Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

15 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Weird, since Battlestar Galactica was created to feel like Star Wars. 

True, but then Battlestar became it's own thing, with its own tone and feel and that is what I thought TLJ felt like.

Edited by DXCrazytrain

2 hours ago, Aaron Foss said:

So the answer is instead to become a GamerGator / Incel / Sad Puppy / White Nationalist / Idiot who thinks they are fighting some kind of grand injustice that Star Wars as a franchise is inflicting up on them? Scream bloody murder about the "SJWs", "Agendas", and "identity politics"? Blame everyone else rather than work to fix a broken system?

Go ahead and have a seat.

Was I talking about myself? 

No I was not. I was answering a question about the toxic part of the fanbase. I guess that makes me a virgin nazi neckbeard. Good to know, for future reference. 

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Forgottenlore said:

Weird, since Battlestar Galactica was created to feel like Star Wars. 

Noooooooot the 2003 one... Which is a good thing.

58 minutes ago, DXCrazytrain said:

True, but then Battlestar became it's own thing, with its own tone and feel and that is what I thought TLJ felt like.

You've got an interesting view on 2003 BSG.

Well, at least we are finally seeing some representation of a veryboverlooked minority in SW with the inclusion of Enfys Nest: the Speckled People, or Freckled Ones.  My people.  

Sure, General Hux did a lot of oppressed Gingers the galaxy over but he’s just a pale ghost man with flaming hair.  We, the few, the insufficiently meloninated, are lumped in with the greater ginger population but there are subtle differences and overlaps.  Speckle Awareness.

I actually like Solo a lot, didn't expect that. Having only seen it once I can't quite put my finger on why, yet, but I'd love to see it again. It doesn't have any killer-moments, but it is just consistently enjoyable. Compared to R1, the good isn't as good, but there isn't anywhere near as much bad.

Since we are all doing the ranks again, here are mine. I put the movies in buckets, within which my preference constantly changes (order is their current rank, though):

V, VII, > VIII, IV, Solo, III > R1, VI > I, II

The miss-information campaign against 'soylo' by certain parts of the 'fandom' is quite unfortunate. It deserves to be doing much better than it is now. Disneys marketing didn't help, either. I wouldn't have gone to see the movie if it weren't for some people on this forum talking about how it was suprisingly enough pretty decent, thanks for that. It is no masterpiece, but the majority of star wars isn't. I'm no movie-buff, that isn't why I go see star wars. I just want entertainment in a universe I enjoy and Solo delivers that.

22 hours ago, DXCrazytrain said:

TLJ has been talked to death and I won't beat that dead horse any further. I will only point out two things, the story structure was very different from any Star Wars story previous, and the actions of some of the characters, especially Luke and Leia, we're very out place from what we know and love about them. In both cases it was a result of substance being sacrificed for style.

I do disagree with this part, a bit.  Leia suddenly using the Force was kind of odd, but I felt Luke's character seemed pretty spot-on.  No offense to Mark Hamill, but did he even listen to his own character's lines?  Luke in the movie explicitly points out how people tend to make heroes into legends and overestimate their abilities.  Given that Luke was a farmboy who was thrown into a war and pretty much succeeded at everything he tried, I could certainly believe that the magnitude of his failure with Ben Solo (who is his nephew, no less) could weigh on him to the point of breaking.

There were some story beats in TLJ of which I was not overly fond. That said, I strongly appreciated the recurring theme of learning from mistakes, as expressed by Yoda, "The greatest teacher, failure is." This is a much more valuable lesson than "Do or do not; there is no try." My favorite way this theme played out were the mistakes made by Snoke, Kylo, and Rey concerning their showdown. Each saw something in the Force about that meeting, something true, but each interpreted it mistakenly, or incompletely. Snoke saw Kylo striking down his enemy, and assumed that meant Kylo would kill Rey. Kylo saw Rey standing with him, and assumed that meant she would join him. Rey saw Kylo turning against his master, and assumed that meant he'd return to the Light.

Well, it was good, not as good as Rogue One but good non-the less. Also there was no 'Mary Poppins' moment (one of the stupidest scenes ever).
It was cool seeing the Gozanti classed ship near the start and the snippets of Star Destroyers being built.

I felt that the chase scene in the speeders was like something out of American Graffiti, namely the 'rocket ship' tail lights of the older American cars.

Having the escape pod at the front of the Falcon seemed a waste due to the ship already having one in the side, which Han removes later.

I thought Lando was good, He likes his capes.

The Imperial Troopers about the place were cool.
I did feel that Emilia Clark and Felicity Jones (Jyn Erzo) look to similar.

Warrick Davis didn't really need to be there.

The lead pirate, just didn't work for me.

That dude (those rebel pirates) that looks just like the same dude from Rogue One has to be the same dude.

That space octopus I don't think would have got trapped in the gravity well, being that it lives right near it!.

Darth Maul, so to re-enforce that he's Maul he has to show his light saber? Which brings us to the time line, did he come back after 'The Phantom Menace'? or is this film set before then?

Overall Ron did a good job with this film, none of that cutesy rubbish and lame jokes.

Edited by SwordOwaR

4 hours ago, SwordOwaR said:

Darth Maul, so to re-enforce that he's Maul he has to show his light saber? Which brings us to the time line, did he come back after 'The Phantom Menace'? or is this film set before then?

He was brought back in the Clone Wars series, around 2011-ish I believe, and was also featured quite heavily in Rebels.

I think all Star Wars movies have bad moments, slow moments, plot holes, etc.
In spite of that, the movies have something else going on with them that makes the person watching it either love it, hate it or have no special feeling about it. It changes with the movie and with the person.
Those that you love, you just love with warts and all.
Those that you hate, you cannot keep yourself from looking at their warts.

I think all the complaining about femnazism, SJW, political agendas are just warts people that hate the movies cannot help but see on them.
Those aren't likely the things that make them hate them, but the ones that most easily come to mind when criticizing them.
Why they (we) hate them, it depends on the movie and the person, but as it's been said, it's not like Star Wars didn't have strong female leads, political commentary, or even implied sexual themes a couple of times before.

Yeah so did anyone else catch the plot hole in the beginning where Han enters Lady Proximas at the dead of night and escapes five minutes later in the bright daylight of mid-morning?

(Not bashing, I still love this movie over R1/TFA/TLJ)

33 minutes ago, SpikeSpiegel said:

Yeah so did anyone else catch the plot hole in the beginning where Han enters Lady Proximas at the dead of night and escapes five minutes later in the bright daylight of mid-morning?

(Not bashing, I still love this movie over R1/TFA/TLJ)

Huh. Maybe the sun was blotted out by a star destroyer being assembled? Maybe Han just really had to compose himself before entering. Maybe the sun on Correlia rises really freaking fast?

22 hours ago, pnewman15 said:

"The Republic" = The Roman Republic. "The Empire" = The Roman Empire. Both are evil societies with slavery, but the Empire is worse than the Republic because all the bad things from the Republic are turned up to 11.

Actually, the Empire was originally modelled on the British Empire with the rebels being American. Why do you think the Empire is full of upstanding British citizens and the rebels are all cowboys?

And yes, I'm a Brit that plays as Rebels in most games.

1 hour ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

TLJ was sooo Good. I just cannot get my head around any Star Wars fan not liking it I just Cannot! understand, really bends my noggin thinking about it.

I rewatched it Saturday. It’s fantastic. Ok Canto is a weak part, but the highs are really high. Rey/Kylo Luke storyline is fantastic. 

The showdown between Luke and Kylo at the end was perfect, as was Luke’s death. That scene was so powerful. 

In my headspace rewrites, I’d cut Canto, extend the space battle at the beginning (need way more Tallie!) Extend Rey’s training and change the way how they get onto Snoke’s ship. (Because I cut Canto).  I liked the kid at the very end though so ...

On 6/2/2018 at 4:08 PM, Commander Kaine said:

No, but I liked Solo :D 

I'm not a racist, or sexist or anything. I don't like stupid people, and I don't think we should let them exist. 

So eugenics?

Honestly, statements like that make you seem like a sociopath/psychopath. 

5 minutes ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

Canto is weak for sure, but the other stuff more than makes up for it, Luke realising about Han just from hearing the falcon, and asking the question he already knows the answer to, gets me in my gut every single time. so well done.

Yeah, Mark Hamil was just grand. I'm sad he is unlikely to ever feature in a star wars movie - I don't think a prequel to the ST dealing with Lukes Jedi order is likely in his lifespan.

As for Solo. I do think theres awkward moments. L3's sawing through the fence with her crotch saw....

One thing that realy irks me and I think is unforgivable is that the reveal of the Marauder leader (taking her helmet off) was super awkward, as it was made out to be a big reveal, I felt i should know who she is but i didn't , Han exchanges glances with Chewie, this is significant?

Then it hit me that I was meant to be shocked that it was a girl, and i feel that's bad, girls can be marauder leaders, TFA and TLJ have both tried hard to not have it seem special that a woman can do things, they just are people (who knew?) so like this focus on "Oh it's a girl" felt like a step back, how is "it's a girl" a plot twist worth dwelling on?

49 minutes ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

As for Solo. I do think theres awkward moments. L3's sawing through the fence with her crotch saw....

One thing that realy irks me and I think is unforgivable is that the reveal of the Marauder leader (taking her helmet off) was super awkward, as it was made out to be a big reveal, I felt i should know who she is but i didn't , Han exchanges glances with Chewie, this is significant?

Then it hit me that I was meant to be shocked that it was a girl, and i feel that's bad, girls can be marauder leaders, TFA and TLJ have both tried hard to not have it seem special that a woman can do things, they just are people (who knew?) so like this focus on "Oh it's a girl" felt like a step back, how is "it's a girl" a plot twist worth dwelling on?

It probably is more about her age. She barely looks 18 and already is involved in pretty heavy stuff.