Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

14 hours ago, PastrySandwich said:

I mean besides the fact that Han just giving up all the fuel, while he has nothing to his name ( I mean he still doesn't even have a ship at this point, AND THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE) to the marauders because they told him some, unverified, sob story that has no relation to him(...)

Well, the alternative to giving up the fuel was to be shot, lose the fuel and be dead. Han's goal was to free Qi'Ra from Coruscant. At this moment of the movie, a ship was no longer necessary. But anyway, the alternive was dying.

Edited by Cartchan
fat fingers

On 5/27/2018 at 11:10 AM, Pooleman said:

I do agree with is hate for TLJ. The whole Finn and Rose “rich people are bad” arc was nakedly pointed. 

If that was your takeaway from that scene, you really were not paying attention. The point wasn't that people with wealth were bad, but that there is a very real moral question to be asked regarding directly materially profiting from an ongoing war and the deaths of others.

On 5/27/2018 at 11:32 PM, Mackaywarrior said:

Honestly, it’s because of one line during the revolt scene. She calls her fellow droids “compatriots” which gave it a VERY strong yet subtle soviet undertone.

I wanted more Harriet Tubman and less Lenin.

I know it was subtle and an easily vague throw away line but it’s big to me. Not enough to stop enjoying the movie but enough for me to be annoyed by her character.

Compatriot (noun)
1. a person born, residing, or holding citizenship in the same country as another

Etymology:
French compatriote, from Late Latin compatriota, from Latin com- + Late Latin patriota fellow countryman

This isn't 'subtle', this is you projecting hard based on some seriously conspiracy-theory level hangups.

1 hour ago, Aaron Foss said:

If that was your takeaway from that scene, you really were not paying attention. The point wasn't that people with wealth were bad, but that there is a very real moral question to be asked regarding directly materially profiting from an ongoing war and the deaths of others.

And as I’ve already clarified, little kids that see the movie will not draw those conclusions. They will simply see that “rich people are bad”. 

I really enjoyed the film.

The cast overall was really quite good. Glover was amazing.

Seeing the friendship between Han and Chewbacca grow was great, and I absolutely bought in to their scenes.

I loved L3, and I absolutely, vehemently disagree with the read that she was written as some kind of joke or takedown of activism. L3 finally pushed against the widespread in-universe acceptance of the slavery of sapient artificial life forms. The commentary has been there since A New Hope, obviously, but this was the first time (in a mainstream film) that the issue was directly addressed. I read Lando's exasperation with her raising the issue as being because it interfered with his business, not because everyone thought she was silly.

I also loved that we finally got to see not just how Han got the Falcon, but how the Falcon got her heart. The fact that in Empire, the Falcon's navigation computer points out Bespin? That's not a coincidence - L3 wanted to see Lando again.

All the wonderful little details that were nods to classic Han/Lando Legends material and all the little references were delightful. Seeing Warwick Davis among Nest's crew was great.

Maul's scene was interesting, but would have been substantially better without the saber. Maul (as played by Sam Witwer) has been terrifying, clever, and deeply scary at times. He didn't need to force pull the saber into frame and ignite it to be scary.

While I agree that Qi'ra crossing Han in the end was well within expectations, I felt that the script and acting did a capable job of making me believe that Qi'ra didn't know she was going to do it until Voss was dead. I don't think she planned what was going to happen in that room, but at that inflection point, she saw the chance she had and she made her choice.

5 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

And as I’ve already clarified, little kids that see the movie will not draw those conclusions. They will simply see that “rich people are bad”. 

Well gosh, that sounds like a super convenient lead-in to talking to children about the aforementioned moral issues being referenced... It's almost like art and entertainment can act as a catalyst for examining our world and how we relate to it. Shocking!

Edited by Aaron Foss

Entertaining movie.  Almost, a well-executed space-heist movie ...

But wow, this had to lift a heavy weight, it almost collapsed.  Movie designed by committee? 

It looks like they had a large board hanging in the director's room with a long list of checkboxes.  I guess they managed to check all of them.  Han met Chewie - check.  Playing Poker Sabacc in the back room - check.  Falcon crashed and recovered - check.  Tentacle space monster - check.  Kessel run - check.  Lando wearing shirts - check.  Maul w/ lightsaber - check.  Han shot first - check.  Exhaustive name dropping (see list in appendix) - check.  Robot side kick with weird character - check.  Train robbery scene - check.  Car chase - check.  Everybody betraying each other, multiple times - check.  Drugs Coaxium being fake and not fake - check.  And so on, ...

Fortunately, director and cast did a decent job.  But after I left the cinema, I thought - what could this have become (with the same actors), if the scripting would have been free of such a mountain of self-references?

Please, stop doing prequels.  Now.  Do something original.  The SW galaxy should have room for more.

I really Liked Solo. I was expecting to absolutely hate it. But I didn't I enjoyed it. Good.

Maul's scene was interesting, but would have been substantially better without the saber. Maul (as played by Sam Witwer) has been terrifying, clever, and deeply scary at times. He didn't need to force pull the saber into frame and ignite it to be scary.

This is just so people know it's him that aren't uber fans (like us) that recognise the voice / notice the leg. One guy I know still didn't think it was him even after the lightsaber bit, he still thought it was just another force user of the same species, becasue everyone not familiar with the cartoons still thinks he died in TPM. And there are a lot f Star Wars fans that don't watch cartoons.

Oh but the holograms are always blue so all the red in it was pretty odd. 

15 minutes ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

This is just so people know it's him that aren't uber fans (like us) that recognise the voice / notice the leg. One guy I know still didn't think it was him even after the lightsaber bit, he still thought it was just another force user of the same species, becasue everyone not familiar with the cartoons still thinks he died in TPM. And there are a lot f Star Wars fans that don't watch cartoons. 

Oh, I get why they did it, I just think it wasn't needed. It's not actually important that people who don't know that it's Maul know that it's maul. If he was read by the audience as a scary crime boss, that's all he actually needs to be for the film. People who know who he is get it, people who don't know don't have to to make the scene work.

13 minutes ago, Aaron Foss said:

Oh, I get why they did it, I just think it wasn't needed. It's not actually important that people who don't know that it's Maul know that it's maul. If he was read by the audience as a scary crime boss, that's all he actually needs to be for the film. People who know who he is get it, people who don't know don't have to to make the scene work.

Nah. They would end up confused, it's great knowing that it's Maul and it's unfair to leave them out of that. It wasn't needed for you to get that it's him, but it was needed for others, and it is important for others to get that, so they can share in it. You just want to feel special. And you are special. To me.

I think it's important becasue it was basically an after the credits scene from a Marvel film, it's saying this is where we are going with the midquel saga and it's going to be cool.

I wonder if he is working for the emperor, there were comments made that the cartels are basically in league with the empire an give how Clone Wars left Mauls story i'd guess he is under the thumb again at this point?  

2 hours ago, Aaron Foss said:

To be fair, the dialogue isn't "Gee, some of these people made money selling guns" but "Only one business gets you this rich." Implying that all people with that level of wealth had to be arms dealers. Which is just silly, and it came off a little preachy. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but that was a weak moment.

1 hour ago, Pooleman said:

A case could certainly be made that that's mostly true, especially for the galactic 1% we saw on Canto Bight. Is it Bight or Bite?

Just now, Talonbane Cobra said:

You guys have all spoiled Last Jedi for me, haven't seen it yet. I thought this was a Solo Spoiler thread not Last Jedi. Cheers. No point watching it now. 

Well geez man, it HAS been out for like seven months. I think after the film has been on DVD for more than a month, all bets are off when it comes to spoilers.

44 minutes ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

You guys have all spoiled Last Jedi for me, haven't seen it yet. I thought this was a Solo Spoiler thread not Last Jedi. Cheers. No point watching it now. 

A strange development on a Star Wars related forum half a year after the movie came out. Strange.... The audacity of some people to talk about star wars in a star wars forum.

4 hours ago, Aaron Foss said:

Well gosh, that sounds like a super convenient lead-in to talking to children about the aforementioned moral issues being referenced... It's almost like art and entertainment can act as a catalyst for examining our world and how we relate to it. Shocking!

Yup, cause every 7 year old is eager to discuss the varying intricacies of moral relativism, class warefare, and the subtlties  of media propaganda, political agendas and how they are delicately woven into our everyday lives. ?

4 hours ago, Canopus said:

Please, stop doing prequels.  Now.  Do something original.  The SW galaxy should have room for more.

Well, the sequels are experiencing a backlash not seen since...I don’t know.  So we have 5 prequels now, one of which everyone seemed to have loved (R1) despite it being pretty slow to start and featuring a new cast that (spoilers) dies in the end.  (And everyone’s favorite scenes still show OT characters and ships wrecking things like they did in the OT, but cranked up to 11) And 4 sequels with only the first (ep 5) being considered on par or superior to the original and all the others being rehashes trying to catch that lightning again by being safe or straying too far to be daring like ESB but being universally panned for defying expectations.

lets face it, just stop making SW altogether.  We got two near-perfect movies 4 decades ago, let’s admit the franchise has been coasting ever since.

I think that these Scum and Villainy saga films won't really be prequels (solo aside) they will be like a new story, just set in an interesting time period, the empire being in control and the rebellion being a thing is just an interesting setting to tell these stories in but I think the crime syndicate / bounty hunter stuff, with Maul as this overarching enemy could make a decent series of films.

I thought Solo had lows and highs, it's highs weren't as good as TLJ's highs and it's lows weren't as bad as TLJ's lows, i enjoyed it.

I thought Han getting the name "solo" from the imperial officer was really cringey and bad, i thought it should have ended just as Qi'Ra flew away, and left the  "Han funded the rebellion" and him winning the Falcon stuff out. 

He could win the falcon in a later film and it was about ready to finish at that point, but overall i think it's a way better film than R1, it actually has characters that develop and not just ones that are there to be sad when others die like Shooty McGunFace .

I don't really like R1. It's not a good film, just a Star Wars greatest hits tour, with some really odd Vader hero worship and a massive plot hole ending.  And the Tarkin CGI oh man, so bad.