like the Specters or Iron Squadron, both of whom have 'kids' in tow).

Edited by Magnus Grendel

You know, I overall enjoyed Solo. The main problem for me was the gnawing fact that the plot was wafer thin and only exacerbated the needlessness of the movie.

It was fan service at best, I imagine that going through different directors and rewrites/reshoots hampered the vision* intended.

What's really bugging me is a stand alone Han Solo movie is welcome from me but a movie detailing the stolen Detah Star plans gave me little interest (Long time Dark Forces fan). Yet I really, really enjoyed Rogue One in its entirety and would watch it multiple times, but Solo was a single pass and I wouldn't be fussed about seeing it a second time.

If anything I'm glad Solo hasn't gotten on my nerves anywhere close to LJ and I can look back on it positively.

* - Dryden Vos hahahahaha ?

Edited by Procastination
I'm hilarious

It was less then Good, but not Meh.     The biggest problem with this movie is that it feels exactly like those films that came out after a couple of the Harry Potter movies.  Movies like Ergon, I might have spelled it wrong, had a bunch of novels but they crammed the plot of a bunch of them into one movie, they did this with the original Lord of the Rings that was made in Russia, I think it had the Hobbit story arc in it too.  That is exactly what the Solo movie felt like.  The first movie should have been about nothing but Han Solo in the Empire with the 2nd half being about the campaign we see him at where he meets his mentor.   I don't know if I am happy or sad about Baron Fel not being in this movie, in one hand we don't see him, on the other, Disney would have made him pathetic like the other Baron that was in Rebels most the time that became a Bar tender.

Was it just me or did Maul look like he packed on some pounds after his limb attachment procedure? Or the hologram adds some pounds. Is Kera (Don't know how to spell it) supposed to be a Jedi apprentice to Mail or a non jedi but still an apprentice type?

Edited by Trghpu1994
Edited autocorrect messed up

40 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

As far as we know, Qi'ra is not a Force User, just as Dryden Vos was not - they were both Maul's employees, not apprentices.

Wow I wasn't even close in spelling. Too lazy to look it up this morning. It almost felt like they left it open for a sequel which I am not sure I want. Even thought I enjoyed the movie. I would be interested in a bounty hunters /smugglers tv series

11 hours ago, Trghpu1994 said:

Wow I wasn't even close in spelling. Too lazy to look it up this morning. It almost felt like they left it open for a sequel which I am not sure I want. Even thought I enjoyed the movie. I would be interested in a bounty hunters /smugglers tv series

What about a sequel, set on Tatooine, featuring Jabba's gang vs Maul's gang, with bountyhunters and gangsters on both sides, and maybe a shadowy old wizard living alone out in the dune sea...

On 6/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, Trghpu1994 said:

It smells a bit too much like sequel bait for my liking, too, but maybe it isn't. It could just be a setup for her to become a recurring character in more of the scummy movies.

22 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

It smells a bit too much like sequel bait for my liking, too, but maybe it isn't. It could just be a setup for her to become a recurring character in more of the scummy movies.

That is my concern, there are so many interesting charatchers we could do dozens of movies. I think I would prefer a Rebels style cartoon show where there could be some good character development.

Edited by Trghpu1994

On 6/9/2018 at 7:28 AM, Trghpu1994 said:

Was it just me or did Maul look like he packed on some pounds after his limb attachment procedure? Or the hologram adds some pounds. Is Kera (Don't know how to spell it) supposed to be a Jedi apprentice to Mail or a non jedi but still an apprentice type?

He’s old, so he’s put on some weight.

She’s probably closer to his slave than anything else.

1 hour ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

He’s old, so he’s put on some weight.

She’s probably closer to his slave than anything else.

Nah, Qi'ra was Vos's majordomo, and replaced him after she killed him. She's now the leader of a substantial criminal enterprise. While she reports to Maul directly now, she's not a slave.

2 hours ago, kris40k said:

Nah, Qi'ra was Vos's majordomo, and replaced him after she killed him. She's now the leader of a substantial criminal enterprise. While she reports to Maul directly now, she's not a slave.

Then why did Maul flash the lightsaber? Just to remind her of who's boss? Maybe she is force sensitive. 

15 minutes ago, Trghpu1994 said:

Then why did Maul flash the lightsaber? Just to remind her of who's boss? Maybe she is force sensitive. 

They had to spell out that it was maul because most people think he's dead. Best way to do that is flash his face and his blade.

37 minutes ago, McFoy said:

They had to spell out that it was maul because most people think he's dead. Best way to do that is flash his face and his blade.

Wait..are they setting us up for a Maul bio  Flic??  good point btw. Hadn't thought of that 

It just seemed pretty cheesy. Its almost like Disney puts in the contract that its a Star Wars movie, it has to have a lightsaber in it.

Also, I don't know if it was addressed in this thread (I'm certainly not reading it all), but Imperial March is now an in universe song. It was playing at the recruiting station on Corellia. That had to have been a leftover from the "comedy" version of the movie.

Other things I could nitpick:

-Han talking like a Wookie. It was pretty jarring, I guess yeah he can understand Wookie, but talking like one is just seemed goofy.

-Beckett's girlfriend or whatever sacrificing herself to steal the fuel. Seemed really out of place for something a smuggler would do. I know they had to steal the stuff or get killed, but it seemed like an odd way to remove the character. I would have at least have her get mortally wounded or something and then blow the bridge. Beckett mourned her for like 30 seconds, so its not like they had a super deep relationship.

-Lando's character was off from what you think Lando should act like. Glover did a spot-on impression of Billy D, but the character was a little out of place. Why would Lando care so much about an annoying droid? Why would he say mining operations are awful? That's exactly what he is doing in Empire. He was just inconsistent.

-The stupid new Tie Fighter. Why not just use a Tie Bomber there? I know toys and all but you can sell new OT ship toys. Its like they have to have a new Tie Fighter in every **** movie. I want to see OT ships on screen again, especially ones that didn't get much screen time.

-I would have liked to see Solo during his Imperial training. A scene or two of him training in Tie Fighters and showing his piloting prowess. I didn't like the 3 year jump they did.

-More for Chewie to do. Seemed like he just carried things the majority of the time.

But like I said just nitpicks. They aren't as egregious as the two sequel movies.

Edited by Jo Jo

16 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Also, I don't know if it was addressed in this thread (I'm certainly not reading it all), but Imperial March is now an in universe song. It was playing at the recruiting station on Corellia. That had to have been a leftover from the "comedy" version of the movie.

I mean, that isn't too unreasonable and kind of fits the fascistoid themes of the empire. They are going to have this kind of 'display of power' marching music. It's also what the empire would use in propaganda about 'our invincible fleet'.