Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

I liked it, enough I'll see it another time or two after the opening weekend. I didn't mind the Maul reference even though I only got his connection through sheer osmosis of other fans knowledge than having actually watched Rebels. L337, I liked her quite a bit but there were a few times her dialogue was a bit... too meta level political rather then in universe. Or at least they felt that way without a bit more establishing backstory on her. I actually would have liked to have been shown the event Han got thrown out of the Academy for and even a few scenes of him in pilot training showing us how good a star pilot he is. No the hover car chase was not sufficient  in that respect, as it would have little translation to ship piloting skills. I liked Han, but the supporting cast really stole the show which was a small shame considering this was a movie about Solo. I can see there is room for a sequel for the jobs he gets with Jabba, maybe ending that movie with him dumping the cargo that puts him debt to the crimelord.

If it loses money it likely won't be because of the film itself.

After The Last Jedi, there has been a concentrated effort and campaign by some to ensure future Star Wars films are financial failures until Kathleen Kennedy is removed as the overseer of the franchise by Disney. So there are quite a few people who are refusing to go see this movie, regardless of it's own merits, because they perceive her as being the architect of Star Wars downfall and feel the only way to get Disneys' attention is with their wallets. Which they aren't wrong about, getting Disneys attention I mean. I'll not touch on my opinion of The Force Awakens or Last Jedi here as this is about the Solo movie.

This film has changed what the Star Wars universe means to me.  It is a much darker and depressing galaxy than I ever imagined - poverty, slavery, oppression in abundance.  What gets me is these things seem deeply grained and haven’t happened since the rise of the Empire.  So what were the Jedi or Republic doing for 1,000 years?  Quite why the Rebellion formed with the aim of restoring the Republic is now beyond me.  It appears it was just a less bad Empire for the masses - is the Alliance based on proganda and lies?  This film had no “hope” in it and left me feeling depressed.  Maybe that was the point?  Or maybe I’m too idealistic?

As a movie it’s OK.  There’s some good laughs sprinkled in, the droid stole the show (again the droids act better than most their human counterparts) and I liked the linkage with the rest of the universe.  Lando was a real highlight for me.  Brilliantly acted and scripted.

I didn’t like the Han shot first sequence.  He came over a too ruthless for me.  Unlike the cantina scene where he is backed into a corner, here I felt there were options other than a cold blooded killing.  I know why they did it but didn’t like it.

Of course this is my perspective.  I really love Rogue One, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.  This one didn’t rock my boat.  I’m not into the scum side of the universe so there’s an obstacle there.  I found it to be just average comic book style film.  If you’re into scum I can see why you’d like it more.

Hope I’ve not offended anyone who enjoyed it.  I’ve tried to be measured and tempered in my thoughts.  I didn’t hate the film but it could’ve been so much more.

13 minutes ago, Sasajak said:

This film has changed what the Star Wars universe means to me.  It is a much darker and depressing galaxy than I ever imagined - poverty, slavery, oppression in abundance.  What gets me is these things seem deeply grained and haven’t happened since the rise of the Empire.  So what were the Jedi or Republic doing for 1,000 years?  Quite why the Rebellion formed with the aim of restoring the Republic is now beyond me.  It appears it was just a less bad Empire for the masses - is the Alliance based on proganda and lies?  This film had no “hope” in it and left me feeling depressed.  Maybe that was the point?  Or maybe I’m too idealistic?

As a movie it’s OK.  There’s some good laughs sprinkled in, the droid stole the show (again the droids act better than most their human counterparts) and I liked the linkage with the rest of the universe.  Lando was a real highlight for me.  Brilliantly acted and scripted.

I didn’t like the Han shot first sequence.  He came over a too ruthless for me.  Unlike the cantina scene where he is backed into a corner, here I felt there were options other than a cold blooded killing.  I know why they did it but didn’t like it.

Of course this is my perspective.  I really love Rogue One, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.  This one didn’t rock my boat.  I’m not into the scum side of the universe so there’s an obstacle there.  I found it to be just average comic book style film.  If you’re into scum I can see why you’d like it more.

Hope I’ve not offended anyone who enjoyed it.  I’ve tried to be measured and tempered in my thoughts.  I didn’t hate the film but it could’ve been so much more.

Yes the Republic was no paradise.

But much like the original trilogy some people grab hold of the past like it was perfection regardless of its flaws.

I suspect the fact this came out only 6 months after the last one is why the box office is looking grim. It felt a lot like a Marvel movie in terms of feel. Nothing we haven’t seen before, but we’ll packaged. 

It is a way better movie that we had any expectation for it to be, given how it had the potential to offend fans due to large scale retcons. The term Hyperfuel put me on edge at first...but coaxium was ok. That said, the forced change to calling it spice later and retconning that spice from Kessel as no longer a drug was a bit of a bummer, but i’m Ok with that.  

14 minutes ago, ID X T said:

That said, the forced change to calling it spice later and retconning that spice from Kessel as no longer a drug was a bit of a bummer, but i’m Ok with that.  

Maybe I missed something but I don't think spice and the Coaxium/Hyperfuel are the same thing. It seems to me that Kessel produces both spice AND unrefined hyperfuel but I can't be certain until I get my hands on the official visual guide.

Saw it wednesday so had a while to think about it, Overall it wasn't too bad but just a bit too many memberberries. I wished they hadn't done all the super Obvious references, the kessel run, han winning the falcon, those stupid dice from last jedi, Lando's disguise from Jedi, becket giving Han that Blaster, Han getting the Solo name, etc. They were all just a bit too on the nose for me,  I actually liked the references to bossk and aurra sing, stuff like that is way better to show a connection without rubbing your face in it. I think it would have been a better movie if they hadn't mentioned the Kesselrun, and finished the movie with Lando still the owner of the Falcon. Honestly they basicly put in everything I didn't want to see in a Han Solo prequel movie.

Anyone had the feeling Enfys Nest had a connection to Saw? one of the alien goons looked exactly like one of Saw's guys, but that may just be a case of all aliens looking the same :P

5 minutes ago, Mr Tough Guy said:

Anyone had the feeling Enfys Nest had a connection to Saw? one of the alien goons looked exactly like one of Saw's guys, but that may just be a case of all aliens looking the same :P

Yup, the two tubes.

Somehow related, I'm happy to see familiar aliens in the background, like Twi'leks and Rodians. For some bizzare reason the sequels, despite aping the OT in most aspects, decided to completely ditch the old aliens, nice that at least anthology movies are happening in the same universe.

37 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Yes the Republic was no paradise.

But much like the original trilogy some people grab hold of the past like it was perfection regardless of its flaws.

I really wish Star Wars would explore this aspect more. How much some people are into the Rebellion because they feel Republic was good, and how much they're into it for personal reasons (anything from desiring personal power to personal vendettas against the Empire). 

26 minutes ago, Mr Tough Guy said:

I think it's the same character, Endrio Two Tubes. Costume is almost exactly the same and we know Enfyst Nest's gang are rebels so it's highly possible that her crew or at least Endrio will eventual join up with Saw Gerrerra.

I hate to be Captain Buzz Kill, but I was honestly bored. Predictable double crosses, bad Han Solo cosplayer acting, and boring. I haven't been so bored in a movie for years.  

Edit: more power to anyone who enjoyed it. Different strokes and all. Pewpew! 

For casual games, since FFG already gave us an escape pod token.

Escape Pod Release (1 pt) (Illicit) (Millennium Falcon Only)

You may deploy 1 escape pod token from your front guides with a 5 straight template. If the template or the token overlaps a ship, that ship suffers one critical damage. 

59 minutes ago, Wraithdt said:

Maybe I missed something but I don't think spice and the Coaxium/Hyperfuel are the same thing. It seems to me that Kessel produces both spice AND unrefined hyperfuel but I can't be certain until I get my hands on the official visual guide.

That’s entirely possible, but also would be quite “convenient”. Have to see it again. 

I have to agree that it was boring.

Nostalgia is nostalgia, and I liked the way they presented all the familiar stories (the names, the Kessel Run, the sabacc game, etc), just like Rogue One.

But that doesn't carry a movie. I didn't do anything to make me invested in the characters or the story.

I don‘t think the Han actor was the problem.

The plot was fine, but the way it was told was a bit boring.

TFA had a great start into the movie, the bonding between characters was extremely well made. Solo on the other hand only showed us how he and Chewie got along, which is the most important bond of course but they also try to sell other relationships

59 minutes ago, Sasajak said:

They were first seen in A New Hope but have subsequently been elevated to something special rather than a prop item.

They were only ever really a version of fluffy dice and a 70s pop culture thing.